Ignition only using 3-wire VIOFO hardwire kit?

Axg97

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, I have a VIOFO A129 dual dash cam and the VIOFO 3wire hardwire kit. At the moment, I do not wish to use parking mode. Can I still use this hardwire kit?

Should i then only fuse tap the red wire, which is originally meant for constant on, to an ACC/ignition fuse so it turns on when I press my start stop button, and leave the yellow wire, originally for ACC, unplugged? Will this cause the battery power to drain and leak/waste through the unplugged yellow wire?

Or do I just tap both (red to constant on, yellow to acc) and just turn off parking mode from the setting? Will this prevent battery draining or will it still drain battery?

Many thanks!

Hi Jokiin, thanks for your quick reply! Another stupid question but is there a way to check if power is still being used even if the setting is off?

Like for example, from my limited understanding, a laptop will still be charging even if the device itself is off as long as it is plugged in to the charger. Or does the parking mode setting turning to OFF cut off the power going to the dash cam ompletely?

With the camera off, it will use so little power that it is hard to measure, no need to worry about it.

You could also connect both red and yellow wire to the same fuse tap and plug that into a switched fuse, then it would genuinely be off.

it doesn't cut power at the power supply, there's an LED in the power supply that will have some minimal power draw (0.012mAh according to my lab power supply), as @Nigel said already wire it to ACC if you're concerned about that

You could wire it with just red and black with red to a switched live so it's only on while driving.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

You could wire it with just red and black with red to a switched live so it's only on while driving.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It won't wake up unless you connect the yellow to +ve.

say again?
Well the camera I've just been testing doesn't wake up until you connect the yellow wire, but thinking about it, maybe the A129 does, and it doesn't enter parked mode until the yellow has been connected and then disconnected.

Normally, drive mode is when red and yellow are connected, thus it makes sense to connect them both to power if you only want to use it in normal drive mode.

Well the camera I've just been testing doesn't wake up until you connect the yellow wire, but thinking about it, maybe the A129 does, and it doesn't enter parked mode until the yellow has been connected and then disconnected.
if you have used it in 3 wire park mode it needs the ACC to turn on and off, if you just connect B+ and ground the camera will power on just like it does with a 2 wire power source

I would still connect it correctly and just turn parking mode off in the menu though as the preferred option

All three wires needs to be connected. I just tested this to confirm.
they must have changed something in the power supply then, my mistake, they went to our supplier for the power supply but they must have different firmware to our version

they must have changed something in the power supply then, my mistake, they went to our supplier for the power supply but they must have different firmware to our version
For some reason I thought the Street Guardian ones did the same.

Could anyone advice which two fuses to tap into? I don't have a sunroof and I have a Mazda 3 SP25 sedan 2018. My centre console socket and front dash 2x USB ports are only ACC power not constant on as well.

imgur.com/gallery/oOwg7hp

Back