I'll just ease out of this spot...

@DT MI ,
You have to perceive rules depending upon situations.
If speed limit is 65, do you drive at 65 even if there are cars going much slower?
What about icy conditions?
That is perceived rule according to the driving conditions.
You can't follow rule all the time and I know you haven't as it's not possible to follow rules strictly.

Why did you rear end me?
>Speed limit is 65 so I was going 65, you were going slow. I follow law so I'm right, you are wrong. ;)

Anywho, what I'm saying is you can put the law in the back burner but don't/cant' follow it to the book everywhere or someone will get run over.
Maybe driver won't get charged but that's not the point I'm making. The point is if slowing down, checking for pedestrians, stopping for few seconds avoids an accident, why not, specially when you know there are going to be people walking all over?
In high pedestrian areas like mall, grocery stores, movie halls etc..., regardless of whether or not pedestrians are following law, drivers need to watch out for them and most do whether they like it or not.
And we agree on the point that pedestrians should follow rules but they don't so we frown.

Last edited:
Here's some examples of the brilliant mind's work behind the design of these two supermarkets' car park walkways:
Estacionamento PD.png Estacionamento Modelo 1.png Estacionamento Modelo 2.png Estacionamento Modelo 3.png

@DT MI ,
You have to perceive rules depending upon situations.
If speed limit is 65, do you drive at 65 even if there are cars going much slower?
What about icy conditions?
That is perceived rule according to the driving conditions....
Actually that's more 'common sense' than a perceived rule, and I think we both agree that there is a serious lack of that. Also, most jurisdictions require you to reduce speed under less than ideal conditions - i.e. 'reasonable and prudent' or 'driving too fast for conditions'.

@DT MI ,...
Why did you rear end me?
>Speed limit is 65 so I was going 65, you were going slow. I follow law so I'm right, you are wrong. ;)....
Bad example because the speed limit is that fastest you can legally travel, not the slowest.

@DT MI ,...
The point is if slowing down, checking for pedestrians, stopping for few seconds avoids an accident, why not, specially when you know there are going to be people walking all over?
In high pedestrian areas like mall, grocery stores, movie halls etc..., regardless of whether or not pedestrians are following law, drivers need to watch out for them and most do whether they like it or not....
And do I, if I didn't the little old lady in the video I posted would not be with us any more. :(

Here's some examples of the brilliant mind's work behind the design of these two supermarkets' car park walkways
Come on man. You had to GIMP that. No one could have stood there and said. You know a good place for a cross walk Jim? Right behind all these parked up cars.

Here
is where a driver hit someone in a crosswalk and was found not guilty because their light was green
I have seen it a few other times as well in different news outlets

Come on man. You had to GIMP that. No one could have stood there and said. You know a good place for a cross walk Jim? Right behind all these parked up cars.
I had to look up the meaning of GIMP, so no. Unfortunately it's the real deal.

The problem is that even though it's not a crosswalk, if there's an accident with a pedestrian it's treated as one.

Last edited:
I had to look up the meaning of GIMP
Sorry about that. everyone seems to say photoshoped, but GIMP is free, and since I am back and forth between Linux and Windows it makes life easier as well.

Sorry about that. everyone seems to say photoshoped, but GIMP is free, and since I am back and forth between Linux and Windows it makes life easier as well.
that's why i say "Gimp-shop" or "photo-chopped"

power users still call it "The GIMP" though. ;)

Sorry about that. everyone seems to say photoshoped, but GIMP is free, (...)
I looked it up because I know the word "gimp" as a song title from Judas Priest's vocalist Rob Halford first solo project, 2wo, and I was certain it had nothing to do with it. :)

yeah those open source programmers try to act like they have a sense of humor, with recursive names like LIVES Is Video Editing Software, or a chat program called BitchX... because why not? :p

I looked it up because I know the word "gimp" as a song title from Judas Priest's vocalist Rob Halford first solo project, 2wo,
I didn't know he had a Solo project other then Halford.
I'll have to look into it thanks.

Here's some examples of the brilliant mind's work behind the design of these two supermarkets' car park walkways:
We have quite a few like that here, position wise. But their markings are never the same as on an official pedestrian crossing. Mostly they have yellow borders and pedestrian logos.

Ah, here we go...

carparkwalkway.jpg

Last edited:
Great, my perception is any pedestrian doing stupid stuff outside of designated pedestrian areas are legal targets for a moving vehicle and are taking all associated risks with forethought and acceptance of the consequences. :D
Before anyone jumps on me about that comment IT WAS A JOKE!!!!
Joke? I think there would be fewer accidents if that was how things worked!
The best way to stop pedestrians getting hit is by segregation, and the best way to create segregation is making pedestrians act responsibly, and having clear definitions of where they should or shouldn't be.
The whole concept of "They're vulnerable, so we won't hold them responsible for anything" doesn't hold water for me.

parking lots are generally a free-for-all in the states except at designated crosswalks in front of store entrances. once you're in the actual vehicle parking area, people just go wherever. it's rare, but i have seen some raised (or at least painted) sidewalks/ped areas, but they're almost exclusively for the disabled parking spots up front, usually doing double duty as wheelchair ramp access.

Joke? I think there would be fewer accidents if that was how things worked!...
It would but, unfortunately, it would be a socially unacceptable approach to the problem.

I didn't know he had a Solo project other then Halford.
I'll have to look into it thanks.
Yes, back in 98, when he left JP. It was produced by, guess who, Trent Reznor. It's one of the most underrated industrial rock/metal albuns ever made.

We have quite a few like that here, position wise. But their markings are never the same as on an official pedestrian crossing. Mostly they have yellow borders and pedestrian logos.

Ah, here we go...

View attachment 17936
The underground car parks around here also have those, not the striped ones. We don't generally consider that a crosswalk like the others on the surface car parks. Those are just dumb!

Back