I'll just ease out of this spot...

CD55

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was backing out of a parking spot and someone walks behind me.
Almost as irritating as my G1W-C not keeping the proper date.

I get this all the time. My van has no rear windows, making it especially dumb. (I have a reversing camera, but they don't know that, and it points downwards so I can't see very far behind me.)
I've taken to using hazard lights as I reverse (ever since I realised I only have one reversing light.) Doesn't make much difference, tbh.

PPL :rolleyes:

Cant live with them, and they get mighty pissed if you start shooting them, and i dont get that as the dumbass numbers is off the scale by now.

I get this all the time. My van has no rear windows, making it especially dumb. (I have a reversing camera, but they don't know that, and it points downwards so I can't see very far behind me.)
I've taken to using hazard lights as I reverse (ever since I realised I only have one reversing light.) Doesn't make much difference, tbh.

check your local auto parts store and you can get reversing bulbs that have a buzzer built in which will beep while you're reversing

check your local auto parts store and you can get reversing bulbs that have a buzzer built in which will beep while you're reversing
Brilliant idea. I was all set to pull the trigger and order some but checked the legal situation and it's a bit of a minefield in the UK. Since it's a company van I better leave it as is.
A shame. I park in supermarket car parks many times a day and have to access my rear doors - so that means parking forwards and reversing out. And there's something about supermarkets that turns shoppers into mindless zombies. It's really depressing to observe their behaviour on a daily basis.

Brilliant idea. I was all set to pull the trigger and order some but checked the legal situation and it's a bit of a minefield in the UK. Since it's a company van I better leave it as is.
A shame. I park in supermarket car parks many times a day and have to access my rear doors - so that means parking forwards and reversing out. And there's something about supermarkets that turns shoppers into mindless zombies. It's really depressing to observe their behaviour on a daily basis.
seems to me anything to reduce the company's liability would be a good thing. only reason i could see a beeping backup warning as a problem is perhaps in a residential area, late at night, due to noise ordinances. one of our neighbors had a work truck with one of those beepers, and every morning at 5:30 am he'd wake everyone up simply by leaving for work. thankfully, it was just a rental and he moved out after a couple months, but that sure was annoying. he could have backed into the drive each evening when he got home and then driven straight out in the morning so he wouldn't wake us all up, but that would require forethought and consideration for others.

I park in supermarket car parks many times a day and have to access my rear doors - so that means parking forwards and reversing out. And there's something about supermarkets that turns shoppers into mindless zombies.
And to make matters worse, supermarket car park designers put pedestrian walkways behind the parking spots! We have a lot of that around here. If you hit a "zombie" when reversing, you're screwed. Fortunately they avoid the walkways like the plague! :D

Perfect example of that starting at 0:24 of this video -
Crossing from front in shopping store's parking lot is okay.
Actually, the parking lot and those streets in front of stores are considered pedestrian safe and drivers should yield plus the speed is less than 10mph anyways.

What I don't like is the same as OP.
I'm backing up, have reverse lights on and people from 10 yards away just keep on coming without ever a pause.
Sometimes, I have to wait for a while before they clear up and quite a few are fiddling their phones, not even looking if cars are moving or not. :mad:

When I get out of Walmart or mall and see someone's backing up little ahead, I pause and let them reverse or I make sure they saw me and stopped for me.
I consider it really risky to walk behind vehicles and often walk on the side walks that's in between the parking lanes.

Crossing from front in shopping store's parking lot is okay.
Actually, the parking lot and those streets in front of stores are considered pedestrian safe and drivers should yield plus the speed is less than 10mph anyways.....
Maybe that's the case in Denver but not everywhere.

From the Michigan Secretary of State web site:

Pedestrians are reminded to:
  • Walk on the side of the road as far to the left as possible or on a paved shoulder AGAINST oncoming traffic where there are no sidewalks;
  • Cross the street at an intersection or designated crosswalk when possible and always stop, look left, right, and left again before crossing. Do not rely solely on pedestrian traffic signals;
  • Come to the edge of a parked vehicle, stop and look both ways if it's blocking the view of the street before entering the street. This is also recommended before crossing in front of a stopped vehicle at an intersection if there are additional lanes traveling in the same direction;
  • Try to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them and do not assume that because you can see the driver, the driver can see you;
  • Watch for cars that are turning or backing up;
  • Be vigilant in parking lots, especially when accompanying small children;
One of the reasons I decided to get a dash cam occurred in this exact location. I was coming the opposite way and a girl busy texting stepped off the sidewalk not in front of but nearly into the side of my car. She was totally oblivious...

@DT MI of course the law is there but I was talking about normal driving behavior and perceived rules in those parking lots.
You won't run over just because they are not on a crosswalk sign and they don't stop walking even if there is no crosswalk. You may get mad and frown but won't hit them and they know that.
If it were regular streets with higher speed, yes, it'll be hard to stop in time even if driver sees someone or something crossing the road.

As long as driver sees pedestrians and/or pedestrians see vehicles, it normally doesn't end up in bad situation.
It's when both are not aware of each other that ends up bad and it'll be always the pedestrians that'll suffer and that's more on reverse than heading front looking ahead.

Last edited:
@ Sunny
It says you mentioned me in the above post, but I didn't notice it.

About as much use as a chocolate teapot.
They are installed inside a fitting which is sealed off to the outside world - to prevent water getting into the bulb.
This also prevents sound getting out - OK, so not completely but against the normal background sounds of a typical town, they are pretty useless. Even from the inside, they are barely audible.

@DT MI of course the law is there but I was talking about .... perceived rules...
So instead of abiding by actual rules we'll go by what we (each individual) perceive them to be?

Great, my perception is any pedestrian doing stupid stuff outside of designated pedestrian areas are legal targets for a moving vehicle and are taking all associated risks with forethought and acceptance of the consequences. :D

Before anyone jumps on me about that comment IT WAS A JOKE!!!!

It also illustrates the reason there are actual, legally enacted, written rules that everyone is responsible for knowing and following.

Back