Im utterly confused and frustrated!

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know Ive posted on this before, but after performing tests, Im just not satisfied with the results. I did several event button recordings to see if they would be consistent in their length. They were not. One file would be 1:03 long, another :32, another 4:15, another 3:39 etc. One would save the event the moment I pressed, another would save 30 sec earlier plus some after I pushed it. Im wondering if some of the events were triggered by the g-sensor event recording feature. If you wreck, does it only save :40 just like pushing the event button, or no? Any ideas on the differing lengths recorded? (SGZC12SG)

the event button would normally save whatever is in the buffer, around 5 seconds prior to pressing the button, plus around 20 seconds after

are you using the camera in motion detect mode?

All of my files from normal recording are saved in 5:00 segments. I have motion detect set to off. I have gforce set to low. Im running 1080P recording. Its disheartening that I cant be confident Im getting what I want when I push the event button. Sometimes it records 3 min worth, then other times it records 39 sec worth.

My first dash cam seemed to lock up with no rhyme or reason until with my wife at the wheel I saw it lock on every bump. The g-sensor was set too low. Then a power wire broke in my plug. I'd pull and plug, mating the wires and later find it off. That was an early model with many issues that is now in the heap.

Eliminate all the cheap issues first. If one of them is the problem, it costs the same to fix after you spend big money on something else.

As too the event button, I suggest getting a card big enough to provide a day before overwriting the last file. This will keep the event safe while you deal with the event.

Its disheartening that I cant be confident Im getting what I want when I push the event button. Sometimes it records 3 min worth, then other times it records 39 sec worth.

it should only be doing the 39 seconds worth (or thereabouts), 5 seconds prior to the button press plus the 30 seconds or so after, the save functionality is geared around the automated event saves rather than manual events

I did an experiment today and recorded several events throughout the day with a verbal countdown so Id know when I pushed the event button. Here are my results. The first number (in seconds and minutes)is the time before pushing the event button that was saved and the second number is the total time saved for said event. The very last event is one that I actually wanted because an event occurred, but it didnt save far enough back to actually see the event. Other simulated events, other than one, saved far enough back. Any ideas why it is saving seemingly random times of clips and not a preset time of before and after pushing the button?
2:05-2:26
1:30-1:50
1:20-1:41
this event saved a total of 5:13, but without the actual pushing of event button recorded.
2:01-2:22
4:15-4:36
1:14-1:35
:44-1:05
:52-1:12

I noticed after initiating an event today that it actually saves the event outside of the normal flow of video. I thought it would just lock a clip and continue recording, but there is actually a gap between my normal footage and the event is saved separately as its own individual clip. I had an older camera that would just lock the file, but keep it in the normal flow of other clips. I think the reason Im getting clips of varying length depends on where the current clip is in its time. If a clip is at say, the 1 minute mark of its 5 total minutes, and you push the event button, it will save 20 seconds prior to pushing it and then however much time is left in the 5 minute clip. In this example, it would save an event clip of roughly 4:20. If you look at all of my above times I posted, all of the times will reflect that observation. The thing I cant figure out is how the camera still maintains 5 min clips on either side of the event. If it removes the event from the normal clip flow and leaves a gap, how does it finish the 5 min clip prior to the event?

Back