Image Stabilizer - Photo, Video or Both

TeriTerryTarry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Several action cams
I've been perplexed by the question of whether the image stabilizer for the SJ4000 Wi-Fi works in record mode, camera mode or both. According to an e-mail from support@sjcamhd.com, it works only when recording videos. Most website and video reviews of the camera that address the question say it only works while taking photos. Does anybody know for sure and could the manufacturer please state definitively in this thread what the answer is? Perhaps it depends on the date of manufacture or the firmware version. I purchased my camera in August 2015 from B&H Photo Video and the firmware is version G20150408V02. In actual operation I can't honestly tell. Thanks.

In reality it makes no difference.
In theory, it should prevent photo from being smudged when taking an image. For instance when you click shutter you make a shake and this feature should "neutralize" it .
In virtual reality it works as manufacturer says, but we do not live in virtual reality don't we?

It does not depend on firmware. I think their customer support mixed Gyro and this when answering to your question. I will tag @sjcam_official so he can reply to your question, since he is an official representative here.

In reality it makes no difference.
In theory, it should prevent photo from being smudged when taking an image. For instance when you click shutter you make a shake and this feature should "neutralize" it .
In virtual reality it works as manufacturer says, but we do not live in virtual reality don't we?

It does not depend on firmware. I think their customer support mixed Gyro and this when answering to your question. I will tag @sjcam_official so he can reply to your question, since he is an official representative here.

Thanks Pavle. I've never been sure about this.

I've been perplexed by the question of whether the image stabilizer for the SJ4000 Wi-Fi works in record mode, camera mode or both. According to an e-mail from support@sjcamhd.com, it works only when recording videos. Most website and video reviews of the camera that address the question say it only works while taking photos. Does anybody know for sure and could the manufacturer please state definitively in this thread what the answer is? Perhaps it depends on the date of manufacture or the firmware version. I purchased my camera in August 2015 from B&H Photo Video and the firmware is version G20150408V02. In actual operation I can't honestly tell. Thanks.

Hello, this is kind of how i described it on Techmoan's channel: +Techmoan Digital Image Stabilization is A.K.A. "Anti-Shake" - Most cameras that do not have Gyro do have Anti-shake (digital image stabilization). Gyro Stabilization is different - Gyro has an actual chip. When taking pictures it is actually better to turn Gyro Off. Gyro stabilization does not work with a swaying motion but upwards and downwards - so like if you are biking or using SJ5000x as dashcam turn on Gyro and WDR - you will notice a huge difference with Gyro turned on vs Gyro turn off. Hope this kind of explains it more clearly.

We are currently writing a new manual for SJCAM series cameras. It will be available for download for everyone in a month or so.

Hello, this is kind of how i described it on Techmoan's channel: +Techmoan Digital Image Stabilization is A.K.A. "Anti-Shake" - Most cameras that do not have Gyro do have Anti-shake (digital image stabilization). Gyro Stabilization is different - Gyro has an actual chip. When taking pictures it is actually better to turn Gyro Off. Gyro stabilization does not work with a swaying motion but upwards and downwards - so like if you are biking or using SJ5000x as dashcam turn on Gyro and WDR - you will notice a huge difference with Gyro turned on vs Gyro turn off. Hope this kind of explains it more clearly.

Unfortunately you did not answer the question: Does the image stabilizer for the SJ4000 Wi-Fi work in record mode, camera mode or both?

Unfortunately you did not answer the question: Does the image stabilizer for the SJ4000 Wi-Fi work in record mode, camera mode or both?

The Image Stabilizer if also known as Anti-shake. We recommend using this during Photos only.

Gyro which is on the SJ4000+ is for use while shooting videos. We recommend turning Gyro off during taking pictures.

The Image Stabilizer if also known as Anti-shake. We recommend using this during Photos only.

Gyro which is on the SJ4000+ is for use while shooting videos. We recommend turning Gyro off during taking pictures.

You still have not said when the image stabilizer actually operates, though your recommendation implies it works at least while shooting photos. Below you'll find a verbatim copy of an e-mail from SJCam support to me dated 7 September 2015. I asked three questions and you provided the answers as shown in italics. Having two different responses, please verify once and for all the answer to this question and only this question:

For the SJ4000 Wi-Fi only, with firmware version G20150408V02, when "Anti-Shaking" is turned on, does the image stabilizer work when recording videos only, when shooting photos only, or both?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: SJ4000 Wi-Fi: HDR, Image Size, AntiShaking (No subject)

SUPPORT@SJCAMHD.COM

|
Mon 9/7/2015 11:43 PM

To:
________@_____.com>

Mon 9/7/2015 11:43 PM

1. Does HDR mean High Dynamic Range? If yes, what are the effects of turning it On or Off and does it apply to both recording video and taking still photos?
Answer:YES, if you turn it on it means the degree of it slight spectrum camera can detect is increased, say for example when you go in a very dark room, or carry your camera around at night, you just turn on it become more sensitive to light, and when it feels overexposed, it can bear with more higher brightness.

2. Image Size offers a range of 1.3M to 12M. What is the maximum size photo without interpolation?
Answer: Real maximum size 3 Mega pixel.

3. Is Anti-Shaking an image stabilizer? If yes, does it apply to both recording video and taking still photos?
Answer:This is only a help for recording video.But since you raise this issue, we will consider increase a stabilizer program part for still photos.

Welcome to our HK Global Electronic Resourse Exhibition from 11th to 14th OCT at AsiaWorld-Expo ,Boot number is 1L02.
SJCAM
SZ Hongfeng century CO.,Ltd
www.sjcamHD.com

Factory:Second floor,Building C,Road 1,District 2 ShangXue Industrial ,LongGang,ShenZhen,China.
Tel 86-0755-84524750
Fax 86-0755-84524750
Any time , any question.
Best Regards
SJCAM

If you can't see the difference when you use it then...

If you can't see the difference when you use it then...

The thing is, there's a good chance it doesn't work at all. This has been the case with other menu settings on my camera. For instance, I kept sharpness, quality and ISO settings constant and went through every exposure setting, shooting the same room under the same lighting conditions, to see how it varied. Despite settings ranging from +2.0 to -2.0, there were three groupings of photos with those in each group identical to one another, i.e., there were essentially only three exposure settings. It's the same on both SJ4000 Wi-Fi's that I own.

Just because I can't see the difference with image stabilization on or off doesn't mean others with a more discerning eye can't see it. Furthermore, I haven't learned to use editing software yet, so when it comes time to crop and enlarge images and videos then blurriness would presumably be more pronounced. In any case, when you buy a product that claims it has certain features, shouldn't those features work?

Unfortunately this latest exchange with SJCam is another example of their inability to respond to clear, simple questions or worse still they provide incorrect or contradictory responses. Because the camera lacks a useful operating manual one can only learn by trial-and-error, looking at various websites and videos that explain its operation, and hopefully ask the manufacturer. Sadly that last method has been an exercise in frustration. It normally takes three or four iterations of the same question to get an answer. This thread is an example. In another thread on Dash Cam Talk I asked about the number shown on the display in camera mode. I thought it was remaining memory but in fact it's the number of photos that can be stored on the memory card given the camera settings and remaining memory. When I asked them, SJCam never explained this even though I actually sent them photos of the display at their request.

It's just this simple: SJCam, answer the question.

Last edited:
when you get incorrect explanations or contradictory answers the real reason is they just don't know but they want to look responsive to your questions

not sure if you've noticed or not but if you ask GitUp a technical question they answer it correctly or if they don't know they check first before answering

very big difference, the first example is marketing, the second example is support

when you get incorrect explanations or contradictory answers the real reason is they just don't know but they want to look responsive to your questions

not sure if you've noticed or not but if you ask GitUp a technical question they answer it correctly or if they don't know they check first before answering

very big difference, the first example is marketing, the second example is support

Agreed. An incorrect reply is non-responsive. Everybody - engineering, manufacturing, marketing, support - ought to have exactly the same, correct information. Whoever is responding to the inquiry must provide a correct response. It is not the responsibility of the customer to ensure that the correct personnel within the company receives the request and responds appropriately. That is the responsibility of the company. When I send an e-mail to support@sjcamhd.com, presumably I'm sending it to support. Presumably support, being as they are support, has the technically correct answer. Often this has not been the case with SJCam.

The impression I get is that there is a records management problem, a communication problem or both. It's as if engineering has not forwarded the latest revision of the hardware build or software capabilities to the marketing and support personnel. More than once in my communication with SJCam, when I've asked why my cameras don't have a feature listed on their website, I've been told the information on the website is wrong and would be corrected. This happened with shutter delay and burst capability, both claimed on the website but both absent on my cameras.

I apologize if my frustration comes through as anger but I am EXTREMELY frustrated with SJCam.

We understand your frustration, but please bare with us.

Gyro and Anti-shake are two different things.

Anti-shake (Digital Image Stabilization) is really for when taking pictures. For Video we are waiting for confirmation but the affect it has on Video would be minimal compared to what it has on pictures - again, waiting for confirmation.

HDR aka WDR is a function intended for use while shooting video. Again, depending on the picture setting, it would have a minimal benefits on pictures.

Gyro is as I mentioned, please only turn Gyro on when shooting film. It actually hurts the picture quality; this is the main reason Gyro models have Gyro turned to Off by default.

was mainly in the other forums so will try to visit the SJ4000 section more often. Regarding the email from 3 months ago, I am not sure which colleague it was but hopefully they will check with someone who knows the details first next time.

Since you are writing a manual (we think it was well written by the way), maybe let me be your contact person as we have several people now handling the support ticketing system.

My email is tony@sjcamhd.com or you can just post your responses on the forums here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My response was to Gyro . Gyro and Anti-shake are two different things.
I NEVER ASKED ABOUT GYRO!!!

Let me ask the same question AGAIN:

For the SJ4000 Wi-Fi only, with firmware version G20150408V02, when "Anti-Shaking" is turned on, does the image stabilizer work when recording videos only, when shooting photos only, or both?

I NEVER ASKED ABOUT GYRO!!!
Anti-shake (Digital Image Stabilization) is really for when taking pictures. For Video we are waiting for confirmation but the affect it has on Video would be minimal compared to what it has on pictures - again, waiting for confirmation.

HDR aka WDR is a function intended for use while shooting video. Again, depending on the picture setting, it would have a minimal benefits on pictures.

Let me ask the same question AGAIN:

Please read my last response. Anti-shake is mainly for when taking pictures; not for when taking videos - although we are still confirming and if it worked with video the benefits would be minimal -

I know you never asked about Gyro but "Gyro" stabilization is what you would need to stabilization while shooting video.

Hope this clarifies things.

Please read my last response. Anti-shake is mainly for when taking pictures; not for when taking videos - although we are still confirming and if it worked with video the benefits would be minimal -

I know you never asked about Gyro but "Gyro" stabilization is what you would need to stabilization while shooting video.

Hope this clarifies things.
What is the status of your confirmation?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TeriTerryTarry SJ4000 6
Back