Imagine if Viofio etc Videos Were This Clear

I think thats just a watermark from the photo.

I didn't know that Google installed speed cameras :unsure:

View attachment 62392

Must have a tie up with your government, and provide the cameras in return for you hosting all those data centres and subsidising all the electricity they use!
Or possibly this is a watermark that Google puts in random specific locations on their StreetView images.

Big brother here are putting up more and more cameras, not least plate capture cameras.
The argument are surveillance make you safe and free.
Of course those words are out of the mouth of a social democrat.

Funny thing one of those cameras, always figure as a speed camera on the waze like APP i use on long drives,,,,,, Danes really are not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Surveillance cameras make the person who controls them safer and free-er. That is not the case when the government puts them up. When the government puts them up, it becomes much easier for that government to switch to totalitarian.
You want surveillance cameras to be locally controlled by individuals where the government must get search warrants to be able to access their recordings. But this is way off topic.

I think thats just a watermark from the photo.
It was a copyright 2022 message, for some reason only applied over the sign.

Well if they had outsourced to google too, it would not surprise me, Danish politicians are notoriously famous for taking the wrong decisions.
I mean we hated communism like the next guy, but we now have a more communal - social society / successful society than any communist nation ever had.

Today the great belt bridge have been blocked for hours, the saying is " rescue operation " if so it would have been the first jumper from that bridge.
Generated 9 km long ques of cars.

Though the parliament election a week ago,,,,, a government have not yet been formed, but it is the horrible former PM thats in charge of forming a new government, and the social democrats also got the most votes of any party here.

It was a copyright 2022 message, for some reason only applied over the sign.
No, they are scattered throughout the image. The one on the sign just happens to be more obvious. Here's one on the guard rail.

G-Watermark.jpg

Well Denmark are pretty de valuated by now, maybe google have snagged up the country in a clandestine secret property deal, and we 6 million Danes are now test rabbits.

I better get my tin foil hat out after my bath.

Well Denmark are pretty de valuated by now, maybe google have snagged up the country in a clandestine secret property deal, and we 6 million Danes are now test rabbits.

I better get my tin foil hat out after my bath.
Looks like they might be putting a claim on FedEx trucks in New York as well.

G-Watermark2.jpg

They are apparently copyrighting the photograph as a work, not the subject of the work. And due to the sheer volume of such images from Google these images are likely under unregistered copyright protection rather than registered copyright which offers enhanced legal protections.

So, for example a photojournalist capturing a newsworthy image of a FedEx truck might claim copyright to the image, but he (or the publication he works for) does not claim copyright to the FedEx truck or logo, which would also be under trademark protection along with copyright protection.

They are apparently copyrighting the photograph as a work, not the subject of the work. And due to the sheer volume of such images from Google these images are likely under unregistered copyright protection rather than registered copyright which offers enhanced legal protections.

So, for example a photojournalist capturing a newsworthy image of a FedEx truck might claim copyright to the image, but he (or the publication he works for) does not claim copyright to the FedEx truck or logo, which would also be under trademark protection along with copyright protection.
What's kind of interesting is the watermarks only show at certain zoom levels. Zoom in or out far enough and they don't show. In this one they are very obvious in the sky but as you zoom in/out and scroll around some (but not all) of them will disappear. Definitely something that's applied dynamically in real time.

What's kind of interesting is the watermarks only show at certain zoom levels. Zoom in or out far enough and they don't show. In this one they are very obvious in the sky but as you zoom in/out and scroll around some (but not all) of them will disappear. Definitely something that's applied dynamically in real time.

That's very interesting. It seems as if the intention is to ensure that no matter what screen size or zoom level you view the image there is no circumstance where the copyright notice does not appear. You do see it even if it does disappear.

Last edited:
@viofo please make global shutter camera ty

I don't think the Pregius sensors are yet available in a size and affordability to make them suitable for consumer dash cams but given some time I believe we are very likely to see it happen. If any camera developer is likely to introduce a global shutter dash camera to the market @viofo will probably the one to do it.

Edit: Pregius sensors are in their fourth generation and more sizes have been introduced but so far they seem to be optimized for C-mount lenses rather than the S-mount lenses (M-12) we have in our dash cams.

Last edited:
Here's a little update to this old thread where we discussed global shutters. You can now add a global shutter to a Raspberry Pi for $50 bucks, so prices for this sensor technology are indeed falling as I predicted months ago in this thread.

It uses the Sony Pregius 1456 x 1088 IMX296 sensor which is optimized for machine vision but I imagine when used with a Raspberry Pi people will find their own unique and creative uses for it.

I would like to see global shutter in dashcams, it might also be a lift we would want.

As more and more global shutter video cameras are appearing on the market I believe global shutters will eventually appear in dash cams and other consumer products. In fact, there are so many advanced innovations occurring in camera sensor technology these days that we may see other interesting developments in dash cams as well. Just the other day we were discussing the interesting XQE-1350 digital night vision sensor and there are other interesting sensors appearing on the market.

Sony has introduced SWIR (near infra-red & visible) and UV sensitive sensors for industrial applications and some aspects of this technology too may eventually find its way into consumer products like dash cams for enhanced night visions and plate recognition. One way or another we can expect innovations in sensors to keep improving and eventually these developments will find their way into consumer cameras.

One interesting new sensor that caught my eye is Sony's Polarsens imaging technology. It is a camera sensor with a multi-directional polarizer built directly into the sensor chip.

polarsens_a.jpg

polarsens.jpg

The concept of having a camera that can see through vehicle windshields with sensor technology alone without an external CPL kind of blows my mind because I've been talking about and demonstrating the exact same thing
for about 5 years now when I began experimenting with telephoto lenses on a dash cam with a high quality CPL and it became apparent that the ability to clearly see through other vehicles windshields to observe the occupants was extremely useful. You could document if a distracted driver was using a cell phone or acting out in road raging or whatever. And with a sensor that has polarization built right into it, it would also become possible to eliminate windshield reflections off the dashboard without a CPL along with the concomitant increase in motion blur caused by having a dark CPL filter over the lens.

polarizer1.jpg

polarizer3.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see global shutter in dashcams, it might also be a lift we would want.
A global shutter only eliminates the jello effect of a rolling shutter. While I would not mind this, I think it is more important to improve the light sensitivity of the sensor to reduce motion blur. I suspect that the things they must do to implement the global shutter (reduce the percentage of the surface area dedicated to light sensors to allow for the storage cells) would reduce the light sensitivity of the sensor.

Back