Impact Sensitivity, Sport Suspensions and Me

ctishman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy, all.

Does anybody know if there's a way to set an "even lower" sensitivity for the dashcam's impact sensors? I've got a car with a sporty suspension and tires, and it sets off the sensor for the dumbest possible reasons.
  • Change in pavement texture
  • No apparent change in pavement texture
  • Getting into the car
  • Getting out of the car
  • Guy two cars down at the supermarket slams his car door
  • Opening or closing the trunk, even gently
  • A sparrow flies by at a distance of 14 feet and cuts an ill-timed fart in the general direction of my rear window.
I've got it set to the lowest level of sensitivity already, and I do want to use the impact sensitivity figure, but there doesn't seem to be a sensitivity option that will simultaneously do its job but also not trigger a recording when I rearrange the pillows on my bed in my apartment at 2 AM. Is there some XML file I can tweak or something?

I've also got it on the lowest setting, but it doesn't do any of the above .
then again, i don't really see the problem of having a few "false" event detections"
better too many then not enough ;-)

Are you sure you are running the latest firmware? I had much the same experience before then. Now I still get the occasional nuisance trip, but nowhere near as bad as it was with the firmware it shipped with.

Welcome to the forum ctishman.

I have only used G-sensor while driving about a decade ago, fortunately on the Lukas system i had back then i was able to set custom trigger values for all 3 axis, and so i was able to get to a place where i only got 1 trigger on a 40 minute drive.
Where as on low just my general driving style,,,, which is not A LOT more relaxed these days, triggered false events about every few minutes, and that was just my driving style on top of that then come the state of the Danish streets which in general are not too bad, but far from as good as it should be with the taxes we pay to use those streets.
Actually it is so expensive to buy / own / fule a car in Denmark, that curbs and possible lane markings here should be gold plated.

Okay i have used G-sensor while driving since then, but just in cameras where it have not been possible to turn it off, and in those cases on low it have also worked fairly well, with a number of false alerts i have been able to deal with.
The cheap Bluesky sea B1W i tested some years ago, it rarely triggered while driving, but parked i was able to trigger it by kicking the rear wheel with the sole of my foot, that shocked me as after all you can not kick a steel rim that hard and not hurt yourself.

These days on most cameras there are two G-sensor settings, one for while driving, and the one for when parked.
As i now use parking guard on most test cameras i do use the high setting for while parked and OFF ( if possible ) when driving.
As i do not use a hand over delay on parking guard ( a 90 second delay are a option on my camera ), then most parking guard sessions start with a event ( me slamming the door ) and they also end with a event ( me opening the door and getting into the car )
But i have not had any G-sensor events while parked,,,,, and i needed that a a month ago as i was rammed while parked, but this sadly happened after the 1 hour timer i used back then timed out.
Fortunately there was a witness that took down the plate of the offender and insurance things have clicked so my car go into the shop on Monday for new plastics in the rear, and maybe a little metal work on the bracing behind the plastics ( tow hitch doing most of the damage on my car )

PS: These days i prefer to use the always recording ( low bitrate ) parking guard mode, this generate files with only 1/3 the size of the conventional recordings, and i then have G-sensor on ( high ) to lock act as a beacon for any actual events.
The low bitrate recordings are just treated as regular recordings, so dont get any extra form of protection,,,,, but it work fine with the 256GB cards i use, and the fact i dont really drive that much, about 15 - 20 minutes a day on average.

I just yesterday turned off the impact while driving setting

Back