Imuto 182Wh/50000mAh Portable PowerBank

Hulk

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I just bought a BlackSys CH-100B 2 Channel dashcam and plan on using it 100% in parking mode. I park my car out on the street in front of my house and someone keeps denting the front left fender of my car, probably while backing out of their driveway.

So anyways, I know that Celllink Neo and B are the best batteries to buy but:

1) They are super expensive
2) Sold out mostly everywhere.

So I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XBPQKTR
Now I know that just based on weight alone it probably doesn't have 50,000mAh, probably has around 28,000mAh or so. From reading a lot of posts on here it seems that a lot of people are running "cheap Chinese" batteries and don't seem to have any issues with them. The operating temperatures on the above battery are 0C to 40C. 40C is about 105 F.

So what I'm getting is I don't want the battery exploding in my car in the summer when the temperature in my car reaches over 105F. I have a small USB fan that I plugged into the battery pack and I'm monitoring how long it will run for before killing the battery (it's the only thing plugged in right now).

Any other tips on how to prevent the battery from getting to hot in the summer? I'm thinking of buying some window shade vents so I can crack the windows down a bit. Should I use an ice pack and put the battery on top of it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Daum thats one SOB power bank :cool:

Keep it low down in the cool, not high up in the heat.

0C to 40C is the charging temperature, powering a dashcam it will be OK from -40C to 60C, which as long as it is kept near the floor should not be a problem in 98% of the world.

You could keep it in a lipo charging bag so that in the unlikely event that it does fail badly, your car will only suffer smoke damage and not get burned to the chassis.

How long does it take to charge?

I just got the battery yesterday but according to the reviews it takes 4-6 hrs to recharge.

I just got the battery yesterday but according to the reviews it takes 4-6 hrs to recharge.
That's not too bad if the capacity is real, which I think it may be.

Are you planning on charging it from the car 12 volt supply when the ignition is on? Maybe feasible if you do a reasonable amount of driving. I would worry about the winter though, especially if it doesn't have a low temperature cut-off for charging, charging lithium below freezing is bad news.

I plan on using the camera 100% in parking mode only when parked in front of my house. I plan on charging the battery at home or work.

0C to 40C is the charging temperature, powering a dashcam it will be OK from -40C to 60C, which as long as it is kept near the floor should not be a problem in 98% of the world.

On a hot day in Virginia I can easily measure 65C from the pavement in the sun and up to 85C in the car.
Make people believe its it safe to charge these LIPO power bank in a car is a dangerous advise.

You could keep it in a lipo charging bag so that in the unlikely event that it does fail badly, your car will only suffer smoke damage and not get burned to the chassis.
These bag is design to keep the heat inside when the battery is burning but also when the battery is use and a car with smoke damage will have that smell forever.

On a hot day in Virginia I can easily measure 65C from the pavement in the sun and up to 85C in the car.
Make people believe its it safe to charge these LIPO power bank in a car is a dangerous advise.

These bag is design to keep the heat inside when the battery is burning but also when the battery is use and a car with smoke damage will have that smell forever.
I have an "Anypower T Plus Alpha" battery backup that I've been using for over a year now and has had no issues with charging or operating. This is in San Antonio, TX where it gets hotter than Virginia. I have it mounted behind the driver side kick plate so it's out of direct sunlight.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have an "Anypower T Plus Alpha" battery backup that I've been using for over a year now and has had no issues with charging or operating. This is in San Antonio, TX where it gets hotter than Virginia. I have it mounted behind the driver side kick plate so it's out of direct sunlight.

I really like the most of these diy project here on this site, but when it come to where there is a risk of putting people or car in dangerous and tell is not a problem I have my limit. If the battery just died or destroyed the camera, I will not fell so bad about it.

I happy to hear it working great for you, but I felt it was like hearing a person, telling he can use his smartphone and drive without any accident and claim therefor it's safe.

Lipo battery are great. I use them a lot, but there have been some example of these self ignite. This example is provoked.

Last edited:
Burning LIPO do smell,,,,, not good, but it dont linger at least not with some due diligence ( throwing the burning battery out the 2 floor window )
Worse is the smoker just moved in here down on the #1 floor.

I really like the most of these diy project here on this site, but when it come to where there is a risk of putting people or car in dangerous and tell is not a problem I have my limit. If the battery just died or destroyed the camera, I will not fell so bad about it.

I happy to hear it working great for you, but I felt it was like hearing a person, telling he can use his smartphone and drive without any accident and claim therefor it's safe.

Lipo battery are great. I use them a lot, but there have been some example of these self ignite. This example is provoked.
Normally when they self ignite it is because something is wrong, like deliberately overcharging them, or causing physical damage so that they short out.

Just using them to run a dashcam at 60C is not a problem, even using them at 80C for running a low current device like a dashcam will probably just reduce their lifespan, not cause a dangerous situation.

When they do fail, unless it is due to physical damage, normally they will just loose capacity. If they suffer an internal short circuit they can produce a lot of smoke but it is still very rare for a modern lithium battery to produce flames. If it does produce flames, it will almost certainly be due to physical damage or when charging, so if it is being charged out of the car then it is not a problem, at least for the car. A lipo charging bag is designed to contain the flames so that it doesn't ignite surrounding flammable material and since car furnishings are flammable and not self extinguishing like house furniture, a lipo charging bag is a very good safety idea. It will not trap much heat since lithium batteries do not generate much heat.

They can however be very dangerous if you abuse them and don't follow the rules, for example this guy charged a lifepo battery (the ones that people keep saying are far safer than lipos!) at bellow freezing temperature without a low temperature cut-out, and produced so much heat that his glass windows melted:
" The heat was so intense, even the gearbox casing near to the batteries melted into a puddle under the car. The glass in the doors actually melted and ran down the inside of the doors!"
img-6.jpg

http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/bvsorguk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1825

So I have the battery and I have a BlackSys CH-100B dashcam but I'm having a very hard time hooking it up.

These are the outputs on the battery:

Output: DC outputs + USB outputs (Max 100W)
DC(12V/5A*2, 19V/4A) Max.80W
DC 9-12.6V/15A
4*USB Max.56W
USB1 5V/2.4A, USB2 5V/2.4A, USB3 5V/2.4A
USB4(5V/3A, 9V/2A)

The dashcam has a cigarette lighter type cable coming from it so I bought this cable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0743CQL6G
However, the above cable is too thick and doesn't fit into the 12V/5A input on the battery, it only fits into the charging port on the battery which is not what I want.

So I have three questions:

1) Can someone please post a link to the correct cable? Cigarette lighter to 12V/5A input.

2) Can I buy a cigarette lighter to USB cable instead? So the battery would give the cam 5V/2.4A?

3) Does it make a difference if the camera is hooked up to the 12V/5A or 5V/2.4A output?

EDIT: I would also like to point out that I will be charging this battery at home only! Not in the car. I can just plug it into the cigarette lighter while driving to use it.

Last edited:
Back