In car pictures of the Mobius?

reptar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking of getting a Mobius as an inconspicuous dash cam but would like to see how others have it setup in car.
Would anyone be willing to post pictures of their in car setups showing how everything looks with the mount and cabling?
Where is everyone mounting it, near the rear view mirror, on the dash board, or elsewhere?
Is the cable sticking directly out of the back annoying and is anyone using a right angle adapter or 3rd party cables for better cable management?

Also any suggestions on similar size, price, and image quality cams to compare with this cam? I'm also considering the DVR-207 but not going to try any other 808 models.

Adi said:
Hi,
i just opened a thread in an Israeli forum with pictures, you can check the pictures here on the first post:
http://www.carsforum.co.il/vb/showthread.php?t=492042
you can also see a video on Youtube after the installation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_em-wKOC0I
You could've mounted it a bit higher. It looks like you wanted it dead center, but even if it's 5-10 cm offset, doesn't make significant difference. The way you mounted it now, it sticks under the rear view mirror too much, which would bother me personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
ciuvak said:
You could've mounted it a bit higher. It looks like you wanted it dead center, but even if it's 5-10 cm offset, doesn't make significant difference. The way you mounted it now, it sticks under the rear view mirror too much, which would bother me personally.

likewise, I would have had the mount up in the black dotted area and the camera just in the clear section, would barely be noticeable, swivel mount anyway so being dead center or not doesn't matter, the very minor mount offset is easily adjusted for

Just a thought. When I get mine, I'm seriously considering rethinking where I mount it. I have a parcel shelf above my screen - so I would need to consider the best way to mount the cam so it is pointing to the right places
I'm also considering mounting it as far over to the offside as I can get away with - the idea being that it is closer to the oncoming traffic as it would be possible to get - in order to get the best possible view of oncoming traffic.
My current, larger, cams are all central but pointing over to the driver's side - the viewing angle is such that when mounted centrally, the cam shows quite a lot off to the side - where nothing really ever seems to happen, hence me thinking about mounting in the top corner of the screen.

sludgeguts said:
hence me thinking about mounting in the top corner of the screen.

depends on the vehicle type but in a lot of cars there's a reasonable amount of curve to this area of the glass which can distort the image

I didn't want to attach it to the dotted black visor, when ill remove the mount it might take with it some dotted material. if it was the suction cup mount, maybe, but for the sticky tape, didn't want to take any chances.

jokiin said:
sludgeguts said:
hence me thinking about mounting in the top corner of the screen.

depends on the vehicle type but in a lot of cars there's a reasonable amount of curve to this area of the glass which can distort the image

Fair point, however most vehicles have quite a lot of curvature to their screens anyway - but I'll bear this in mind.
I've got quite a deep screen on my car anyway, so even if the far corner fails, I can move it over a few inches to see if the image improves, until I find the 'optimum spot'.
My thinking is, with a screen about 165cm wide and with an approx 10cm curve, a corner mounted cam would pick up more/better image of oncoming traffic as it is nearer to them and pointing more directly ahead, than a centre mounted cam which is pointed to get more of that side.
EYE_astigmatism.gif

As an example. If the ideal image of a cam is from 40 to 140 at the end of each black line, and oncoming traffic passes so the plate is just outside that line, the plate will be hard to read, even when zoomed in.
By rotating the cam to point more to the offside, the ideal angle is now where the 60 - 160 is. Even though the plate might now be 'in the zone', it's now offset at an angle. (remember, my offside is on the right - UK)
By moving the cam 80cm to the side, it can be pointing ahead so that the car's plate might enter the camera's ideal zone at the 110 mark, perhaps giving you half a second before it leaves the 140 mark, but still well within the focal range, even at the slightly blurrier extremes of the lens (150? 160?)
Does that make sense?

Adi said:
I didn't want to attach it to the dotted black visor, when ill remove the mount it might take with it some dotted material. if it was the suction cup mount, maybe, but for the sticky tape, didn't want to take any chances.

My DR32 is mounted in this area on my works vehicle (bus). I opted for the suction mpount with the cam as I was originally swapping buses all the time.
I had a few complaints about this, since finding dents on a bus when I checked it over first thing plus also fed up of having to clean out someone else's mess before I took the bus out (I'm not anal about these things but I do believe that paying passengers have a right to a degree of cleanliness).
I pointed out that if I were the only driver, only I could be blamed for dents or filth/rubbish.
For the last 2 months, I've had 'my own' bus, only I drive it - result.
Anyway, the upshot is, I can leave my cam mounted all the time. But only having the suction mount, I was a bit wary if it would hold - but it's been on the dots now for 2 months & not moved once.

If you were really worried, you might consider a fine smear of rubber solution glue on the suction cup/screen. It's not the best glue in the world but strong enough to hold a small cam, not strong enough to resist you pulling it off, and being rubber solution, it'll rub off easily anyway.

This is my Mobius, neatly tucked behind the rear view mirror.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376607862630.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376607862630.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 253
View from the front.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376608314953.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376608314953.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 220
Just done a first fix into a Peugeot 3008 using an old Brobit swivel mount, needs some adapting to get lens closer to screen, very large/deep screen and large sensor unit in centre, cant mount either side or above as sensor unit blocks lens

Attachments

• WP_20160302_004.jpg
    WP_20160302_004.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 18
  • WP_20160302_003.jpg
    WP_20160302_003.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 14
  • WP_20160302_006.jpg
    WP_20160302_006.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 14
Back