In dash cam mode, not recording first few minutes after turning on?

iDash

Reaction score
Country
United States
This sucks as I was in an accident today and when I went to look at my videos I noticed I was missing the first few minutes of my ride. I guess it completely did not record the first file, as it seems to chop up the files in 3 minute blocks.

I then looked back at the last time I rode and it also seemed it did not record the first few minutes of my ride.

This thing can not be trusted to reliably record files. You guys better constantly check your recordings to see if it is recording properly if using this camera.

Has anyone had this issue?

Does it have files with 5-10 seconds recorded right before missing records?

I'll double check, but nope. The first file is for the full 3 minutes. I believe I have it set for 3 minute video clips. It seems to lose the first file because two rides in a row had them missing and they had me at the same point away from my house as it takes me about 3 minutes to get there.

The video does turn on and start recording at my house, it just seems to lose the first file. After that everything is OK and all the files are there.

This is really unfortunate to get into an accident and not have the video footage. Not a big deal because I was on an electric bike and just left and did not get hurt, bike a little damaged, but I wanted to see exactly what happened.

Novatek-based cameras seems to have strange bug, which is observed when last recorded file is deleted manually (e.g. on pc) or card has been used before recording with another camera. In such case, record is started as usually but stop at ~10 seconds and camera does not respond to any buttons. Then it restarts record automatically in minute or two and works fine, but in some cases, such behavior could be repeated for several times at the row. Also, in some cases, it could be caused by time reset on camera, so it cannot find last file correctly or something like this. I guess, it might be related to your issue somehow.

Novatek-based cameras seems to have strange bug, which is observed when last recorded file is deleted manually (e.g. on pc) or card has been used before recording with another camera.
deleting files ad-hoc is never good practice, likewise if the card has been in another device it should be formatted before use in the camera

I may have solved my problem, only after missing more video clips. When I was riding around tonight I didn't record anything for my hour ride and missed some good stuff.

I decided to either fix this thing or replace it.

I downloaded the latest firmware 2.3 version, I had 2.2 version, and reset everything. Now it seems to record properly and records right away or no missing the first 3 minutes.

Maybe all I had to do was reset my camera, but I figured let me update the firmware because my car stereo blue tooth stopped working and I updated the firmware even though it had nothing to do with fixing issues, and that actually fixed my blue tooth. It seems that firmware may get corrupted somehow and its worth updating it if you have issues with the camera.

I had similar problem, using car dvr option in menu wont start recording, it is like it crasches when camera starts up.

I use setting external power = start recording instead.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Git3 1
I Git3 8
Back