In-depth first impressions with new Mini 0806 - some initial worries

cdmonline

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I recently took possession of my new Mini 0806. Although I'm generally very happy with it, there are a few issues I'm trying to work through. I did buy a couple of [cheap] 128Gb microUSB memory cards from China on eBay ($5 each) and I've had both these installed. I suspect 1 of these is a bit dodgy, as after the first few Gb of data, the recordings are all corrupt - the file size and name all appear normal but they are unreadable. I'm now trying the second card to verify if it's an issue with the card or with the mini. Will report back my findings. My gut tells me it's the memory card and I just have a dud, but we'll see.

I did check the mini0806 web-site for the latest firmware but it's not clear whether the firmware I have is newer or older than what's presented there. The date formats (I assume they are dates) between what the device reports is it's firmware and what the web-site show are different, so I'm unsure of whether the comparison is correct and don't want to bugger anything up. I don't see anyway to reverse the installation of a new piece of firmware. Does the reset to factory settings include restoring to the version of the firmware that the device came with?

I have found that the battery life of probably no more than a minute or 2 at the most whilst unplugged is a bit disconcerting.

Another oddity is that even though I have functional memory cards in both slots (both have been tested - although one might be a bit dodgy) and I have the memory card slot choice set to AUTO, it still uses slot B every time, when I would have expected it to use slot A, since that's alphabetically first. I know slot A works, since I've tested it with nothing in slot B and it does write the files correctly.

For whatever reason, my unit does NOT store/remeber the date correctly. I've corrected the date several times but it keeps losing the correct date. Consequently, it's difficult to locate the appropriate recording on the memory card. It would be really nice if the date stamp could be incorporated into the file name - or at least it would be nice if you could have the option of choosing this, as opposed to a sequential file naming scheme.

I have noticed that there is a slight distortion to my radio signal when the device is plugged into a power source in the car and operating. I listed to AM radio, so not sure if this also affects FM. It's not a big distortion, but it's there some of the time.

The small self-adhesive clips that came with the unit are not adhesive enough, so I've had to order some more to keep the power cable neat and tidy.

I am intrigued by the reports that the video image quality can be improved with installing Nigel's firmware. Again, I don't know if I'd be going backwards in doing this or not, so some advice/guidance here would be appreciated. It doesn't look like there has been any update to the firmware since May, which surprises me since the web-site does state that it's updated every Friday - it's now the end of September.

Overall, I'm very happy with the video quality, although I have seen conflicting advice on what's the best resolution/bit rate to set the unit to. Day vision can sometimes be a bit of an issue with direct sunlight. Night vision seems quite good. I haven't tried using the filter yet. Is that just for daytime use? I don't know if I'll have the discipline (the idea is to set and forget the dashcam is there) to keep adding/removing the filter manually.

GPS seems to work very well and does lock in quite quickly. I'm just not sure what to do with the GPS information once it has been written. I can offload the movie files and see them but I've no idea how to take advantage of the GPS data. I would be nice if I could see the movie alongside the track of the car (using this GPS data) on a map in unison with the footage. Anyone know how to achieve this?

It would be nice if the formatting of the information on the screen could be improved. As it it, I have the longitude and speed on 1 line with the latitude alone on the next line, so the longitude and latitude data don't line up on the screen. It's an CDO thing (that's like OCD but with the letters arranged alphabetically like they should be!). Also, the screen is clearly very small and this makes actually reading the icons and text on the screen very difficult with my aging eyes. Sometimes, I've seen text flash on the screen and simply couldn't read it. There's plenty of screen real-estate to make the text and icons bigger so an option to allow this would be nice.

I've had to switch off the lane departure feature, as it was constantly beeping at me with 'Collision Warning' flashing up on the screen every 5-20 seconds or so. I have tried to calibrate to get the horizon lines in the right place but just can't get rid of these continual warnings. I'll have to live without that feature for now.

I've no idea whether the collision impact works. Obviously, I don't want to crash the car or have someone drive into it to test it out.

Connecting/disconnecting the unit to/from the cradle could be better. It's really quite stiff and I think should be re-designed to be a spring-loaded clip mechanism instead. Unfortunately, I mounted mine rather close to a tollway electronic reader I have stuck to the windshield, so every time I remove the unit from the cradle, the sudden release after applying the right amount of pressure means I whack my hand against the other reader.

On balance, I'm very happy with the unit. It does the job and has pretty decent video/audio quality. Having said that, it hasn't been entirely plain sailing, and I am working through some issues. I did send in an e-mail to the folks at the mini0806 web-site but I've yet to hear back from them. It's been about 4-5 days so far.

- Chris

Possibly, but we'll see if I have the same problem with the other card. Tonight, I'll perform a test to see how much data I can get onto the second card.

I did try running that already but it was going to take many hours for the test to complete.

Possibly, but we'll see if I have the same problem with the other card. Tonight, I'll perform a test to see how much data I can get onto the second card.
Hi Chris,
Firstly Welcome to forum..this is the best place to get support, help and answers to your questions.

Secondly as Jokiin says your memory cards are fake and are all but useless. Run the test or save yourself some time and throw them away. Once you get that sorted if you still want more info just post your questions and the people on here will be only too happy to give you very thorough answers.

Confirmed! The cards are indeed fake, so we can discount all the issues relating to memory cards above. However, all the other issues/questions are still relevant:

• Which firmware update, if any, should I apply and how can I tell which is which in light of the different naming conventions?
  • Will updating the firmware improve video quality?
  • Does restoring to factory settings also restore to the original firmware?
  • What should the expected battery life be?
  • What can I do about the time not being remembered correctly?
  • Can the filenames be changes to incorporate a date stamp?
  • Can the on-screen information be rearranged or increased in size to make it easier to read on the small screen?
  • What can I do about the constant collision warning alerts when the lane departure detection feature is switched on?

probably has the latest firmware on it, there's a user hacked one with higher bitrate that gives better video

restoring settings just sets defaults back

check your timezone setting if the clock is changing, sounds like you have that wrong

turn lane departure off, it's a gimmick

file names, OSD etc you can't change

I think you might be onto something with the timezone, which I hadn't set correctly. It wasn't immediately obvious from the small text on the screen but the first number in the time/date format appears to be the UTC offset, which I've now set so hopefully that will resolve that issue.

I have found that the battery life of probably no more than a minute or 2 at the most whilst unplugged is a bit disconcerting.

Another oddity is that even though I have functional memory cards in both slots (both have been tested - although one might be a bit dodgy) and I have the memory card slot choice set to AUTO, it still uses slot B every time, when I would have expected it to use slot A, since that's alphabetically first. I know slot A works, since I've tested it with nothing in slot B and it does write the files correctly.
That is a bit short. I get 12 minutes with the screen turning off as soon as possible. I assume you're not playing with the buttons?
Make sure it is fully charged by plugging in to a wall charger for a long time. Mine never switches off the blue light so I never know when it's fully charged.

The Auto setting works like that on all of these. So it's only useful if the card in slot B fails completely at which point it will use card A instead. Hopefully they will fix this bug sometime.

[QUOTE="cdmonline, post: 185470, member: 19416"

Connecting/disconnecting the unit to/from the cradle could be better. It's really quite stiff and I think should be re-designed to be a spring-loaded clip mechanism instead. Unfortunately, I mounted mine rather close to a tollway electronic reader I have stuck to the windshield, so every time I remove the unit from the cradle, the sudden release after applying the right amount of pressure means I whack my hand against the other reader.

I lubricated the plastic parts that slide against one another on the mount and the camera
Of course being extremely careful not to get any on the contacts.
When the lube had dried I worked the camera in and out of the mount a number of times.
A repeat of the process, and now the camera slides in and out easily but still attaches very securely to the mount.
No twisting, tugging, rocking, or force of any kind ( modest or immodest) required
I did this before VHB taping the mount to the windshield

The lubricant used is Dupont Teflon Multi-use Dry, Wax Lubricant

On balance, I'm very happy with the unit. It does the job and has pretty decent video/audio quality. Having said that, it hasn't been entirely plain sailing, and I am working through some issues. I did send in an e-mail to the folks at the mini0806 web-site but I've yet to hear back from them. It's been about 4-5 days so far.

Don't hold your breath!

Last edited:
I think the trick in removing it from the mount is working out the right rocking/twisting motion while maintaining modest sideways force.
Note that I have a right-hand drive van and my Mini0806 is mounted centrally, the standard way up (power button to the left.)

Grab the camera with the left hand, thumb on the right side, first two fingers on the left side, either side of the power button.
Exert modest force to the right while gently rocking hand clockwise and anticlockwise in turn. Mainly your thumb will be moving up and down, as it's further from the mount.
With each twist the camera will slide out a little more and eventually come out smoothly.
This way I have no problem removing the camera while keeping the CPL filter in place.

It would be nice if the CPL filter could be secured better, as I'm finding it difficult to remove/replace the unit without the filter coming off each time (sometimes triggering a mad dash to figure out where in the car it fell). The problem here is that I then have to twist the filter each time I replace it to make sure the polorisation is correct. I have a right-hand-drive car and the power button is on the right and I have to slide the unit out of the cradle to the left. This means I very often end up pressing the power button when exerting the required force to slide the unit out from the cradle. The slight ricking does help, so I do agree with you there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Mini 0806 69
Back