In-depth video + article review of Xiaomi YI (30+ mintues)

Pavle

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Hello guys,

After using Xiaomi YI for 30+ days, I decided to create a video review.

If you prefer reading, you can read my article that is slightly different then video review itself.

http://sjcamguides.com/xiaomi-yi-action-camera-review/

I am aware that its quite lengthy video, but I wanted to show all features of the camera and preform a video, photo and app tests.

Of course, you do not have to watch an entire video. If you watch it on YouTube, you will see that at the bottom of the video (in video description) there is a time mark which includes content table, so you can easily skip to parts that you wish to watch.

It took me quite a while to compile it, and I included interesting footage (most of video reviews on YouTube have crappy footage of moll or supermarkets which sucks, it’s a bloody action camera, take it into a nature and show us some videos :p )

I would appreciate if you guys have any constructive comments or suggestions that will enable me to create better video reviews in future, please let me know.

Note : I am not a native English speaker, so there might be few grammar mistakes here and there, sorry about it in advance.

I really hope this video and article will help people who still have not decided if this tiny cam is right for them or not.

Additionally I wanted to create quality content, and I hope I managed to do it.

For any questions, or suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Have a great week guys!

Last edited:
Great review.
I like @ 27 min 44 sec [emoji4] [emoji106]

Very good and detail review. I just gave you a Like on your video. Always a good idea to show close-up video of cute little animals. Unfortunately we can't really do that with car dashcams, because by the time you are showing them it means you are about to run over them with your car :-O

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys @niko @efoo it means a lot. I am glad you liked it :)

Just a little update, I have added few more sample images and photos.

Note : I am not a native English speaker, so there might be few grammar mistakes here and there, sorry about it in advance.

No apologies necessary, there are no 'grammar police' here.

Great review, however I think you misunderstand meaning of "action camera". This camera is not to record or take a pictures of sudden events.
Action camera is for active people - skiing, snowboarding, windsurfing etc - like GoPro. We just need waterproof case and it will be like GoPro just 5-6 times cheaper.
To take a picture of sudden events you need DSLR. They are quick and fast. Anyway you have my thumb up!

We need more sample videos ;)
I believe I uploaded more then enough video samples. Is there a specific situation/footage that you would like to see?
Last time I uploaded bunch of videos for my SJ4000 WiFi Review and some of those samples ended up in some guys video, claiming he recorded them :-O

No apologies necessary, there are no 'grammar police' here.
Glad to hear that @parklawn. On few other forums I have been a member of, people tend to criticize grammar mistakes rather then quality of reviews.

Thanks for the review, now I'm more familiar with this product without having to actually buy one :)
Pier, I am very glad that a well-known member like you found my video helpful.

Great review, however I think you misunderstand meaning of "action camera". This camera is not to record or take a pictures of sudden events.
Action camera is for active people - skiing, snowboarding, windsurfing etc - like GoPro. We just need waterproof case and it will be like GoPro just 5-6 times cheaper.
To take a picture of sudden events you need DSLR. They are quick and fast. Anyway you have my thumb up!
Hey, thanks, appreciate it.
About action camera. I said in the video that its my personal opinion. Sorry, but I disagree that action camera should not be fast. Quite opposite, when you are in an extreme situation, you need something small, to take video/photo quickly and move on. SLR cameras are not as fast. Imagine that you have to pull it out of your protective bag, remove lens cap, turn it on and then click - photo. Action camera should be : get it out the pocket, turn it on fast, click, end. With YI its. Turn it on, wait for it 5-8 seconds to boot, turn on WiFi to see if you need to change an option, and then take an image. When in extreme situation, you do not wish to think about app and **** like that, you want a quick video or photo. But again, its just my opinion. YI is not an action camera for me. Its a great camera for everything except for extreme sports.

Back