In need of a camera (action or dashcam) that can use an external mic., as well as external power

Eugene7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using a Mobius with a modified external microphone, for some years, but that has now died...
The new mobius cameras have a surface mount microphone, so I can no longer replace that with an external one.

So, I need an action camera, or dashcam, to run on a Caterham 7 roll bar, with external mic, and continuous usb power, as the camera will be running all day, with occasional breaks at refreshment stops, as we tour Spain & Portugal this year.
(You can see past videos on YouTube - Le BOG Club - to get an idea of the need.)

So, what are the suggestions?
I really did like the Mobius size, and it was permanently mounted on my roll-bar, with a home-made water resistant cover.
(And yes, I did kill two cameras over the years in really, really wet conditions!)

Thoughts?

I know Viofo A139 and now the Pro version can run on USB-C and have the ability to plug in an external MIC.
But it is surly bigger than a Mobius camera. So that's something to consider.

Thanks - I've been doing more research, and this is looking interesting.
Anyone got any experience?

I forgot to say, I do need 90 deg FOV.

Although not as small as a Mobius the original Gitip 2 and Gitup 3 (GoPro style) action cameras (made by Viofo) are still available and they support external microphones. Gitup doesn't seem to offer the external microphones any more but they might have some available if you contact them. Aftermarket microphones with the correct plug should work with these cameras if you can find one. Go Pro mics for certain models will work.

Back