Incomplete Loop Recordings & Recording Gaps

fox252

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I've been trying to tackle this problem for some time now but just can't seem to squash it. My camera is set to 10 minute loops but only records a random amount; any where from 1-9 minutes with a gap for ~20 seconds in-between. I've tried fully wiping and reformatting my SD card a few times now which has not resolved the issue. Specs below. Appreciate any insights.

A129 Duo
Firmware 1.9
200Gb Sandisk Ultra A1 SDXC U1

Hello,

I've been trying to tackle this problem for some time now but just can't seem to squash it. My camera is set to 10 minute loops but only records a random amount; any where from 1-9 minutes with a gap for ~20 seconds in-between. I've tried fully wiping and reformatting my SD card a few times now which has not resolved the issue. Specs below. Appreciate any insights.

A129 Duo
Firmware 1.9
Unplug the rear camera from the front and test again.

Try 3 minute looping.

Be sure motion detection is off.

I have the same issue. I didn't notice until my wife got in an accident and found out it happened during the recording gap so no footage of how it happened. Only the beforehand and aftermath. It sucked big time!

Was on v1.9. Now downgrade to v1.5 and still the same.

Using a class 1 Toshiba Exceria 128GB card. Will try use another card to test.

Tested front cam only with 3 min recording loops and no issue. Going to plug in the rear and see what happens.

Tested front cam only with 3 min recording loops and no issue. Going to plug in the rear and see what happens.
Did you confirm that motion detection is turned off? If on it could cause what you're experiencing.

Confirming motion detection was always set to "off".

I'm now suspicious the the rear camera cable/ connection is compromised or that a U1 SD card can't handle both? Not seen much online to back up the latter theory.

...or that a U1 SD card can't handle both? Not seen much online to back up the latter theory.
It's possible the card could be an issue. Some time back I had a similar issue with an SG camera that would intermittently create 'short' files with gaps between them (see this post - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9663dr-update.33839/page-16#post-480310). After much gnashing of teeth and tearing out hair (which I can ill afford to do) I found the card I was using was writing data at 1.8MB/s versus the rated speed of 90MB/s (this post - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9663dr-update.33839/page-17#post-483703).

Interesting. About to head out to test with rear camera connected. If I run into an issue I'll test the card speed

Results from a 19hr H2testw... For a U1, I should expect a write speed closer to 10 MBs right?

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 3.35 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.5 MByte/s

For a U1, I should expect a write speed closer to 10 MBs right?
The Transcend card I tested as a comparison in the link earlier is a U1 and the write speeds were 23 sequential and 17 random.

How did you do the test?... USB adapter?,... SD port on the computer?,... etc., it could make a difference in the test results. If you used a USB adapter on a slow port that could be the limiting factor even for a good card.

My case is confirmed that it is the card issue. Changed to a Transcend Premium 400x 64GB U1 card and it didn't have skipping issue anymore.

A couple things will try:
1. use sdformatter to format the Toshiba 128GB U1 (original) card and then test again on v1.5
2. up the firmware back to v1.9 and test again with Transcend 64GB
3. A new card is on the way...samsung pro endurance 128GB, test on 1.5 and 1.9

It's gonna be a fun next week

I'm tired to troubleshooting so will just by a new card... Looking at the Samsung 128G Pro-endurance too

Some updates on the test result:

Cards:
1. Toshiba Exceria U1 128GB
2. Transcend Premium 400x U1 64GB
3. Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB - coming in

Test Result:
1. FW v1.9 + Toshiba = skipping
2. FW v1.5 + Toshiba = skipping
3. FW v1.5 + Transcend = no skipping
4. FW v1.5 + Toshiba (sdformatter) = no skipping
5. FW v1.9 + Toshiba (sdformatter) = testing today
6. FW v1.9 + Samsung (sdformatter) = pending...

To my surprise sdformatter seems fixed the problem on the Toshiba card on v1.5. Testing the same card with v1.9 and Auto Detect Parking Mode the next couple days.

Weird that it took me 3~4 hours to format that damn Toshiba 128GB. I thought the computer was frozen at one point. Maybe the adaptor is slow? I was using USB to SD card, SD card to micro SD adaptor...too many entities in between?

...Maybe the adaptor is slow? I was using USB to SD card, SD card to micro SD adaptor...too many entities in between?
It's possible the USB is the bottle neck, especially if it's not USB3. Even if the port itself is fast enough the USB adapter may not be. Best to use an SD port on the computer if available.

Hello,

A129 Duo
Firmware 1.9

Most likely 1 of 2 issues.

1. SD card incompatibility - Very likely your issue. The camera absolutely hated my Sandisk Ultra Plus card and froze randomly. I now use a Sandisk A2 Extreme without any issues.

2. Unknown bug that you've found. Possible.

Some updates on the test result:

Cards:
1. Toshiba Exceria U1 128GB
2. Transcend Premium 400x U1 64GB
3. Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB - coming in

Test Result:
5. FW v1.9 + Toshiba (sdformatter) = testing today
6. FW v1.9 + Samsung (sdformatter) = pending...

To my surprise sdformatter seems fixed the problem on the Toshiba card on v1.5. Testing the same card with v1.9 and Auto Detect Parking Mode the next couple days.

Weird that it took me 3~4 hours to format that damn Toshiba 128GB. I thought the computer was frozen at one point. Maybe the adaptor is slow? I was using USB to SD card, SD card to micro SD adaptor...too many entities in between?

I found the dashcam is very sensitive to the memory card. I switched to a Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB, get it formatted by sdformatter at my computer, then putting in the dashcam to format the card again. The dashcam has been healthy so far the last week.

- firmware v1.9
- power cable connecting directly to the dashcam, not to the gps

Final Test Result:
5. FW v1.9 + Toshiba (sdformatter) = no skipping
6. FW v1.9 + Samsung (sdformatter) = no skipping

Back