Inconsistency entering / exiting parking mode?

Updated to firmware 1.39 and set it to 30FPS, high quality, 24 hour cutoff, 12.4V cutoff. Followed firmware upgrade instructions and used the same 128gb Samsung EVO SD card. I’ll try to remember to check it in 6 hours.

Last edited:
No more freezing/beeping on the speed unit.

It cut off before 6 hours, I’ve now bumped down the FPS to 5 instead of 30. I’ll see how long it goes after work.

If you think it could be the SD card, I have a transcend 32gb card that I got when I first purchased the camera probably over a year ago.

6 hours is probably about right if you have the cutoff set to 12.4v, it may go a bit longer using timelapse mode as that's a little bit more efficient, won't be a lot different though

It used to run the full 12 hours obviously not at 30FPS though at 12.4V, 60HZ, high quality, 5FPS, etc. I did bump the cutoff to the second highest at one point with no luck.

Need to pick up a multi-meter today so I can see if the battery might be the cause if it does it in 5FPS. Is there much variation if any between testing the voltage at the battery vs parking mode box? It’s coming off the fuse panel. I don’t want to pull the cabling out if it’s not necessary.

EDIT: Parking mode turned off within 3 hours on 5FPS. Bumped it down to 2FPS. Will check back in 3 hours. I basically want this to run at full specs(except 30FPS because I don’t know how much that will drain) for 12 hours minimum.

Last edited:
there is a small difference in power consumption between 30fps and timelapse (about 20mAh only), there is no difference in power consumption between any any of the timelapse modes, if it's cutting off sooner it's a sign that your battery is getting lower in reserve power, charge state, age of the battery, how much you drive the vehicle are what will influence the results

I am so going to figure out how much bigger battery i can put in my car, want to be so ready when i get to use parking guard full time.

Ya, I forgot to grab a multimeter and check. There was a 1-1.5 month gap where it wasn’t used. Before that it worked perfect, got the car back and installed the cam as well as update the firmware and it’s having this issue. I checked earlier after changing it to 2fps and it cut off around 3 hours this time.

Can you explain time lapse vs FPS? I don’t see a time lapse function.

Does G-sensor in parking mode consume much more power? I had that set to high.

There was a 1-1.5 month gap where it wasn’t used. Before that it worked perfect, got the car back

what do you mean by got the car back?

Can you explain time lapse vs FPS? I don’t see a time lapse function.
1fps, 2fps, 5fps are timelapse frame rate settings, the 30fps setting is a low bitrate recording

Does G-sensor in parking mode consume much more power? I had that set to high.
no difference at all

your parking mode not lasting long would be a direct result of the state of your battery

The car was at the shop so I removed camera until I got it back. Updated it and re-mounted it.

Ya, I’m going to pick up a multimeter today. Last time it shut off in 1.5 hours. If it is my battery I’ll have to look into a yellow top. I bumped down the voltage cut to see if it helps.

I wish there was an indicator somehow showing the camera turned off due to the voltage cut.

If I don’t see anything off with the multimeter I’ll set the voltage cut to the lowest tonight to see.

Last edited:
Using parking guard with another brand camera i have noticed that the time it run parking mode are not the same every time, even if i have driven a few hours every time before parking to make sure car battery are topped up ( using 12.2 V cut off on that camera )
Good news is today i took a close look at my car battery, and i can easy fit a battery that are 100 MM taller and 20 mm longer, and even a little wider too.
So now i have hopes of a 70 Ah battery Vs the 45 Ah that are standard. :cool:

Car / battery from 2012 so getting old but appear to be fine, still it is going to be swapped out.

I would say everything points toward your battery being the issue, the run time will get less and less as it ages which is quite normal

Yes and a lead acid battery can suddenly deteriorate at a fast pace.
I also think performance fluctuation are not uncommon even without factoring in summer / severe winter weather.

sounds like a power related issue, see how you go and we'll diagnose further once you've run it for a bit

Ya, it seems you were right. It just happened to be coincidental timing with updating the firmware. I set it to 12V cutoff and it recorded much longer so I’m going to order a Northstar AGM D35 this week. It’s the highest power deep cycle battery that size I could find. It’s about double the power of my oem battery and high quality.

Wish I’d be alright with throwing down $400+ on a 16lb Arc-Angel lithium battery.

I just got bad news, or rather found bad news.
I cant just put in a larger battery, both the + and - battery wire are just the right length so i cant just put in a taller battery, also a lot of wires seen to terminate on the + side just at the battery clamp, so a big ass "brick" hang off my battery so that side of things will not be easy to extend. :censored:

But ! i haven't given up all together yet, but i will have to take the battery out of my car, and do a through analyze of the battery tray itself too, cuz i think there are things to do, just have to figure out how to lengthen both battery wires with 10 CM or so.
Also contemplating putting another smaller battery on the car, on the Right hand side of the engine there are room, just how to hang it off the inner fender.
Return of winter put a damper on things, found these bad news leaning over my engine bay at my gas station under their "roof" in a minor snowstorm, also i will need access to a Co2 welder to mod current battery tray, and possible MOD another one for a #2 battery.
Haven't googled yet for universal battery trays if something like that even exist.

And again i curse the engineer, this time the one that came up with the layout in my little mini car.

need to check, I just replaced the battery in one of my cars, the factory battery looked decent size but the one I replaced it with is the same physical size but almost double the capacity

Not much to do in my battery size ( 44 Ah ) L- 207 mm H 175 mm - W 175 mm

If that brick dident hang off my + wire i could use a 20 mm Longer battery, and then i would still have 30 - 40 mm to the air intake plastics if i was to have the battery hang off the tray.
Which i wouldn't mind but then i would have to clamp battery old style as the current Korean style gripping a lip at the bottom of the battery can no no longer be used. ( lock down battery on the ends at the moment )
I am thinking i might be able to have that brick on the + wire hang over the side of a new longer battery instead of the end like now, but i would still have to lengthen i think as longer battery also mean taller.
But i will have to get the battery out, and try with a cardboard mock up of a larger battery if i can hang the + wire that way, if so i would prefer just 1 larger battery.

I can even mount a much wider battery if i cut the holder of for my coolant expansion tank and flipped it 180 degrees so the tank would be outside of the battery tray.
In that case i think i could go to a pretty hefty 100 Ah battery. :cool:

clutch-clinic-Figure-1-suzuki-1024x577.jpg

The reason i have room on the right side of motor is my car don't have aircon, which seem to be what is there in the picture above.

There are usually high-capacity batteries made for most sizes but they can get pricey. Not easy to engineer a battery holder for a car. You have to consider the batteries mass and it's inertia from every direction plus what might happen if it gets loose or during a crash. Don't forget to see how it intrfaces with the hood (bonnet); I've seen incorrect batteries short out there.

Phil

Haha i saw that too in a top gear episode with the guys buying and driving old cars in Africa, i have tried to make my current battery 100 mm taller by placing something on the top of it, and i was able to close hood fine,,,,,, and i don't need 100 mm taller battery, 60 - 70 mm at most.

Something like this.
990000002076_0_m_526_878.JPG

It is L 270 mm W 173 mm T 222 mm

Last edited:
i have tried to make my current battery 100 mm taller by placing something on the top of it, and i was able to close hood fine,,,,,, and i don't need 100 mm taller battery, 60 - 70 mm at most.
then someone sits on ya bonnet and gets fried when they short the battery out.
just put a battery in ya boot and run some beefy leads up to the front.

Back