Industrial Strength Dash Cam?

buffumjr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I know it would be more expensive, but what I'd want is as follows:

1. Set and forget. Not fragile, or subject to the delicate whimsy of Chinese quality control. The reason is, I'm not buying one to post videos on YouTube, this is a Driving Data Recorder, against that (I hope never!) day, when some no-mind crack head bashes into me for reasons known only to him, but now forgotten. I don't want to check it, only to find it hasn't worked for three weeks prior to the accident.

2. Capable of recording speed, brake light, signal lights.

3. Not temperature delicate.

4. Not plagued by "this copy" problems. Works first time, every time.

I am impressed by the units in police cruisers, some tractor-trailers, and buses. Ruggedized almost to mil-spec. Because they save the driver's or officer's freedom by saving speed, direction, and whether she did what was required by law at the critical moment.

Is there an equivalent on the market, for consumers, or do I need to start looking at sites for police agencies?

The type you're referring to are around $8000
If you do spend that much money please review it here.
The closest thing I can thing is a model from Lukas that supports OBD II

Yeah, but not so bulky. I could tolerate half that volume. What you have done, though, is given me the beginning of a trail to follow.

I was watching an episode of "Air Crash Investigation". After a crash, they recovered the black box, only to find the Flight Data Recorder had not worked for two years before the accident. I do not want that to happen to me. Some crashes are so difficult to unwind that the liability could go either way. I want no doubt.

Search goes on. Will post if I find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back