Information on Microsoft going to charge you.

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
Some might know about this, some not. This is your future with MS! I get this type of information from "FOSS" a Linux Info group.

Future for Linux getting Brighter with Microsofts Latest Paid Update notification

Discussion

wadesmart

4d

One of my clients asked if I had read the Forbes story about Microsoft charging after 2020 for updates. I said no. Found the article and sure enough, “Microsoft has always described Windows 10 ‘as a service’ and leaks have already revealed new monthly charges are coming. … In a new blog post entitled ‘Helping customers shift to a modern desktop’, Microsoft has announced that it will indeed start charging Windows 7 customers a monthly fee from Jan 14, 2020, if they want to keep their computers safe.” (safe = updates). “Furthermore, Microsoft says it will increase the cost of this (fee) every year.” Now, this only applies to W7 Pro in Volume Licensing. Maybe some small businesses. All home users will be left out and will have to move to W10.
There are things I like about Windows but MS has needed to do something different for a long time. Breaking from their past like Apple did isnt something they have wanted to do. Charging a home user a monthly fee after already purchasing the computer… hmm charging ANY user a monthly fee… this already has some people jumpy. This article came out Sept 8 and Im surprised at how many are already sending me emails asking about this.
I was a long time user of the software The Brain but dumped it this past year when they said they would only support Windows going forward. Thats fine. Their choice. Some of my clients used that software and they dropped it too but for other reasons other than lack of Linux support. But now we are, slowly, starting to see advantages to look at other OS and how they save us money - in all the different ways.
Anyway, I find these little things push more people into considering other options which have a increasing effect upon our community.

sounds like moving to the Office model, you buy the product outright with 12 months of updates, or buy it cheaper with a yearly fee and updates continue for as long as you keep paying

If MS wants to hang itself, I say let them. People aren't going to pay a monthly fee when they have other alternatives. They have been the best promotor for going to Linux for years now anyway!

Phil

If MS wants to hang itself, I say let them. People aren't going to pay a monthly fee when they have other alternatives. They have been the best promotor for going to Linux for years now anyway!

Phil

the problem is not the OS, it's the other programs you want to use that are only on some platforms that leave you tied to an OS for whatever reason, we have Windows, Mac and Linux PC's in the office, can't do everything on any one of them, they all serve a purpose

Aren't we talking about Windows 7, which came out in 2015? 2020 marks its end of extended support period, and MS is only talking about a paid model for those who needs support after that. Given MS has made an upgrade path available via Windows 10, I don't see what else, as a business, they can do other than charging for that support.

edit: The first line was meant to say Windows 7 came out "of support" in 2015.

Last edited:
Aren't we talking about Windows 7, which came out in 2015? 2020 marks its end of extended support period, and MS is only talking about a paid model for those who needs support after that. Given MS has made an upgrade path available via Windows 10, I don't see what else, as a business, they can do other than charging for that support.

I don't think it's unfair to charge for support for those that want to run an older OS, it takes extra effort to keep things working for an outdated OS, should new users be subsidising that instead

I don't think it's unfair to charge for support for those that want to run an older OS, it takes extra effort to keep things working for an outdated OS, should new users be subsidising that instead
I don't think it is fair for a company to sell an operating system that is vulnerable to hackers.
if windows was done right it would need zero updates after its initial release.

if windows was done right it would need zero updates after its initial release.
There is no such thing as bug free software, particularly in a connected world. Show me one operating system that hasn't had to receive one security patch during its lifetime. Besides, even gadgets you buy have a warranty period, why not software?

Aren't we talking about Windows 7, which came out in 2015? .

Windows 7 was released in 2009. Mainstream support was scheduled to end in 2015.

Unless the user has a piece of legacy software that will only run on Win7, then upgrading to Win 10 is an easy option.

You are right, I meant "came out of support in", not "came out in".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lola Dash Cam Software / Development 10
Back