Infrared night cameras - eye damage?

I often drive on pitch black roads at night with no streetlights where I may not encounter another oncoming vehicle for many miles of driving.
I really think that most people put their headlights on when it is dark, they don't drive in the pitch black!

Well, apart from Kamkar :ROFLMAO:

Even when driving in an International Dark Sky Reserve, I don't get pitch black roads! Light levels are always relative.

I really think that most people put their headlights on when it is dark, they don't drive in the pitch black!

Well, apart from Kamkar :ROFLMAO:

Even when driving in an International Dark Sky Reserve, I don't get pitch black roads! Light levels are always relative.

Stop playing childish games, Nigel. I'm talking about not encountering oncoming headlights on dark rural roads and you well know that.

As it happens, I live in an area that has extremely low levels of light pollution according my experience and to the available maps. And it is heavily forested, so I can assure you all the tree canopied roads we travel are quite dark to drive on at night. Indeed, light levels are "relative", but you'd rather play games because you apparently have nothing worthwhile to contribute to the conversation.

light_pollution_map.jpg

Last edited:
Stop playing childish games, Nigel. I'm talking about not encountering oncoming headlights on dark rural roads and you well know that.
Why are you talking about oncoming headlights at night when there is little traffic about?
You should have your own headlights turned on when it is dark!
This is about the relative brightness of scene lit by the driver's own headlights and the illumination from the dashcam lamp.

Why are you talking about oncoming headlights at night when there is little traffic about?
You should have your own headlights turned on when it is dark!
This is about the relative brightness of scene lit by the driver's own headlights and the illumination from the dashcam lamp.

Still engaging in the same trolling game I see, trying to claim I'm not using my headlights on dark roads.

Clearly, I've been talking about how oncoming headlights will cause your pupils to close down more than just the effect from one's own headlights vs not encountering any oncoming vehicles at night on dark roads. You on the other hand have been trying to equate the illumination inside a dark car at night with bright noon day sun. Obviously, since that argument didn't work for you, you apparently want to change the subject and turn it into a farcical game of trolling. As I said earlier, this is because you have nothing intelligent, mature or worthwhile to contribute to the conversation.

The difference between the effect on one's pupil size while driving on a completely dark road at night versus suddenly encountering oncoming bright headlights is quite dramatic.

darkroad.jpg

headlights.jpg

Personally, I would not fit a dashcam with an internal camera that has IR. But that's my choice.

I bought a used GoPro Hero 7 Black on eBay back in November 2021 and fitted a full spectrum lens to it. It can now film day and night. If I use the IR Cut filter it produces an almost life-like colour. The IR illuminators that I have are generally 850nm and are fitted on a cold-shoe mount on a metal cage for the GoPro. When doing a talk-to-camera at night, I am very careful to look at the lens of the GoPro and not the IR illuminator 10cm above it.

I've just received a NightFox Spectrum LED torch that has three modes: 13W white light; 5W IR 850nm; 5W IR 940nm. The 940nm is about half the brightness of the 850nm although both wavelengths with illuminate to around 150 to 200 metres when used with devices that have IR optics.

The 940nm is about half the brightness of the 850nm although both wavelengths with illuminate to around 150 to 200 metres when used with devices that have IR optics.
Do you mean that the camera is half as sensitive to the 940? When it comes to eye damage I would expect them to be about equal.

At 5w you do want to be careful.

Hi Nigel,

Sorry, it was a bad explanation.

I meant to say that to the naked eye (at a reasonable distance and only for a fraction of a second) the 940nm wavelength appears to be about half as bright as the 850nm wavelength. So if you need stealth, then 940nw is better as it shows up less to the naked eye.

As for cameras. It depends on the specification of the camera lens. The full spectrum lens that I fitted to the GoPro Hero 7 Black can pick up both 850nm and 940nm, and there was hardly any difference in the results between 850nm and 940nw. Although if pressed, I'd say that 850nm was slightly brighter for the camera than 940nm. I have heard that some cheaper cameras/lenses will only work with 850nm.

For eye damage, I would too expect them to be as dangerous as each other and if I saw any IR pointed at me I would avert my eyes and not look directly at it

At 5w you do want to be careful.
Definitely! (y)

It is a shame. I really wanted the A139.; I have the Vantrue N4 now and had a passenger last night that said she is in capable of puking when she got in the car. Before the ride stopped she had stuck her head out and puked all over the side of my car. The camera was mounted half behind my rearview on the right of it. She was sitting behind me. I am shielded, but it caught her the whole ride... her statement, her ignoring me... her getting out and not even telling me what she had done. Pretty girl but total DB. She was billed $80 for the clean up. Bought the car 2 weeks ago. Two years doing this, she is the only one to not warn me to stop the car. So pissed. But that is in part what the camera is for. The Slingshot bar in Charlotte... does not seem to cut people off. they are always falling in the streets in front of the bar. I think the video is noticeably better than the N2 Pro.

It is a shame. I really wanted the A139.; I have the Vantrue N4 now and had a passenger last night that said she is in capable of puking when she got in the car. Before the ride stopped she had stuck her head out and puked all over the side of my car. The camera was mounted half behind my rearview on the right of it. She was sitting behind me. I am shielded, but it caught her the whole ride... her statement, her ignoring me... her getting out and not even telling me what she had done. Pretty girl but total DB. She was billed $80 for the clean up. Bought the car 2 weeks ago. Two years doing this, she is the only one to not warn me to stop the car. So pissed. But that is in part what the camera is for. The Slingshot bar in Charlotte... does not seem to cut people off. they are always falling in the streets in front of the bar. I think the video is noticeably better than the N2 Pro.

Might I suggest an accessory to keep in your vehicle.......................:)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07QTFL267

As for cameras. It depends on the specification of the camera lens.
The image sensors, like your eyes, are less sensitive at 940nm. Sme may be a lot less sensitive, the dashcam ones only a little.

Many years since I've been to Charlotte and I no longer drink, but it did have a great downtown nightlife back in the day :cool: I wouldn't be worried about dashcam IR illumination there because there's so much ambient light in these big cities (especially downtown) that your pupils will never be fully dialated and therefore will not be receiving a full dose of the IR either. I presume the N4 uses the same IR LED's as the N2 Pro did. In comparison to the N2 Pro my A139 is much brighter with the IR and the images are clearer and crisper in detail. I don't do rideshare but if I did I'd have two cams covering the passengers arranged such that one or the other would have clear view of everything.

Phil

In comparison to the N2 Pro my A139 is much brighter with the IR and the images are clearer and crisper in detail.
That is partly the far more sensitive sensor, I think it is mainly from the sensor.

The A139 does have more LEDs, which suggests that it has more IR, but that also spreads the IR source out rather than meaning that it is more intense. I think the LEDs are also significantly wider angle, which also reduces the intensity when it reaches your eyes.

Many years since I've been to Charlotte and I no longer drink, but it did have a great downtown nightlife back in the day :cool: I wouldn't be worried about dashcam IR illumination there because there's so much ambient light in these big cities (especially downtown) that your pupils will never be fully dialated and therefore will not be receiving a full dose of the IR either. I presume the N4 uses the same IR LED's as the N2 Pro did. In comparison to the N2 Pro my A139 is much brighter with the IR and the images are clearer and crisper in detail. I don't do rideshare but if I did I'd have two cams covering the passengers arranged such that one or the other would have clear view of everything.

Phil
Thanks for your response Phil... but that is absolutely incorrect. The nightlife was great, but it is booming now and totally crowded... glad I am not into it any more. As for the lighting, I do Uber. So I drive close to 30 hours or more a week in the dark. There are lots of dark roads and I have tons of footage with the IR lights on... Always on. Vantrue sells a sticky mount with GPS... which has allowed me to mount the camera behind the mirror and just far enough so the LED's do not hit my eyes... but maybe my ears. If and when this camera fails I will try the latest Viofo, but will most likely construct a barrier to mount to the camera so it will not let the IR hit my eyes. Hopefully I will be done with rideshare by then. (Plenty of images with eyes dialated and fully lit retinas.

I managed to get a sticky GPS mount for the Vantrue N4. It worked nicely. I do not like the way the cables are routed... esp. compared to the A139.

Might I suggest an accessory to keep in your vehicle.......................:)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07QTFL267

I am already stocked and have actually had two different pregnant women use them during rides.

I managed to get a sticky GPS mount for the Vantrue N4 to mount on the Frits. It worked nicely. I do not like the way the cables are routed... esp. compared to the A139.

As you can see from the first image, the IR does not hit my eyes. Regardless of damages... my eyes should be shielded from direct IR and it does not affect visibility of the road.FRONT 1.jpgFRONT 2.jpgREAR.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to get a sticky GPS mount for the Vantrue N4. It worked nicely. I do not like the way the cables are routed... esp. compared to the A139.

I am already stocked and have actually had two different pregnant women use them during rides.

Too bad you didn't have a puke bag on hand when the drunk passenger got in your car and she was incapable of puking when she got in your car. :hungover::spitoutdummy:

Too bad you didn't have a puke bag on hand when the drunk passenger got in your car and she was incapable of puking when she got in your car. :hungover::spitoutdummy:

Poor assumption.... wait... look in the quite... it says I am stocked... I do Uber! Of course I do. I had two emesis bags in front of her and one white bag with straps in the other seat.

After 11pm, I make it a point to say "It's not personal, everybody gets the speech... if you feel sick let me know and I will pull over in 2 seconds flat. Just in case, there are bags in front of you. You do not want to puke in an Uber car it can get very expensive... and.. I have no tolerance for fragrance and have pregnant womans' sense of smell and do not want to have to get another car. If I feel they have a sense of humor and they are very drunk or disrespectful the tiniest, I may add or instill... that it is in their best interests not to get sick in the car or...

Course if they are drunk enough to puke, what really makes anyone think their aim will be true if they even grab the bag in the first place.

There are quite a few rideshares with crap cars, but I keep mine in immaculate condition, most if not all people get that I am overprotective... are understanding and appreciate the car.

If the car was not well kept... and already stunk... the concern would be unfounded and the ratings would go down. Did my 5000'th ride last week.

Poor assumption.... wait... look in the quite... it says I am stocked... I do Uber! Of course I do. I had two emesis bags in front of her and one white bag with straps in the other seat.

After 11pm, I make it a point to say "It's not personal, everybody gets the speech... if you feel sick let me know and I will pull over in 2 seconds flat. Just in case, there are bags in front of you. You do not want to puke in an Uber car it can get very expensive... and.. I have no tolerance for fragrance and have pregnant womans' sense of smell and do not want to have to get another car. If I feel they have a sense of humor and they are very drunk or disrespectful the tiniest, I may add or instill... that it is in their best interests not to get sick in the car or...

Course if they are drunk enough to puke, what really makes anyone think their aim will be true if they even grab the bag in the first place.

There are quite a few rideshares with crap cars, but I keep mine in immaculate condition, most if not all people get that I am overprotective... are understanding and appreciate the car.

If the car was not well kept... and already stunk... the concern would be unfounded and the ratings would go down. Did my 5000'th ride last week.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you only stocked up on the bags after the unpleasant incident with the drunk upchucking lass.

You can find a variety of infrared filter glasses on Amazon. You just have to make sure you buy ones that filter the correct wavelengths.

Are you able to see the infrared on your phone camera in the dark? I know iPhones have infrared filters on their rear lense, but the front facing cameras do not. The front camera of my iphone will pick up the infrared if I point and click the remote at the front camera of my phone.when I click my tv remote in the dark while I have the front camera active. I'm interested in knowing if the same thing works for your dash cam. If so, it might be a way to test whether a pair of infrared glasses actually filter out the infrared light.

Back