initial question DR550GW-2CH

jtb

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi, got my Black Vue this week, installed the cam in the car and it works as expected (_v1.019G).
But some issues questions:
  • of course the video quality is questionable (pixelation in specific cases, not clear yet in which situation)
  • more interesting: I installed the front cam on the right side, so the streaming is upside down, so on the phone (Android/Live-Stream) there is no possibility to switch the streaming to the correct orientation - any ideas?
  • GPS / location: On the phone I see the pace (xx km/h), but the location will not be updated in the small Google Maps window (mobile, saved movies) - same: any ideas?
  • not clear: why not both movies = front + back are transferred to the mobile?
  • no possibility to see the transferred movies on the Computer (as there is no way to access the movies on the mobile phone's sdxc-card (in the phone) - as well: why the movies are stored on the internal memory and not the external card???
  • is there a possibility to automatically transfer e.g. the Events to the mobile?
  • Wifi stops after some time, no idea what's the reason for this...
So this are only my first thoughts, after having the first test drives...

You can copy the "record" folder to a PC and view it
Hi, got my Black Vue this week, installed the cam in the car and it works as expected (_v1.019G).
  • of course the video quality is questionable (pixelation in specific cases, not clear yet in which situation)
  • more interesting: I installed the front cam on the right side, so the streaming is upside down, so on the phone (Android/Live-Stream) there is no possibility to switch the streaming to the correct orientation - any ideas?
  • GPS / location: On the phone I see the pace (xx km/h), but the location will not be updated in the small Google Maps window (mobile, saved movies) - same: any ideas?
  • no possibility to see the transferred movies on the Computer (as there is no way to access the movies on the mobile phone's sdxc-card (in the phone) - as well: why the movies are stored on the internal memory and not the external card???
  • is there a possibility to automatically transfer e.g. the Events to the mobile?

Turn the camera around the opposite way it is only intended to go with power on the right

Why do you need streaming when you are looking through the windscreen at what the camera is seeing anyway and rightside up as well LOL

All the cameras store on internal card You have to d.load to phone

Take internal card out put in PC and use viewer to see GPS position in "My Viewer"

no there isn't all or nothing or one at a time on a PC

Last edited:

video quality is questionable
The Video Quality is due to bit rate the camera has this issue. it is all over this forum.

streaming is upside down
That is not able to be sorted unless you turn the camera the right way up.

location will not be updated on Google Maps
I have just noticed while proof reading you have a 1.019G Camera so Ignore this little bit... DOH Need to read more.

The camera Firmware may need to be updated. the latest update is available for download at the bottom of my post. to update. unplug the power from the camera and wait for it to turn off, then take the memory card out of the camera and put the memory card into your PC's USB port using the supplied microSD to USB converter and format it so that it is like a NEW Blank card, use full format, takes a while but is safer. After it has Formatted, run the Software contained in the Zip file this will install the update on the memory card for you. Keep the camera unplugged then insert the card and plug in the power. it will take a short while then it will update and format the card with all the software needed.

not clear: why not both movies = front + back are transferred to the mobile?
This is because the camera is a Dual camera system and if you have slammed the brakes on and someone goes up the back of you but you had no proof that something forced you to stop, then both the cameras have recorded the Whole Incident.

no possibility to see the transferred movies on the Computer
If you remove the card from the camera, make sure is has powered off first, and insert it into the MicroSD card reader there is software that allows the footage to be viewed on the PC.

is there a possibility to automatically transfer
No not yet as far as I know. the Windows 8 software has been reported as allowing transfer of videos to the PC but I have not been able to get it running yet.

Wifi stops after some time
Wifi is designed to allow the backup and changing of settings, not for Long term Viewing. if you have a crash while looking at the phone the chances are that you will be prosecuted for dangerous driving and that you will have a hefty bill to pay for the accident. the device puts the following information at the bottom middle of the footage.
If the camera is being watched LIVE then it will put LIVE at the bottom / middle of the video.
If you are viewing the recorded footage it will put VOD at the bottom / middle of the video. this stands for Video On Demand. It will also do this when you are in the settings Option.

Hi, thanks for your answers they are highly appreciated,
...but it seems to be funny what kind of answers are given.

Of course (!!), only a fool will drive and watch on the mobile - why you think someone will do this????
I could see this as a personal disrespect, but don't worry it's a forum - so I see it relaxed.
Think about a second person watching and playing with the device ability (WLAN which is not working the whole time)?

In addition another disagreement: I have seen somewhere in the manual or somewhere else a picture which says you can use the DR550 in whatever direction you want (forward or backwards direction) - and this I expected during installation.
BTW: Left or right - it depends on your country, correct?
I need it on the right side installed (as the driver is on the left), but in this case it will be upside down! Full stop.
Edit: I just have seen this (installed on the left side!!):
http://www.blackvue.co.kr/product/dr550gw_2ch/en/dr550gw-2ch_angles.jpg
http://s277.photobucket.com/user/NoisyCrow/media/IMG_5858.jpg.html

Question: Maybe the GPS sensor is in this case not directed skywards? And maybe the pace (km/h) is coming only from the G-Sensor? Do you have any idea about this?

Going forward:
The bad video quality should be mentioned by the manufacturer or seller during buying process - this is a design/production issue, I am not a Beta tester...
This is nothing I should expect or should know before buying any electronic equipment. Now it's sadly to late :-(

You say pull out the SD-card... Yes that's totally true - I have done this with other dash-cams and it worked well.
1) BUT !! Now I have a mobile device which is able to save the relevant videos (and only those are of interest) on the mobile's storage. Why bother to pull the SD-card out?
2) AND !! Why they put a cover on the device? To get the SD-Card out you have to remove all the cables - fantastic design!!

Peter: You are correct with your answer about the question "why not both movies = front + back are transferred to the mobile?".
But I would expect, that if I transfer e.g. an Event to the mobile it should copy instantly both files front and rear AND NOT only one mpg-file! Or at least in the option it should be possible to define = only front or both.

And another thing: VOD is fine, but has no indication in a law suite as long as there are two persons in the vehicle (and as mentioned at the beginning - only in this case VoD makes sense :) And second part: If WLAN is only for downloading - where it is mentioned? Not in the user-guide.

So sorry for a bit aggressive, but some answers seemed to me to protect the inability of the manufacturer :) I think the device or concept is good, but it has to struggle with some technical issues which needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
When asking questions it does pay to fully explain what you intend doing Eg how are we to know a passenger is playing with the phone if you don't say so. It was a reasonable assumption that it was you.
The picture in the manual that allows rotation of the camera is just that and naturally it will be upside down if rotated half a turn.

It can be used left or right side but must be in the same aspect. Most are mounted with the lens in line with the mirror arm and the cables to the right.
If you aren't taking the card out frequently what difference does it make which seat you sit in for a few moments

The picture you quote shows the camera is upside down on one. I am using one for a security camera ATM and it had to be positioned upside down to conceal it but is not problem as I can flip the image in the PC viewer

By front or back they perhaps mean the ends of the vehicle,
The GPS is a chip in the camera and is what the speed is shown from The G sensor has nothing to do with it unless you hit something.

It is hardly an imposition to shift the cover to take the SD card out is it Just makes the camera end neater and prevents the WiFi button from being bumped. You have to remove the cable in the other models unless you have baby fingers as well.

It seems you expect a lot more from the camera than it was designed to give.

Perhaps more prior research was advisable as there is heaps of info on this forum about the good and bad of all the models.

Nothing is perfect including things made in Germany Eg problems with VW DSG gearboxes.

The cameras have their deficiencies certainly but if used for what they are designed for they do the job. They are crash cams and not epic movie makers. Here are links to how mine are installed in two cars

Polo
http://s376.photobucket.com/user/Hillbilly123_2008/media/IMG_0126_zps1adf51e0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=16

Passat
http://s376.photobucket.com/user/Hillbilly123_2008/media/IMG_00251.jpg.html?sort=3&o=48

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/Hillbilly123_2008/media/IMG_00241.jpg.html?sort=3&o=49

This one in the rear of the wagon

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/Hillbilly123_2008/media/IMG_0112_zps0ec55a95.jpg.html?filters[album_content]=2&filters[album]=/albums/oo204/Hillbilly123_2008&sort=3&o=/albums/oo204/Hillbilly123_2008/IMG_0112_zps0ec55a95.jpg

Just to mention I have removed the stupid cover so I only have to disconnect the power or turn my aux socket off. I did this by taking the end off the camera if I need to send it back for repair or replacement I will push it back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch, crashed gearbox? I would immediately return the car if still legally possible. But even after the guarantee sometimes the manufacturers offer cost-free replacement.

You are lucky to put the dash cam below the rear mirror. For me it’s not possible as there is the black dotted area – so it has to be on the side. Also I do not want it to be seen, but even this is not really possible… The rear camera was much more easily to attach, even circling the cable around the rear curtain…

I thought about removing the cover as well, but you see – the question is, what did they intend with such a cover: it makes only sense if you do not need to remove the SD-Card :-?

If the km/h on a local stored file is shown on the mobile the GPS signal works, fine. But why the position at google is not following? Maybe as well something which needs to be fixed? Can you check on your side please?

Last but not least: “but is not problem as I can flip the image in the PC viewer” – same with the mobile, but it would be so easy (let’s say 20 lines of code) to put a switch on the screen in the viewer!!

Back