Initial Thoughts

PresidentComey

Reaction score
Country
United States
My initial thoughts:
(My camera was provided to me for free in exchange for feed back and review)

Physical Features:
The WR1 is very discrete. Although opinions may vary, I love that it has no screen distracting myself or my passengers. The camera itself is easily hidden behind the rear view mirror and blends well with the dark casing. The camera is much smaller than pictures make it appear, about half the size of a credit card in diameter and about an inch thick. I also appreciate viofo thoughtfully including cable clips in order to neatly run the cable across the windshield and down the side pillar. The usb adapter was both discrete and functional, it included two separate USB ports. In addition two mounting options were offered, suction cup and 3m tape. Both are quite small and while the suction cup is slightly too large to fit behind a mirror, the 3m backed plastic does. I tried mounting both on an unusually hot day and both initially failed. The suction fell off the window completely while the 3m tape stayed up but separated from the plastic backing. After one readjustment it did not happen again. The camera has a built in plastic mechanism for easy removal a plastic sliding system similar to the a118c. It seems sturdy and is quite convenient.

App and Video Review:
I initially had trouble pairing the wifi network with the app, but after trying again it for lack of a better word, just works. The app is simple but easily navigable and has most of the bare bones features that you could want. The one annoyance I had is that in order to view videos through the app the camera must stop recording; this is indicated by a constant beeping sound. I understand that viofo needs to notify users that their camera is not recording but I wish that the implementation would mute the beeping sound while actively reviewing past recordings.

Footage:
I tried to include a varied sampling of video clips below ranging from bright sunlight to driving at night. In general the video quality is pretty good for the price. It is clearly a budget camera and makes no attempt to compete with the greater than $200 camera category. For example. it is very difficult to catch license plates unless still and less than a couple of car lengths away. On a positive note, I noticed that the sensor did a great job adjusting to a variety of conditions. Below I included a sample of sun,fog, rain, night, and transitioning under bridges to show the speed that the sensor can adapt to lighting conditions. I was especially impressed for the most part with how fast the camera was able to focus after coming from relative darkness to bright sunlight. That being said it did have slight issues with large lighting contrasts such as a blinding affect from direct headlights in the dark as well as break lights having a funky effect in a tunnel. Feel free to make your own judgments.

LANGUAGE WARNING (COMEDY RADIO BACKGROUND NOT SAFE FOR WORK)

I would absolutely recommend this camera for those who want a discrete device for the basics, especially at its price point. I will most likely be picking up a second one for my rear windshield. If you want fancy features like parking mode, gps (its in the works but not out yet), or a higher quality 2k/4k camera, be prepared to shell out the big bucks.

Last edited:
Love your work Pres ... :D ... and nice score, that.

Hey kids ... that first vid comes with a language warning ... hahahaha

Just going on the first video so far ... the picture is a little washed out ... and even though I'm not an expert ... it appears to me that the Cam would benefit from having a CPL.
Is there any mention from VIOFO about when a CPL filter will be available for this WR1 model?

Haha, I included a warning in the other thread, I completely forgot to add it here. Yeah youtube washed it out a little, but most of it reflects the actually quality. The size looks pretty standard, we might be able to retrofit a different adapter to it.

I muted the videos I could, and overlaid music on the rest. It should be language free soon(when the edit finishes).

Last edited:
Back