Innovv C3 - how to fix separated bottoms and broken plastic?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
The camera is sleek, looks great and works great.
Metallic housing makes it look strong and is strong but the bottoms are screwed to weak plastic housing inside.

One side of my unit just came off with the screw thread and pieces of plastic when I tried to insert microSD card.
Looked like the screws were over tightened against the brittle plastic for it to come apart like that.
I never even touched the screws nor pushed the bottoms any harder than what's needed to click microSD on the lock.

Once that happended, the other side's bottom also came out along with the screws and screw threads when inserting HDMI cable .
Now the whole thing inside moves up and down making it useless to carry around.

Maybe it's an issue on my unit but if it's a common issue, this camera needs stronger plastic or metal on the inside where bottoms screw on.

20150605_143744-small.jpg

Since there is nothing for the screws to hold on as the plastic is not there anymore, how do I fix it?

Loctite or something to glue it permanently with the metal housing?
That removes option to replace battery later.
Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited:
Unscrew the screws from their threads, then put them back in the threads without the cover, then put all the broken bits back in place including the threads and hold them in place by moulding some epoxy putty around them, when it is 80% set unscrew the screws (if you leave it too long then they may not come out), let it set fully, then reassemble.

The epoxy putty, apart from being very strong, gives a 3D structure which avoids any future fatigue cracks that result from bending forces, far more likely to succeed long term than glue, it will be far stronger than the original. The difficult bit is getting the threads back in the correct place, you need to keep all the broken bits and reassemble, then add the putty. You need to assemble it with the screws in place to stop any putty filling the threads and thus stopping the screws from going back in.

@Nigel
Thanks for suggestion but some smaller pieces are gone and too small like sugar grains to put it together.

@Nigel
Thanks for suggestion but some smaller pieces are gone and too small like sugar grains to put it together.
Then you will need to make some measurements, the epoxy putty will hold the threads in place while you check their position and give you 1 or maybe 2 minutes to push them to the correct position before setting - do one at a time.

These little tabs or similar will be about the right amount and are very convenient, widely available:
$_35.JPG

Don't use the metallic stuff or you might short something!

Good DIY I can see, that works.

Why not give me your address, we send you the plastic parts, so you can re-assemble? ;););)

Back