Innovv C3 with Remote Lens. With exchangable Wide and Narrow FOV lens

Yeah.
The 90 degree lens on the helmet should sort of guide the viewer of a captured video to focus on the same thing the driver do, and same time the depth and distances should feeel more natural.

I cant wait to get my hands on one of these, though i think for my primary needs it might be supplied with wires to the camera thats well long.

Allready i am planning to put cameras where cameras dont normally go :D

Another thought has just ocurred to me. Is the lead from the remote lens to the camera shielded?
Where I would like to position the cam on my bike (thinking ahead) the lead would run past & quite close to the coils, plugs & plug leads. I wouldn't want the lead to pick up interference from the ignition system.

Frank

There are two kind of cables for your connection, one is longer other is shorter.
Are the cables able to be connected together to make it even longer? For drivers who want to mount there in the front end somewhere and run everything else inside the car.
It might be hard to see in my post icon but that is a plastic insert under my lights.
f3xh6v.jpg

This one is not mine, but as an example. To attach the lens to the plastic slat and run the cable under the hood inside the fender well and have everything else in the car.
Seems like a really cool idea. I'm excited to see it done this way to grab some near ground driving footage.

Are the cables able to be connected together to make it even longer? For drivers who want to mount there in the front end somewhere and run everything else inside the car.
It might be hard to see in my post icon but that is a plastic insert under my lights.
f3xh6v.jpg

This one is not mine, but as an example. To attach the lens to the plastic slat and run the cable under the hood inside the fender well and have everything else in the car.
Seems like a really cool idea. I'm excited to see it done this way to grab some near ground driving footage.

Yeah, I've also been interested in the idea of mounting the lens in the front of the vehicle somewhere. On my Toyota truck it could be placed in the center of the vehicle up near the hood which might prove to be an excellent dash cam angle for capturing plate numbers and the road ahead. This would place it higher than in a vehicle like the Camaro. Hopefully, there will be a long enough cable option available to do something like that. As I mentioned in a previous post, there would have to be a way of protecting the lens from road grit with a replaceable clear shield.

Cool looking Camaro BTW, Hope yours looks as nice.

I have done side by side Narrow vs Wide lens FOV tests. Will post results soon, need to process all data.

C3 wide vs narrow (1).jpg

C3 wide vs narrow (2).jpg

C3 wide vs narrow (3).jpg

Do you have any form of waterproof tests on the C3 camera units rockthinking ?

It have to be pretty good closed off to keep the rain out if you drive thru a shover on your motorcycle.

I am not sure if i dare to submerge one to 1.2 M Deep in my friends coi carp pond :D

@kamkar1 brings up a good question. Are the C3 lens modules actually rated for dust and water protection?

This is usually called the IP rating which stands for the International Protection Marking, IEC standard 60529, also sometimes called the Ingress Protection Marking and measures how resistant a device such as a camera is to dust, liquid and objects. The rating is a two digit number. An example would be IP 65 - where the six would be dust protection and the 5 would be liquid ingress.

An IP water rating of 1 would be protection from dripping water. An IP rating of 3 would protect against spraying water and and IP rating of 5 would protect against water jets.

It appears that an IP rating of 65 would be the required minimum number for a motorcycle camera.

Ultimately, whether the C3 lens modules are actually formally rated or not, the question will be how well they perform.

See Wikipedia:

Here's a chart as it relates to CCTV cameras.
weatherproofing-chart.png

Last edited:
Current the only issue is the water leak through the cable into lens case, there are the small gap due to it is necessary for assembling.
And soak lens into water, a very small leak into case but does not impact the shooting.

Now we keep working on improvement.
We try to put the lens case into a glass with water no issue, that would be IP65.

Well to be honest i assume most ppl driving on a motorcycle will take off ther Little camera as falling rain on the lens will render the recordings more or less useless, but a sudden shower can allways pop up, and you can be driving in a place where it would be unsmart to pull over in a rainstorm to pull off the camera gear.
And for the ppl that do need a 100 % seal the round shape of the lens housing make it easy to fabricate somthing with a Little DIY skills.

I think if any camera need to go into the coi pond it will have to be my friends gopro silver or his SJ4000 witch both have 100% waterproff housings.

When i get home tomorrow for a couple of hours i will have to order a RC controller for my train, so that i am ready to take the C3 + C1 out for a spin on the railroad in my friends garden. ( though it need a Little track Work before the trains can run there again as the layout have not been used for 2 years now )

Many of us here on DCT might not think twice about having to DIY some additional waterproofing but many people just want to buy a camera for their bike they don't have to worry about in the rain. RockThing says the waterproofing is already pretty good and I'll bet adding some extra sealing during manufacture can be achieved easily enough. Also, people will want to use this camera in other ways than just on a motorcycle where they want the lens module to work in wet or damp conditions.

I think people on motorbikes might want to shoot video in the rain just the way people use dash cams in the rain. It's not always about capturing great footage but about capturing what is happening.

Well to be honest i assume most ppl driving on a motorcycle will take off ther Little camera as falling rain on the lens will render the recordings more or less useless, but a sudden shower can allways pop up, and you can be driving in a place where it would be unsmart to pull over in a rainstorm to pull off the camera gear.
And for the ppl that do need a 100 % seal the round shape of the lens housing make it easy to fabricate somthing with a Little DIY skills.

I think if any camera need to go into the coi pond it will have to be my friends gopro silver or his SJ4000 witch both have 100% waterproff housings.

When i get home tomorrow for a couple of hours i will have to order a RC controller for my train, so that i am ready to take the C3 + C1 out for a spin on the railroad in my friends garden. ( though it need a Little track Work before the trains can run there again as the layout have not been used for 2 years now )
I leave my camera mounted on the bike at all times normally. Rain tends to fly off the lens at highway speeds plus, even with raindrops, you can still see some events (say someone merging into you, etc).

I can't wait to get my hands on a C3 so I can try it out. Damaged my last camera under the rain, we'll see how the C3 holds up.

Like MrFluff, when I get mine, it will be a permanent fixture to the bike. Rain or no rain. Thats why it needs to be waterproof, no doubt a bit of silicone where the cable goes into the housing will make it fully waterproof?

Frank

Like MrFluff, when I get mine, it will be a permanent fixture to the bike. Rain or no rain. Thats why it needs to be waterproof, no doubt a bit of silicone where the cable goes into the housing will make it fully waterproof?

Frank

I agree that it needs to be waterproof. Somehow, I have confidence that RockThinking will see to it that it is. Remember, this camera basically started out with RockThinking asking us for a "Wish List for Motorcycle Cameras". On the other hand, if it should need some sort of after purchase waterproofing help between the lens module and the cable, as mentioned in a another thread, 3M makes a perfect product for this called Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape. It is a stretchy, rubber like, self-fusing product that can be wrapped around a cable and/or connector and will be completely waterproof. It works much better than silicone for an application like this and will look nicer cosmetically as it is black and designed for sealing cables and connectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
For RockThinking.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that many motorcycles DO get washed using a JETWASH. There is a new IP rating specifically - IP69 which is JETWASH-PROOF

IP67 should be considered the goal. From experience IP65 and IP66 do not withstand protracted use in heavy rain on 2 wheels.

I'd certainly be affixing permanently - I do so with my current cams.

I agree that it needs to be waterproof. Somehow, I have confidence that RockThinking will see to it that it is. Remember, this camera basically started out with RockThinking asking us for a "Wish List for Motorcycle Cameras". On the other hand, if it should need some sort of after purchase waterproofing help between the lens module and the cable, as mentioned in a another thread, 3M makes a perfect product for this called Scotch 2228 Rubber Mastic Tape. It is a stretchy, rubber like, self-fusing product that can be wrapped around a cable and/or connector and will be completely waterproof. It works much better than silicone for an application like this and will look nicer cosmetically as it is black and designed for sealing cables and connectors.
Doesn't seem to be available on Amazon UK - pity :( but I thing I know the kind of stuff you mean, Thanks for the info.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't seem to be available on Amazon UK - pity :( but I thing I know the kind of stuff you mean, Thanks for the info.

Frank

Frank - Try HERE. (eBay -UK) (You'll probably want to around look for the 1 meter length)

Edit: Wait! I found it on Amazon.uk .....HERE.

Last edited:
Back