INNOVV ISSUES?

Azimuth

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Good day,

I have some questions regarding INNOVV K2 unit. I am owning one for more than a year.

a.) I was wondering if someone already removed the rear backplate cover? How does it look like? Is there like a CMOS Battery in it? Was wondering if INNOVV K2 has a storage battery inside the DVR because of that 10 second delay before turning off.

b.) I did add some minor accessory on my motorcycle, I am not sure if it affected by INNOVV Camera in any way. I did install the phone charger directly at the battery. However, it seems that when I shut off my bike, the camera doesn't turn off automatically unlike before.

c.) I did try connect to INNOVV wifi and I notice some flickers at the video capture. After some few minutes when I try accessing the cameras using my phone it prompts that I should reinstall the cameras.

d.) Another thing is, I am from the Philippines, would it be possible to send my unit to INNOVV office to have it repaired?

1594886970207.png

Last edited:
In the order asked:

1) The 10-second delay is handled by the power converter (aka "cube"). Not a feature of the digitial video recorder (DVR), which is that black box with the colorful LEDs, where you put the SD card and connect cameras.

The delay is important, by the way. It allows the DVR to finish saving the video clips that are being recorded when you turn off the bike, before turning off the DVR. Otherwise those last 2 clips get corrupted and will not be playable.

2) No idea why that would happen. The phone charger should have no effect on the K2. If you cannot get the K2 to shut down automatically (with 10-second delay), you can manually turn it off by holding down the big silver button on the DVR. That will perform a "graceful" shutdown so that the last 2 video clips are saved properly.

3) does sound like defective hardware unfortunately. I would contact whoever you bought the system from, or Innovv directly. Innovv are active in their own forums at https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2

Hope this helps.

The magenta hue are 1 of 2 things.
1: A loose connector at the camera housing end or in the DVR itself, most likely in the camera end. ( this could be the wires them self and their connectors, but also inside the camera housing where the wires attach to the camera PCB )
2: A sensor about to fail completely

The K2 should have capasitors inside to finialize recordings properly, but it probably also have a little RTC battery to remember the clock,,,,,, though that should get verified as soon as the GPS get a fix

The magenta hue are 1 of 2 things.
1: A loose connector at the camera housing end or in the DVR itself, most likely in the camera end. ( this could be the wires them self and their connectors, but also inside the camera housing where the wires attach to the camera PCB )
2: A sensor about to fail completely

The K2 should have capasitors inside to finialize recordings properly, but it probably also have a little RTC battery to remember the clock,,,,,, though that should get verified as soon as the GPS get a fix
Agree, the weird colors/flickering video do sound like a loose connection. Not something I've personally experienced with the K2 though.

What GPS fix do you mean?

Most cameras set or at least verify the time / date upon GPS fix ( accounting for your time zone selection )
This is good if your RCT battery have died and the camera revert to a older default time / date, cuz doing that on every start throw a major spanner in the order of files on the memory card.
But if you use 3 minute files, it is normal to have a GPS fix before the first file are finished, and so your time/date should be okay by then even if your RCT battery are dead.

Imagine your memory card are full, and your RTC battery die today, and your camera then revert to a default time/date say April 1 2016, when your first file then are ready it will be named according to the wrong time/date of your system,,,,,, and it will be the oldest file on the memory card, so even if that 1 file get saved, when the next one are ready to be saved with the same parameters + 3 minutes file length, then there are just 1 file to delete the oldest one / and thats the one you just recorded 3 minute ago.
So then you have a system that constantly record 1 file and then delete it to make room for the next file.

On the other hand as a dashcam maker having your cameras default to a time/date in the future, will create a mess too if the system loose time and start to default to that time/date and use that to name files.
Not least if the system then get a GPS fix, and set the time, then your card are filling up with future files, and the correct named ones will constantly be the oldest one, so even if your system just create one such future file on each boot before the GPS correct the time, then if you do not keep a eye on things, the card will be full one day but of future dated files in which case any new correct named ( time /date ) file will always be the oldest file.

Unfortunately, I don't think the K2 pays any attention to GPS time. When you connect to the K2 in the phone app, the K2 will automatically grab the phone's clock.

This is "normally" OK, but not ideal. It would be better if the user could choose "automatic" sync (phone's time), GPS time, or a manual UTC offset. Make "phone time" the default for simplicity's sake, perhaps.

There was one fellow on the K2 forums who had a problem with this. He was traveling across Asia, and would have preferred the K2 to use GMT/UTC for the whole trip, since he was constantly crossing time zones. He was frequently out of cellular coverage, so it was anybody's guess whether the phone's clock was aligned with local time. It would have been a lot easier to organize video after the trip, if all of it had been on UTC.

As a workaround, one can set one's phone to not get its time from the cell network, manually put it on the desired timezone (such as GMT/Zulu time), then connect to the K2 via app. The K2 will set its clock to the desired UTC offset.

However, this fix is fragile. The next time you connect the app, the K2 will grab phone time. If you've put your phone back on network time, then the K2 is back on "local" time as determined by your phone, not the UTC offset you wanted.

We asked Innovv to add user-selectable UTC offset to the phone app, but were told it would "Make the app too complicated," which is nonsense. UTC offset, and daylight savings time adjustment, are features present in my Viofo A129 Duo's app, and probably most other dashcam apps.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure that my Viofo A129 pays any attention to GPS for time. After a firmware upgrade or factory reset, the clock defaults to some date and time in the past (1/1/2018 I think). I haven't watched it to see whether it eventually syncs with GPS time. But it does not automatically sync with phone time when you connect the app, and I actually prefer it that way.

It would be great if the K2 would display timezone as part of the on-screen time stamp. It would help keep things straight if you've gone on a cross-country trip, for example.

In the order asked:

1) The 10-second delay is handled by the power converter (aka "cube"). Not a feature of the digitial video recorder (DVR), which is that black box with the colorful LEDs, where you put the SD card and connect cameras.

The delay is important, by the way. It allows the DVR to finish saving the video clips that are being recorded when you turn off the bike, before turning off the DVR. Otherwise those last 2 clips get corrupted and will not be playable.

2) No idea why that would happen. The phone charger should have no effect on the K2. If you cannot get the K2 to shut down automatically (with 10-second delay), you can manually turn it off by holding down the big silver button on the DVR. That will perform a "graceful" shutdown so that the last 2 video clips are saved properly.

3) does sound like defective hardware unfortunately. I would contact whoever you bought the system from, or Innovv directly. Innovv are active in their own forums at https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I observed that, the DVR starts fine. However when I go ride for like 10 minutes, as I check the files it doesn't record anything. It only shows that Purple thing on the preview of some few record files then the files stored is not updated to the most recent recording. Somehow it seems hanging up.

It does sound like there is something wrong with your DVR, and/or cameras.

All I can suggest is what I wrote above - see if your vendor will replace the cameras, or try contacting Innovv directly.

I already posted on their forums, hoping that they could return to my inquiry. Looking forward for possible repair or replacement.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Hello,

Just an update I tried powering the camera using the Micro USB port. It works fine there though it only record like a few clips then it returns on standby mode.

I think there is wrong with my wires being set up.

You do want to only have one power source at a time.

I accidentally discovered that I still had the power cube connected, AND USB power. Whoops.

No apparent ill effects though. I suppose the DVR "decides" which power source to accept, or draws on both somehow.

You do want to only have one power source at a time.

I accidentally discovered that I still had the power cube connected, AND USB power. Whoops.

No apparent ill effects though. I suppose the DVR "decides" which power source to accept, or draws on both somehow.

Hello. I am using one power source at a time.

For now I have corrected my electrical inputs but it still produced the purple flickers.

INNOVV already replied to me and they said I can send back the unit in China for repairs.

Ugh, that will take quite a while but I guess it's all you can do. Sorry!

Yeah probably a month or two. Too bad also there is no INNOVV dealaership in my country. Only a motorcycle shop who just imported 3 sets.

They mentioned that my lenses are probably faulty. It is a well made product so to speak. They offered repair and if it fails then a replacement of the product. Now I have to look for the receipt.

It does seem like a camera fault, since you're only getting the off-color/flickery video in one camera right?

Back