Innovv K5, 4K camera

Biker

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Innovv has released K5, a dual camera system, 4K front camera and 1080p rear camera ($458:).

As for so many earlier Innovv product the specifications looks promising.
However, based on my experience from reviews and contacts with the company over the years I respectfully advice prospective buyers to wait for professional reviews prior to buying the K5.

Looking forward for reviews of this unit!

Looking forward to some videos for comparison.

That price point is painful, but as a long-time K2 user I see welcome improvements:

--external mic. Much more useful than having it built into DVR. You can put it somewhere it will pick up useful sound.

--remote control/status lights unit. Good move. On a lot of bikes you were basically forced to stick the K2 DVR under the seat. Great for protecting the DVR, really annoying for access. Now one can put the Big Silver Button in a convenient location, and see what the system is up to without fooling with a phone or removing the seat.

--integrating DVR into front cam, much easier SD card access this way.

--It looks like they're using the existing power converter from the K2. Good, no reason to mess with that, there were too many problems with some earlier designs shutting themselves off.

Is it possible they moved the DVR guts to the front cam to help with heat management? Presumably the camera will be mounted where it gets plenty of free air, which would help carry away heat.

We should have stock arriving in 2 weeks. Pre-order launched today for USA

Last edited:
A fellow on the Innovv forums was sent a review unit & has posted comments, plus made actual video available via Dropbox.

Unfortunately I can't actually view the K5's 4k video in all its glory. The best display I have is 2k (2560x1440) so I can only watch the video downscaled or zoomed-in.

The K5 also uses a new industry leading 5hz GPS.
This means GPS MPH/KPH updates will be much faster which is especially helpful on the race track etc. (5 updates per second instead of 1)

Finger licking good :)

@DesertBike if you have a 4K TV you could also playback on that, either stream from Dropbox i assume or DL footage to a USB drive and play it from there.

I've been driving the K5 on my BMW K1600GT for a few months now.
This BMW is also equipped with the K2
I have to say that the K5 clearly exceeds the K2 in terms of image quality.

No, I don't own any 4k anything. Oh well.

I would be interested to see any difference in nighttime performance vs the K2. I would expect the front camera to suffer since its image sensor is seemingly the same size as previous, but the pixels are now physically smaller.

Also any difference between the two recording codecs. My phone will do H.265 (HEVC) but both my dashcams are limited to H.264 (AVC). Supposedly HEVC gives you better image quality at a given recording bitrate, so seems the natural choice, but using AVC can help compatibility. For example my Roku is old enough that it can't handle HEVC. It's occasionally a problem when I want to view newer media.

Here some videos that I made with the K5 under different circumstances.
Innovv K5 front camera with cloudy and gray weather.
Innovv K5 front camera with night scene.
Innovv K5 front camera with varying light conditions.
They are the original unedited 4K recordings.
Pay attention! Youtube wants to compress videos. So this can affect the video resolution shown.
Thanks, are you able to share the raw video files that haven't been uploaded to youtube yet? (to avoid the compression)
That's the only way to properly show original unedited 4K recordings.
I have a dropbox upload link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/xWff3Plbf8BahtmPcZ0y
(or feel free to use what ever file service you have already)

Last edited:
Yeah just saying, people often forget their TV have full media playback features too, but it is also not a option for me as i dont even own a TV now, threw it out about a year ago.

I'm rather behind the times in that respect. My HDTV is a non-"smart" 1080 model, so I use a Roku 3 for streaming. But it is so old it can't handle H.265 video. The TV can't handle AC3 audio, has to be MP3 or other older format.

Together, they're quite a pair.

Unintended benefit: I learned how to use ffmpeg to re-encode things on my PC. However, re-encoding audio is a much simpler thing than video.

If I got a K5, I suppose I'd have to buy some kind of 4k-capable hardware.

My TV i got rid off was also not smart, not invented in 2008 when i got it ( as my first ever TV ) but its build in player actually supported a range of formats, even ones often associated with pirate stuff.
No H.265 of course.
Some are now using TV as a combi TV and PC monitor + console if thats how you play, after TV hit the ability to do 120 Hz and variable refresh rate that have been a option, and not forgetting low latency for the input.
A option i am contemplating a little myself as i would like to upgrade to a monitor larger than the 1080p one i have, and also larger than the 27" it is, it would be no problem to move the computer table 1 M further from the wall and then put the TV on the wall ( one of the larger computer tables i have ) also as i am alone, well my whole apartment are more or less my man cave to do with as i please.
Only problem, the graphics card in my computer, well it can do 4K video just fine, but if i wanted to do gaming in 4K i would have to stay clear of the high graphics settings in the game settings.
1440p my computer can do very well, should be able to do 120 Hz and 120 FPS using high visual fidelity game settings

Fortunately 4K monitors or TV can be had fairly cheap nowadays, at least as long as you dont look at the very latest models, back in the day i paid 1000 USD for my TV and thats still about as much as i would pay for something like that.
But you can get something usable for a good deal less than that, i have also been looking at 1440p monitors with 240 Hz refresh rate, even if i dont really need that as i do not play computer games anymore,,,, i want to but no one make the kind of old fashioned games i like to play.

If I got a K5, I suppose I'd have to buy some kind of 4k-capable hardware.
No, FHD was specified because that is how much detail a normal person can see, 4K only looks better if you look at the screen "too" closely.

To see all the detail from a 4K camera you really need a player that can zoom in, and that is true even if you have a 4K monitor, although then you do have the option of physically zooming in.

Also remember that the number of red pixels on a 1080 monitor is identical to the number of red sensors on a 4K image sensor, same for the blue, only the green has more pixels on the 4K sensor than the FHD monitor.

Check the detailed and in-depth review for INNOVV K5 by webbikeworld from https://www.webbikeworld.com/innovv-k5-camera-system/.
"The the INNOVV K5 (Dash Cam) or new “Action Cam” as it should really be labelled, is a great new product and very much ups the ante regarding a dual-channel high-resolution powersports oriented ‘action cam’ product. With a 4K capable front and 1080P rear camera, eight resolution combinations and a long list of valuable features that all work as advertised (with more to come), the ruggedized waterproof K5 system has proven itself to this user and is worthy of a close look by anyone considering a dual channel system for their motorcycle. A highly recommended product."-webbikeworld

pictures taken at a speed of 86 km.jpg

1f60e.png
Check the photos taken by INNOVV K5's front and rear camera during road trip.
INNOVV K5 dash cam features a remote control and users could easily take photos by simply pressing the funtion button without eyes off road or hands off handlebar.

Attachments

• pictures taken at a speed of 86 km-2.jpg
    pictures taken at a speed of 86 km-2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 9
That picture look very much like Denmark, except for the missing roadside markers every 50 M

That picture look very much like Denmark, except for the missing roadside markers every 50 M
Not Denmark, but the north of the Netherlands.
Province of Drenthe. I took these pictures at this location https://goo.gl/maps/97zj5WkoXbHcPMnz7
Wonderfully quiet roads, it looks like Denmark.
I went on holiday to Denmark with the motorcycle in 2019. I loved it!

Back