Innovv K5, 4K camera

I think Denmark compared to the Netherlands are not as flat, though it would not take much to match or surpass the tallest "mountain" up here :)

I think Denmark compared to the Netherlands are not as flat, though it would not take much to match or surpass the tallest "mountain" up here :)
I was in Denmark for a week in August. Had rain almost every day. Only seen some sun in the last few days.
Hotel was in Taulov and made tours in all directions from here. Among others to Silkeborg, Nymindegab and Nyborg.
And yes, I also climbed Danish mountains with the bike ;-)
What struck me is that the Danes are very polite and relaxed driving.
I definitely want to come back with the bike, but with the sun!

Yeah, its not a too bad drive from down there, so just keep a eye on the 2 week forecast for Denmark and be ready to commit when it look good.
Denmark for sure is best in the summer.
The driving being relaxed and polite, that is probably due to you having been in more rural places, your experience i think will be different if you go to Aarhus or god forbid our capitol Copenhagen.

But yes, it is not on every drive of mine i experience something i would want to add to my youtube channel, even if i almost drive every day though most days are short trips around my home town of Randers.

I am trying to decide between a K2 or a K5, I would like to have the improvements added to the K5 but I have two concerns about it:

1. with the integration of the front camera and the DVR, the microSD card is actually now housed inside the front camera, in the event of a bad front crash, the front camera (microSD card included) may be lost. The K2 was better in this regard as the DVR with the microSD card could be mounted inside the bike.

2. the size and shape of the new front camera makes it a bit hard to install, I have been looking around the front of my bike and still trying to think of a suitable place for it.

has any faced these problems?

I think the memory card are safe, it is under a waterproof lid, screwed in place as i recall, so it cant just eject, you will have to loose the whole camera then, and aside for its mount it is also secured by all the wires coming off it.
Yeah this new form factor i think will add some challenges, and we could probably also use pictures of it next to something we can relate to for size, it have happened many times that people have completely misunderstood camera size judging on seller / factory pictures of the product.

Thank you for providing the K5 raw video clip. I do edit my motorcycle footage and am looking to upgrade my system to the INNOV K5. The 4K 30 FPS is roughly 3 times larger file size (kb-wise) than my current 1920/108 at 30 FPS. An hour of the 4K would be roughly 14.1 GB. A road trip of say, 8 hours, would then be over a tenth of a terabyte. If the INNOV K5 is recording front and rear camera that would be pushing a quarter of a terabyte per 8 hour trip. Of course, this is recording of actual riding time and not trip time from departure to arrival. You would need 2 128 GB SD cards for the above recording. I hope I did this math correct :). The above is manageable all be it expensive for multiple day trips. I did process the clip you provided in Lightworks 2021 and did some zoom-ins. I was not all that impressed--perhaps my expectations skewed the initial viewing.

Update;
-If rear camera is at 1080 30 FPS, the file size totals should be revised downward.
-The image quality may be due to dirty lens or more likely my lack of 4K compatible hardware.
-The audio in the clips sounded nice...perfect, the motorbike purring along with a couple wind gust dusting the mic.

INNOV K5 questions:
-How does INNOV manage the captured clips? Are the file names a date-time stamp with respective camera tags (F front/R rear)
-How comfortable do you feel riding in the rain with respect to the K5 dvr inners staying dry?
-Is there any K5 footage at speeds upwards of 80 mph (or 100 kph)?

Last edited:
Okay, I went ahead and processed old 2018 clips from my Vgsion dual cam system and the K5 clip provided from this site. All files will have a MediaInfo sheet so you can review the stats. The split screen edited clips used the same export settings because my editor is not set to export 4k yet...new updated version schedule for this Wednesday. But I can clearly see a big difference in the 1080 vs 4K exported with the same 1080P H264 settings...the bit rate is different however. I have the samples up on DropBox. It's been awhile since I used DropBox and I'm sure the link below will fail for one reason or another, however, if you bear with me, and send me some detail, I will double back on that shared/public URL and try and get the folders/files accessible to you.

The edited clips have split screens with the 1080 (old system) at a "Z" of 4.58 and the K5 clip at -2 "Z" so that you can see in relative terms the quality difference of the 4K. It is significant. I know from experience that the 1080 zooms do not reveal much more information but in the 4K, even with no ancillary 4K support, you can make out parts of the bike in front of the camera.

DropBox Action Camera Samples With MediaInfo Stats (Expired)

Good luck.

Last edited:
USA Stock just arrived this week. We have shipped all pre-orders and will ship all new orders same day as of now.

INNOV K5 questions:
-How does INNOV manage the captured clips? Are the file names a date-time stamp with respective camera tags (F front/R rear)
-How comfortable do you feel riding in the rain with respect to the K5 dvr inners staying dry?
-Is there any K5 footage at speeds upwards of 80 mph (or 100 kph)?
I'll need to test one on the bench to get that info
The K5 has a sealed gasket and is more waterproof than the K2. (so should be no problem at all)
Not yet waiting for more samples to arrive as people install these over the next weeks and months.

Looking forward to some videos for comparison.

That price point is painful, but as a long-time K2 user I see welcome improvements:

--external mic. Much more useful than having it built into DVR. You can put it somewhere it will pick up useful sound.

--remote control/status lights unit. Good move. On a lot of bikes you were basically forced to stick the K2 DVR under the seat. Great for protecting the DVR, really annoying for access. Now one can put the Big Silver Button in a convenient location, and see what the system is up to without fooling with a phone or removing the seat.

--integrating DVR into front cam, much easier SD card access this way.

--It looks like they're using the existing power converter from the K2. Good, no reason to mess with that, there were too many problems with some earlier designs shutting themselves off.

Is it possible they moved the DVR guts to the front cam to help with heat management? Presumably the camera will be mounted where it gets plenty of free air, which would help carry away heat.
Here is mine installed. First ride :

Attachments

• K5.jpg
    K5.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 10
Looking forward to some videos for comparison.

That price point is painful, but as a long-time K2 user I see welcome improvements:

--external mic. Much more useful than having it built into DVR. You can put it somewhere it will pick up useful sound.

--remote control/status lights unit. Good move. On a lot of bikes you were basically forced to stick the K2 DVR under the seat. Great for protecting the DVR, really annoying for access. Now one can put the Big Silver Button in a convenient location, and see what the system is up to without fooling with a phone or removing the seat.

--integrating DVR into front cam, much easier SD card access this way.

--It looks like they're using the existing power converter from the K2. Good, no reason to mess with that, there were too many problems with some earlier designs shutting themselves off.

Is it possible they moved the DVR guts to the front cam to help with heat management? Presumably the camera will be mounted where it gets plenty of free air, which would help carry away heat.
I have the K5 off the bike and running it through some paces--from working with the TS/MP4 format selection, WiFi downloads to iPhone then uploads to OneDrive, importing clips into Lightworks video editor, that sort of stuff. The DVR does get hot. I will take its temp to see just how hot it is...sitting on a bench. There are some setting fields still with Chinese language and I would like to clear that up because I have no idea with the function does. So far so good.

I like the K5 on your BMW. It looks like it was designed to sit there. Nice job!

3/16/21 Fact Update:
I've spent some time getting to know the K5 and its INNOVV app. Much of my initial troubles were due to my ignorance (trying to fix something that was not broken). There are some things with the INNOVV that through me off track but the INNOVV K5 forum pull me through the tough spots. (Reading the user guide many times helped as well.) I think the WiFi technology is able on the K5 up to a certain point. I did all my testing from home, in the same room--PC, WAN/LAN, K5, and iPhone. I think the road would not be as accommodating. The one issue I had with my time during the up/downloads had to do with a phone setting that I believe I could change but did not change. If the phone can be set to allow the INNOVV app to download to the iPhone album in the background, then there is very little time involved for the rider. Once the MP4 (must be MP4 format for iPhone) files are downloaded to the iPhone, they are automatically uploaded to iCloud Photo. Also, with the iPhone/iCloud is the matter of storage space and I have not deleted any of the downloads to the iPhone Photo album. I'm guessing that once they are deleted from the phone they are deleted from the iCloud. This would limit your video collection to whatever your phone could store until you download from the iCloud to your PC. Okay, so there are some hoops to jump through, especially for large uploads, but I did it. Below is a look at some of the "hoops":
WorkLoadStats.xlsx - Excel 3_16_2021 1_35_02 PM (2).png
More than likely I will be swapping out 512GB TF/SD cards. The K5 does get warm and you need to access the TF/SD card so placement on the bike is important. And that is my next step...installing the K5.

Last edited:
I have the K5 off the bike and running it through some paces--from working with the TS/MP4 format selection, WiFi downloads to iPhone then uploads to OneDrive, importing clips into Lightworks video editor, that sort of stuff. The DVR does get hot. I will take its temp to see just how hot it is...sitting on a bench. There are some setting fields still with Chinese language and I would like to clear that up because I have no idea with the function does. So far so good.

I like the K5 on your BMW. It looks like it was designed to sit there. Nice job!
I confirmed with the factory the Chinese language showing up is a bug and will be addressed in an app update coming very soon (asap)

I do not agree with the guy saying if you want to store more you can use a lower bitrate, thats a bit NO - NO in my book, bitrate should always be maximum and if you need to store more footage you need to get a bigger memory card.

Haven't watched. No 4k equipment. Agreed though, never drop the bitrate. Storage is cheap.

What's the largest card the K5 can take? I'd be tempted to slap a 1TB card in there. Capacities continue to increase but not prices.

If someone doesn't have or want 4K resolution from the K5, the new K3 is the way to go. (K3 will replace the K2 in 2021)

512GB supported, haven't tested 1TB yet.

From the K5 Product Overview "INNOVV K5 could support up to 512GB TF card..." V30, U3, A2. I'm using a San Disk 512 Extreme Pro (~$115.00).

They are releasing a K3? I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I have no interest in 4k.

They are releasing a K3? I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I have no interest in 4k.
Basically they added the remote control/status monitoring thingy from the K5, as well as the external microphone.

Worthwhile improvements, but I'm not going to replace my K2 with a K3.

Like you, I have no interest in 4k. 2k (2560x1440) is as high as I care to go. 1080 with higher framerate might be useful.

I'd like to see a 1080, or even better 2k, system that records at 48 or 60 fps, with a default bitrate of at least 20 Mbit/s (with option to lower bitrate for smaller files). More frames per second should capture more detail. Yes, the files would be larger, but SD storage is always getting bigger and cheaper.

Unfortunately, no dashcam manufacturer seems interested in providing something like this. All the 1080 systems will only do 30 fps. The K5 will do 1080p, 60 fps, but only on the front camera.

I'm still hesitant to buy an Innovv after the disaster of my K1 but they seem to have improved the build quality. A good bitrate 1080p would definitely be the way to go.

Back