Insta 360 One R

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
Seem to be a nice solution for the person wanting to carry a smaller camera on his / her adventures, and with the modular approach you have a wide range of options to get your footage in.

If anyone have some connections i would kill someone to be able to beat on one ;)

Yeah your own personal up close drone, that will never take your head off.

They also have a kit where you split up the two 360 cameras and put it above and below a DJI drone, and so cam fly around with invisible drone.

I wonder what they could do if the wanted to do a dashcam, seem like they have a strong technical crew to stitch things together.
Also wonder what "heart" they have in the cameras, it sure cant be AMBA or the likes.

Yeah, they have a few interesting features, already and i assume more coming.
I like you can tell the camera to track a thing in a 360 format, and then it will keep that dead center in your regular flat output format.

1" sensor 19 mpix and 5.7 mpix output so some binning must go on there, and Leica lens module also seem nice, but it is 600 USD ( not in Denmark ) so that make it the stuff of drams for me unless my lotto ticket finally come thru for me tonight.

Yeah, they have a few interesting features, already and i assume more coming.
I like you can tell the camera to track a thing in a 360 format, and then it will keep that dead center in your regular flat output format.
I think a lot of their strengths are in the software

Yep, making me think it must be something like a phone SOC or something they can work with VS the locked in stuff of AMBA and so on.

The good thing for me as a dashcam addict is, that they cam make a "camera" with a 1" sensor that small, that give me high hopes for future dashcams.
Just hope they hit the market before the man say i am too old to drive a car :D

The good thing for me as a dashcam addict is, that they cam make a "camera" with a 1" sensor that small, that give me high hopes for future dashcams.
Just hope they hit the market before the man say i am too old to drive a car :D

The Sony RXO was the first ultra compact camera to use a one inch sensor. The Insta360 seems like it might be potentially more versatile assuming it's well built. The Sony is built like a tank though. It is the only action camera built on a machined aluminum chassis similar to how a DSLR is made. They new RXO II - 4K is kind of interesting but like the Insta360 it's expensive - $700 USD.

Personally, if a manufacturer introduced a high quality 1 inch sensor dash cam built on a machined or cast aluminum chassis (like a CCTV camera) that would be rock solid in extreme heat or cold I would be more than happy to pay a premium price.

sonyrxo.jpg

price is certainly a factor, heat tolerance is not something I'm sure is sorted, suitable lenses for dashcam use is currently a problem, dashcam is maybe one of the few usage cases where a camera is typically used anywhere within a 100°C temperature range, it's a harsh environment

yeah just on looks the Sony RXO is a winner for sure, and i would also expect more from a dashcam in that price range than a PCB in a plastic housing and a piece of ALU for a heat sink.
And really if you go into the price range of 500 USD for a single camera, it bloody well be one hell of a camera.

Okay a plastic housing might well be fine, but i think it will make the sell harder at that price range, even if there are no alternatives.

price is certainly a factor, heat tolerance is not something I'm sure is sorted, suitable lenses for dashcam use is currently a problem, dashcam is maybe one of the few usage cases where a camera is typically used anywhere within a 100°C temperature range, it's a harsh environment

That's where the aluminum chassis comes in. With CCTV cameras that run 24/7 and can sit baking in the sun all day and are hermetically sealed with no ventilation, the chassis keeps the focus solid and dissipates heat from the components (pcb, etc) which are usually mounted on a thick aluminum heat sink which is part of the chassis. Today's CCTV cameras use basically the same DSPs as dash cams only configured differently.

Yeah.
The action cameras get almighty hot too, and can also do thermal shut downs on a hot summer day, but a dashcam are supposed to just sit there on the windscreen in the sun and just go on for hour upon hour.

Some times the makers also shoot over the target, the new motherboards / chip sets for the new Ryzen processors, all have the annoying little fan on it again, but modders already found out that with just a fairly decent ALU profile you don't really need active cooling on those boards.
And i still with dread remember the old days with high pitched coolers on the chipset, hell my athlon 700 MHZ cpu have 2 of those fans on the slot A processor.

One of my CCTV cams has been running 24/7 for ten years now without a hiccup. During much of the year it is exposed to the hot sun for a good part of the day.

I've got the Insta360 one X and their software is pretty good (both phone app and the desktop one).
They have been updating both together with the firmware too quite regularly (for 360 camera software is a must for stitching and handling the 2 lenses).

That's why I am rather confident, after being a bit skeptic, on this new camera which is coming with an impressive software package with new features.
1" sensor, stabilized 5.3k is a first for action camera.
Impressive.

On their page it do say you need a powerful phone to take advantage of all the features, so i assume a lot of work are still in the software.
And i am okay with that i have a 855 snapdragon phone, so i have plenty of pocket epeen power. :cool:

yeah just on looks the Sony RXO is a winner for sure, and i would also expect more from a dashcam in that price range than a PCB in a plastic housing and a piece of ALU for a heat sink.
And really if you go into the price range of 500 USD for a single camera, it bloody well be one hell of a camera.

Okay a plastic housing might well be fine, but i think it will make the sell harder at that price range, even if there are no alternatives.

Sony RX0 is not really an action camera

It's a very specialized tool, not really usable (IMHO) for the casual user, just for pro's

All these 1" have a pretty high aperture lenses (F 3.2/F 4.0)

Indeed i think it lack some things people expect in a action camera today, like stabilization.

I saw some new quadcopters have a variable aperture, and it made me wonder if we will see that in action cameras and maybe even dashcams.

Seem to be a nice solution for the person wanting to carry a smaller camera on his / her adventures, and with the modular approach you have a wide range of options to get your footage in.

If anyone have some connections i would kill someone to be able to beat on one ;)

Amazing camera guys!

Loooks really cool. My first impressions one the called "The revolution Action Camera":

- Different modules (4K, 360, Leica 1inch, VR, Dron....) :love:
- Waterproof 5m every module :love:
- Battery Extension module (soon available)
- Front and Back Touch Screen, just rotating the module....(y)

Maybe the only kickback is the price, quite high by the moment. Have some pictures on my review of Insta360 ONE R in case you wanna check them, because I am not allowed yet to upload pictures in the forum.

Thanks, and hope to see your comments about the main features of this coool camera!

Back