Installation in Skoda Fabia

an1uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U3000
Currently installing the A129 duo on a Skoda Fabia Mk 1 (similar to VW Polo 9N) as my first dash cam. I've just done the difficult bit of feeding the cable through the rubber grommet to the tailgate, and now trying to decide the best location.

I figure in the centre of the vehicle is probably best. But here it's less discreet and would annoy me when I look out the rear view.

IMG_20190711_111226.jpg

Another possibility is mounted to the trim in the centre, but would increase visibility of heater lines, and probably introduce extraneous movement to video.

IMG_20190711_111343.jpg

I think this location is probably best as it's a bit more discreet and fixed directly to the glass. Given I'm in a country that drives on the left, I figure the best position is offside. A little extra mounting tape to the left could help prevent it pointing with the curve of the rear screen.

IMG_20190711_111151.jpg

Last edited:
Just make sure that it is looking through glass that is covered by both wipers and heater, otherwise it won't see anything in the winter!

Given that, the heater lines are unavoidable, so it is actually best to be close to them so that a big central part of the image is not affected, an out of focus heater line through the sky isn't really an issue, if one goes across a number plate then it may be.

Closer to, and pointing slightly towards the centre of the road is probably a slight advantage, the rear camera doesn't make for great movies anyway, there is always something like a wiper spoiling the view. The closer to the centre of the road the less motion blur on overtaking number plates, however you don't want it too near the side since the FOV will then include a lot of your car rather than view.

I fitted a A119 to the centre top of my hatchback door. There was just enough painted metal to stick the mount without impeding anything. The cam is almost parallel to the roof lining with the lens at the most bottom position. It is barely visible from outside and in the rear view mirror. The cam is stably mounted and the cable is fixed by cable clip along the same metal door edge to the side and loops before it disappears into the roof lining to allow opening and shutting of the door. It's capture area is in the rear wiper area but I do have 1 heater element black blurred bar across the top of the footage but does not stop you seeing anything might need.
A sample of the footage can be seen here at the top right as viewing;

Thanks. I went for the last option just to the right of the centre brake light. Barely visible in my rear view mirror at my height.

Deciding the position of the front wasn't as easy as I thought. It seemed there was only 2 options. Directly behind passenger side of the rear view mirror, or as shown just to the left of passenger side mirror and up towards the top of the screen. Any other position would interfere with adjusting the mirror, or prevent removal of the dash cam if necessary.

Just need to hard wire and get some test footage going.

20190711_172340 (002).jpg

Last edited:
Try to position the rear dashcam lens in between the rear defroster wires.

Back