Installation of an F750 in an Audi S5 sportback

Dippy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My S5 has lane assist, high beam assist and homelink so the 'bits' around the rear-view mirror will be different for cars which don't have these.

Tools needed
1) A driver with a T20 bit
2) Socket set
3) A trim removal kit
4) Cable-pulling kit

Additional items purchased
1) 2 'add-a-circuit' piggy-back fuse adaptors - standard size
2) 2 standard size fuses (I used 3A but I could have used smaller ones)
3) Extension cables with right-angle connectors for 'neater' cabling

Mounting the cameras
I decided to do this first thinking that it would be easiest to run the cables knowing how much slack is needed at the camera ends. I wanted to mount the main unit at the very top of the windscreen so that as little cabling is visible as possible. However if this is to the left of the rear-view mirror then the lens would be positioned quite off-centre and so some of the offside of the road is not visible in the videos. Similarly in parking mode there is an imbalance in what can be seen to the right. Since the objective of having a dashcam is to capture incidents, I decided that positioning the camera on the left was not a good idea (for me). To the right of the rear-view mirror was better in this respect, however I had the problem that the cover over the lane assist module was visible in the video unless I moved the dashcam further to the right until I started to get the same problem as it being on the left!

So in the end I decided that again, since the purpose of a dashcam is to capture incidents I should position the lens as close to the horizontal centre of the windscreen as possible and with an unobstructed view. Since my main beam assist has a camera at the end of the pod behind the rear-view mirror, and there is the photosensor behind the left-hand side of the rear-view mirror, my only option was to place the dashcam behind the right-hand side of the rear-view mirror. This has turned out to be a pretty good compromise. The downside is that the F750 is wider than that space so part of it is visible. However I have already got used to it being there and am starting to be able to ignore it whilst driving.

The rear camera was mounted at the very top of the rear window in the tailgate, right in the middle. Originally I thought that I would need to completely remove the tailgate trim to run the cable and the camera might be in the way when removing it. However then I found that the trim was very difficult to remove so I realised that I did not need to (see later) and could mount the rear camera first.

Removing trim
First I removed the lighting panel above the front console. This has a single screw which is revealed by opening the sunglasses holder. Then by gently pulling down the front end whilst levering on each side with a trim tool, the panel popped out. Then I removed the trapezoidal shaped plastic cover over the lane assist module. It came off easily by gently pressing the nearest end down and levering each side away from the windscreen with a trim tool.

Next I had to choose which side of the car the power connection will be made. I don't think it matters but I chose the passenger side (UK nearside). Then I removed the trim over the A-pillar on that side. With a trim tool I levered up the tiny plastic cover which is embossed with the word "AIRBAG". This revealed a screw which needed to be removed. Then I had to remove the trim, and this was not so easy. The spring clips are along its centre so it had to be firmly pulled outwards until they released. I pulled at the very top and used larger trim tools to gently but firmly prise the edges of the trim until it moved. Although I understand that it is possible to completely remove this trim it was not necessary. I just freed all the clips and left the trim fixed at the dashboard end. This left enough room to run the power cable.

Then I opened the panel to the fuses. There are 3 spring clips and again I used a trim tool is useful so that they could each be released without bending the panel too much.

I opened the tailgate and released the two rubber cable grommets on the nearside. These were fairly easy to prize out of their respective holes.

After trying in vain to release the lower trim of the tailgate (which has to be done before the upper trim can be released) I realised that I really didn't need to. Instead I realised that I just had to release the 'corner' of the upper trim by using trim tools to gently but firmly prize it up. This trim did not have to be released far, just enough so that it was possible to see that the spring clip had come out of its slot.

Running the cables
First I ran the power cable. Since there was just a small plug on the dashcam end but a sizeable fuseholder on the 'hardwire' end it was clear that I should run it starting from the fuse panel area. I used a cable-pulling tool from the top of the A-pillar and pushed it down until I could see the end in the fuse panel area then I hooked the power plug to the end and pulled it up. Next I inserted the tool into the hole created in the headlining by the removal of the lighting panel until the end protruded at the top of the A-pillar and again hooked the power plug and pulled the cable through.

With the rear camera cable in a coil on the passenger seat I joined one end of it with the power cable plug and pushed both via the large hole in the headlining and over the top of the thin piece of headlining at the top of the windscreen where I could then pull them out. Then it was a matter of running them over the lane assist module and tucking them over the top of the small piece of plastic trim which is between the lane assist module cover and the high beam assist module cover.

Now was the hardest part of running the cables. I inserted a cable-pulling tool into the hole exposed by releasing the lower cable grommet near the tailgate hinge. There is a small 'bulkhead' area and then another hole in the metalwork so I used a pen-light to see it. The tool then slid above the headlining, between it and the metal of the car roof. The fit was 'snug' so there was some, but not too much resistance. I pushed the tool (extending as required) until the end appeared at the front hole. I only once had resistance so pulled the tool back a bit, twisted it a few times (this moves the end slightly) and pushed again. This time it popped out above the hole.

With this tool the other end of the rear camera cable could be pulled to the rear. Key to this operation was securing the cable to the end of the tool in such a way as to avoid a snag. A photo shows my method. I used string and then a small plastic zip-lock bag and finally wrapped it with insulation tape. In hindsight I should have done better because pulling the cable was perhaps a bit 'tighter' than I wanted and the cover I had made came loose before it reached the rear of the car. So I should have used a smaller plastic bag and wrapped the tape tighter.

With the cable end through the hole, I pulled enough cable through to reach the rear camera, plus a bit more to be sure. Next I ran the cable through the rubber conduit which joins the two grommets. This was tight but I managed it by squeezing the rubber and pushing the cable. Once the plug was through I carefully pulled more cable through - the rubber conduit obviously resisted this somewhat.

The plug now needed to be inserted through the upper hole (in the tailgate itself). The idea was to thread it through the small gap in the corner of the rear window created by partly releasing the tailgate trim. I used a stiff piece of wire (from an offcut of electrical cable) pushed from the window side until it appeared through the hole in the tailgate. Then I simply coiled the end of this wire around the camera cable and pulled it through.

Connecting the cables
The hard work was connecting the other end of the power cable at the fuse panel. On the passenger side fuse panel there was a large unpainted nut which I unscrewed enough to allow the ground wire to be secured. Then I used the piggy-back fuse adaptors to connect the power wires. There were pink plastic covers over the fuse carriers and these had to be removed. The one over carrier A could only be removed after sliding the whole fuse panel down slightly (it is only secured by clips). I chose fuse 7 (light switch) on carrier B for my battery wire and fuse 7 (diagnostic) on carrier A for my accessory wire. The dashcam then powered up and worked as expected.

Tidying cables and replacing trim
Since there is an airbag on the A-pillar I used stick-on cable clips to secure the power cable wire to the pillar so that it was clear of the airbag. I left most of the slack in the cable tied up below the fuse panel but left a little bit of slack in the headlining in case I wanted to make some adjustments.

On the tailgate I easily tucked the rear camera cable behind the trim using only light leverage with a trim tool. I removed the slack so that I could replace the upper grommet into its hole. This left a bit of cable exposed but there is quite a lot of space in the other hole and I was able to thread it inside and replace the other grommet. Then I pushed the tailgate trim down again.

There was quite a lot of rear camera cable still hanging down in the car but there is plenty of space above the headlining to store it. So I coiled it up and put the coil in a large zip-lock bag and then stuffed this bag in the headlining area above the passenger seat. Finally I ensured that the cables to the front camera were tidy and replaced all the trim.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG

Problems
What I didn't like about the F750 is that whereas the power plug has a right-angled connector the rear camera cable does not, so the cable sticks out straight and is very obvious. I wanted to neaten up my installation by using adaptors or extension cables with right-angled plugs, but this proved far from straightforward. Actually getting adaptors or extension cables with plugs angled in the correct direction was hugely difficult. And when I did get some I found that they wouldn't work at the front camera if they didn't have the ID (pin 4) connected (it is a micro-USB cable). In the end I decided to make my own extension cable at the front. This works but I still had to adjust the routing slightly to ensure that it does not interfere with the dashcam's GPS reception.

The other issue I had was DAB interference. Now it was due to reports of such interference from the rear camera cable of Blackvue dashcams that prompted me to research and install the Thinkware dashcam. Initially there was no DAB interference but this changed when I tried to use extension cables. After lots of testing I came to the conclusion that whilst the Thinkware system seems to be able to work without interfering with DAB, this is only if the cabling to the rear camera is not modified too much. I have got away with using an extension cable with a right-angled plug at the front, but when I also used one at the rear the DAB reception would get blocked. So I have had to accept that the cable at the rear camera is more visible by not using an extension cable (it is no longer as tidy as in the photo) so that the DAB reception is mostly good (it still drops out in my garage when the tailgate is open).

11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG

Update
I'm going to reposition the rear camera as its not a centralised as I would like. I have bought some black 3M sticky pad so that it looks better, especially since the rear window is tinted. Although the pad for the front camera is white I really am not bothered about it so I'm not going to change it.

Whilst I'm moving the rear camera I'm going to try using one of the extension cables with right-angled USB plug again. I already put a ferrite core on the cable where it sits behind the tailgate hinge, although I did not loop the cable. However I have a second ferrite and didn't think of putting it on the other end so I'll have a go at that, especially since I did find that the routing of the camera cable can interfere with GPS reception at the front. I should be able to tuck the ferrite inside the space covered by the lane assist module cover. I very much doubt that this will make DAB reception OK and likely I'll have to do without the right-angled plug extension cable at the rear but it's worth a go.

Well that wasn't easy. As expected the sticky pad was reluctant to release so I spend some time using a craft knife to carefully ease it away from the glass. Then I had to do a bit of cutting and shaping to get a new pad onto the camera base. Finally putting the camera back positioned to give a more balanced view was very frustrating, I think mainly because with the wide angle lens it just makes the whole picture feel like it is not properly level. Anyway its done and the view is better than it was and now the pad is black making it look much better from the outside.

I fitted the additional ferrite at the front, with a loop in the cable, and then also looped the cable through the ferrite at the rear. Then I tried my 50cm extension cable with right angled plug at the rear camera. However it still cause the DAB to disappear. This was whilst in my garage so the DAB signal is weaker, but I didn't bother road testing it as I have decided that I don't want to use the extension cable if it risks the DAB dropping out in low signal reception areas. As soon as I went back to the straight plug of the Thinkware cable at the rear camera the DAB came back so the difference is significant.

So my final conclusion, which I hope will be useful to readers who are thinking of installing an F750 with rear camera and want to use right angled plugs is to pay careful attention to DAB reception and test before final installation. Use of a right angled plug extension cable or adaptor at the front camera seems to be quite feasible as long as care is taken with the cable routing so as not to interfere with GPS reception, however doing so at the rear seems to significantly risk interfering with DAB reception.

Well that wasn't easy. As expected the sticky pad was reluctant to release so I spend some time using a craft knife to carefully ease it away from the glass. Then I had to do a bit of cutting and shaping to get a new pad onto the camera base. Finally putting the camera back positioned to give a more balanced view was very frustrating, I think mainly because with the wide angle lens it just makes the whole picture feel like it is not properly level. Anyway its done and the view is better than it was and now the pad is black making it look much better from the outside.

I fitted the additional ferrite at the front, with a loop in the cable, and then also looped the cable through the ferrite at the rear. Then I tried my 50cm extension cable with right angled plug at the rear camera. However it still cause the DAB to disappear. This was whilst in my garage so the DAB signal is weaker, but I didn't bother road testing it as I have decided that I don't want to use the extension cable if it risks the DAB dropping out in low signal reception areas. As soon as I went back to the straight plug of the Thinkware cable at the rear camera the DAB came back so the difference is significant.

So my final conclusion, which I hope will be useful to readers who are thinking of installing an F750 with rear camera and want to use right angled plugs is to pay careful attention to DAB reception and test before final installation. Use of a right angled plug extension cable or adaptor at the front camera seems to be quite feasible as long as care is taken with the cable routing so as not to interfere with GPS reception, however doing so at the rear seems to significantly risk interfering with DAB reception.

We do not have S5 hatchbacks here in Canada. Maybe in future. Interesting posts. These are pics from my 2016 Audi A6 3 litre install. The witting under the "A" pillars was aided by the dealership due to a premature windshield replacement. Some silver linings I guess.

IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1355.JPG IMG_1362.JPG

I will post more pics later. Server appears to have a limit.

Last edited:
Interesting pictures - I placed my 750 on the passenger side up top rather than behind the mirror which like you also has a whole load of sensors in.
I am looking at getting a 770 next week so I might put this in the same position as the both of you and try it out. What I like about mine is its completely out of the way and you cannot see it from outside at all. What I don't like is that I put it too far up which means everytime I want to remove the SD card, I do need to slide it it out of it's holder

Back