Installation question. Direct wire to "rear view mirror power"?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I have an Infiniti M37. I was reading on the Infiniti car forum about someone that wired their radar detector directly to the rear view mirror power. Under the mirror cover there is a 12V (always hot), a 12V (hot with Key On) and a Ground wire.

If I can wire the Dash cam the same way, this would save a lot of work and look cleaner - if it can be done.

I have not purchased a Dash Cam yet. I see some of the model are 12V and some are 5V. It also looks like some models get power through a USB connection (is this correct)?

If I buy a Dash Cam that has a 12v feed (rather than the 5v models) would I be able to wire it directly to the mirror power supply? Ideally it would have a 3-wire pigtail (12V, 12V key-On, Grd.) and not some type of cable with a large choke, or something that could not be cut to about 10 inches long.

OP
CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
Thanks for the link Pier28.
I was assuming that I would not need a USB converter if the Dash Cam is 12V powered. Is it common for the power to these Cams to be through a USB connector (not counting the 5V powered Cameras)?
Maybe I should just buy a Cam then worry about the best way to connect it.

It looks like you are a Dealer. Can you give me your recommendation or favorite for a "very reliable" Dash Cam that is "high heat tolerant"?
I'll check out your website.
Thanks

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
Correct that converter is only for 5V systems. I saw it on Reddit awhile ago so thought I'd share.

All our customers use Vico-Power Plus or PANOBP to hard wire.