Installation question. Direct wire to "rear view mirror power"?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I have an Infiniti M37. I was reading on the Infiniti car forum about someone that wired their radar detector directly to the rear view mirror power. Under the mirror cover there is a 12V (always hot), a 12V (hot with Key On) and a Ground wire.

If I can wire the Dash cam the same way, this would save a lot of work and look cleaner - if it can be done.

I have not purchased a Dash Cam yet. I see some of the model are 12V and some are 5V. It also looks like some models get power through a USB connection (is this correct)?

If I buy a Dash Cam that has a 12v feed (rather than the 5v models) would I be able to wire it directly to the mirror power supply? Ideally it would have a 3-wire pigtail (12V, 12V key-On, Grd.) and not some type of cable with a large choke, or something that could not be cut to about 10 inches long.

Thanks for the link Pier28.
I was assuming that I would not need a USB converter if the Dash Cam is 12V powered. Is it common for the power to these Cams to be through a USB connector (not counting the 5V powered Cameras)?
Maybe I should just buy a Cam then worry about the best way to connect it.

It looks like you are a Dealer. Can you give me your recommendation or favorite for a "very reliable" Dash Cam that is "high heat tolerant"?
I'll check out your website.
Thanks

Correct that converter is only for 5V systems. I saw it on Reddit awhile ago so thought I'd share.

All our customers use Vico-Power Plus or PANOBP to hard wire.

Back