Installing camera mount on the black dot matrix?

dalemccl

Reaction score
Country
United States
My car has a matrix of black dots on the windshield in the area behind the rear view mirror. It is on the inside surface of the windshield. I can feel the texture if I touch that area.

If I install the camera mount on that matrix, will the texture of the dots interfere with getting it securely adhered to the windshield? Also will it be difficult to remove the mount in the future without damaging the dots?

I have seen a youtube video (by Hinko, if I recall correctly) showing the mount being easily removed from the dot area, but I am not sure if maybe some cars have the dots embedded between layers of the glass rather than on the inside surface, and perhaps the one in the video has them embedded.

By the way, anyone know what the purpose of that dot matrix is? The only thing I can think of is maybe to block the sun when the drivers is looking at the rear-view mirror.

Mine has been installed in that area from the beginning with no problems adhering, or removing when I wanted to place my GC somewhere else in that area. Welcome to the forum @dalemccl

The only thing I can think of is maybe to block the sun when the drivers is looking at the rear-view mirror.

Correct.

How to remove bracket:

Thanks, that is the video I was referring to. So the dots on that car were on the inside surface of the window? (Maybe all cars have them on the inside surface --- just thought maybe some have them sandwiched between layers of glass, so the inside of the glass is smooth.

Back