Installing Dashcams, what tools or parts required?

dbizzle22

Reaction score
Country
United States
I plan on hard wiring dash cams for all of my immediate family soon. I know they all come with the cigarette adapters for power but I want to convert it to a hard wired setup that's out of view.

I've used the below items before but hoping that there might be some updated items to ease installs?

12v to 5v cigarette adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00065L2D8
I cut the alligator clip ends off the above and mated it to an add-a-circuit/add-a-fuse type fuse to plug into the fuse panel of my car:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0002BGELQ
That then plugs into the included cigarette power adapter and goes around the headliner to the dashcam.

Is there anything newer or more reliable that I can use for installs?

Also, how many different types of fuses have you all come across? The last car I installed on, a Lexus RX430, had a tiny tiny fuse panel that used a mini or micro type fuse. I'd hate to come across another surprise and have to special order parts. So hoping you guys can assist with my stocking up on parts?

There are total 4 different type / size of fuses depending on a car make / model / country.
What dashcam model are you trying to hardwire ?

Fuse types.jpg

There are total 4 different type / size of fuses depending on a car make / model / country.
What dashcam model are you trying to hardwire ?

All the cars will be US models. Do you happen to have the names or sizes of the possible blade type fuses? So far I've found: low-profile mini, mini, regular and max. So I think if I stock up on a bunch of add-a-circuits in each of those, I should be OK?

The models will vary. Street Guardian SG9665GC, SG9665GM, A118/B40 and a Mini0805/0806. I think they can all be hard wired the same way correct?

Overall hardwiring is similar on all dashcams you mentioned.

about fuses:

A-type is not widely used. I know new Mondeo uses it.
B-type: US, Korean, Japan, China cars
C-type: Japan, Korean cars
D-type: on most cars.

Best if you go trough all cars you plan to install, pull out fuses you want hardwire to, and check what type they are by comparing to my picture. Make a list with notes. This way you know what to look for.

Overall hardwiring is similar on all dashcams you mentioned.

about fuses:

A-type is not widely used. I know new Mondeo uses it.
B-type: US, Korean, Japan, China cars
C-type: Japan, Korean cars
D-type: on most cars.

Best if you go trough all cars you plan to install, pull out fuses you want hardwire to, and check what type they are by comparing to my picture. Make a list with notes. This way you know what to look for.

Appreciate it Niko! Yeah, I'll probably just have to play it by ear and buy the parts as necessary. B, C and D look familiar from the few installs I've done so far in my career.

I was just looking around on Amazon and came across this little device. Any experience with using these for hard wiring? Seems like a cleaner install without the risk of the cigarette adapter coming out of the socket. Less bulky too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00LE9LL36

For hardwire via fuse box you dont need to add a cigarette lighter socket. Will be enough to buy a 12 to 5V hardwire and those add-a-circuit cables.
For Street Gaurdian you can buy a specially certified 12v to 5v hardwire set which you can also use with all other dashcams that has miniusb port.
There are loads of 12 to 5v hardwire adaptors out there, but you never know what quality you buying if its from unknown re-seller or un-know brand. They might work OK, but you never know when your car ( God forbids ) can run into troubles.
For Mini 08xx series buy a 12 to 5V hardwire adapter only from reputable re-sellers who usually also sourcing out a high quality accessories.

Back