Installing in a 2017 Acura RDX using Power Magic Pro and fuse taps

Dean cain

Reaction score
Country
United States
So like the title says, I'm installing this dashcam in a 2017 Acura RDX, using the Power Magic Pro and fuse taps.

I've used the power seat fuse as my source of constant power. I'm fairly certain this circuit remains love even after the car is shut off, as I locked myself in the car for a few minutes until most circuits shut off (internal lights, power locks) and I could still move the seats around.

Still, after awhile, the camera shuts down, rather than go into parking mode. I've verified several times that I didn't mix up the wires. The camera works just fine when the vehicle is running. The switch on my power magic pro is in the On position, and set for 12V.

I haven't played around with the settings in the camera too much so far. Maybe it is by default set to shut down?

Can anyone guess what my problem might be?

So like the title says, I'm installing this dashcam in a 2017 Acura RDX, using the Power Magic Pro and fuse taps.

I've used the power seat fuse as my source of constant power. I'm fairly certain this circuit remains love even after the car is shut off, as I locked myself in the car for a few minutes until most circuits shut off (internal lights, power locks) and I could still move the seats around.

Still, after awhile, the camera shuts down, rather than go into parking mode. I've verified several times that I didn't mix up the wires. The camera works just fine when the vehicle is running. The switch on my power magic pro is in the On position, and set for 12V.

I haven't played around with the settings in the camera too much so far. Maybe it is by default set to shut down?

Can anyone guess what my problem might be?

If your wiring is correct, then the most probable cause is the circuit not staying live after a preset time. Locate a fuse that's permanently live.

Also check the settings on the camera to verify that parking mode is turned on.

How do you turn on parking Mode? If it says it in the instruction manual, I haven't seen it. Is there a guide?

Hi Dean

My live connection in my Nissan is to the emergency lights (4-way flashers). You'll have to use a meter to find your "always live fuse".

John

It's working now. I don't know exactly what I did to fix it, but now it's working exactly like it's supposed to. Maybe turning it off and on a few times shook something loose?

Either way, thanks for the help, all!

I am having trouble with this same installation. 2017 Acura RDX with the Power Magic Pro.

My issue is that the Power Magic Pro is always on. It does not matter if I have it switched on or off, the green light stays on and power goes to the dashcam. I have it set for 12.5v cutoff and infinity time. I thought I had it wired properly until I left the car parked for a week and the dashcam drained the battery to the point where I had to jump the car.

I have the yellow BATT(+) wire connected to the fuse for AS P/SEAT (REC). I presume that is not an issue since the unit is getting constant power.

I have tried the red ACC(+) wire on a number of fuses with the same constant power result. The one in the photo below is CTR ACC SOCKET, but I have also tried MOON ROOF, and FR ACC SOCKET.

Any suggestion on which fuse to try? Also, can I connect one wire to a 20A and another to a 10A? I have avoided bridging the two fuse types but let me know if that is a non issue.

Thank you
IMG_20170505_204319.jpg
IMG_20170505_204304.jpg

ACC wire is probably connected to constant power so the PMP thinks the car is always on. Use a test light or a multimeter and check which circuits don't have power with the key off and on.

More importantly use fuse taps, you might be wrapping the wire on the hot leg of the fuse which defeats it.

Get a professional to install it if its too much for you. You don't want your brand new car burning down.

I strongly advise you to use add-a-fuse connections. 2A fuses will be enough for your camera side, then you can connect to any value fuse, once you find the correct locations.

I wonder if fuse #12 is an always on ACC. It looks like there is also another ACC socket #27 that could be switched ?? As Flip noted above though it is important to know which side of the fuse you are tapping into. If... you attach to the wrong side you are bypassing the fuse... any "oops" or short in that wire will lead to an instant melt down of that circuit. You will need a multi meter to determine which side is hot.. Connect to the cold side.. really important!!

Also.. are you connecting as the wires are labeled? Seems the manufacturer changed the colors which has led to a lot of confusion about which wire goes where..

Roughest installation I have ever seen Best way to burn your car down and when you take the wires out later you will have spread the clip loosening the fuses which could then heat up and also cause a fire.

Only way is to meter out the hot side of the fuses and see which ones turn off with the key Some are time related and dont turn off for a set time.

Where is your earth wire grounded??

Use these to connect your PMP addafuse correct.jpg

Back