insurance policy

sie wise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I get a dash cam fitted will it possibly reduce my insurance policy

If I get a dash cam fitted will it possibly reduce my insurance policy

it depends on your region and carrier. a year ago when I was shopping around, I couldn't find a carrier that would give me a discount for my cam equipped cars. I'm sure it has a lot to do with not having a standard for them or just ignorance of their existence in the consumer world.

I've come to think of them as a relatively inexpensive, "personal" insurance. if I have to deal with an actual claim, video proof will hopefully make it easier to rule in my favor (if I'm not the one who screwed up).

I've come to think of them as a relatively inexpensive, "personal" insurance. if I have to deal with an actual claim, video proof will hopefully make it easier to rule in my favor
I have been shopping around for new insurance as well and I know we are quite far apart but all of the companies I asked said this as well.
It is for my personal protection and nothing more.

Thank you for the advice - and yes you are right they are very cheap a cam is worth having regardless of insurance discounts

however CERTAIN insurance companies are recognising the benefits of having dash cams fitted and discounts are already being offered to drivers who install and utilize their cameras regularly.

I am going to see what happens when my insurance is up for renewal once my new dash cam is fitted and i inform them

Many insurers don't seem to acknowledge dashcams at the moment - the insurance for our cars was bought online from major UK companies and there was nothing on the application to mention having a dashcam.
Those companies that offer discounts might be more expensive to start with, or may be more obscure, possibly those with a more 'personal' touch.
However, we have got into the habit of moving insurers to get the best deal, but still be insured by a large and reputable company.

Regardless of whether a dashcam saves money on insurance, it can give an unbiased view of what happened and reduce the chance that you get apportioned some of the blame for an accident, especially if nobody stops as a witness.
If I've been on a long journey and had one or two near misses or interesting events, when I get home and mention the bizarre event to my wife I find that what I perceived to be happening at the time isn't 100% correct when I look at the video.

Anyway.....to keep you interested, here was a near-miss captured by one of our cams at lunchtime today, and would have been very useful as evidence if there had been a collision :D :

Whilst a few UK insurers are offering discounts, IME, they are way, way more expensive anyway - even after deducting their discount.
Some points to consider...
If they offer you a discount then, basically, they 'own' the footage. How will it look if, after a prang where the other guy claims you were all over the place, you cannot provide footage because your cam doesn't work? Mighty suspicious.
Also, I imagine the discount offered might be subject to conditions - "I've got a dashcam" 'ok, what make is it & how much is it worth?' "not sure of the make, it cost me £10 off ebay" 'you ARE having a laugh?'
Alternatively "I've got the very latest supercam 6000, it cost me £500 & it comes with gps, cpr, dvd, mp4, bbc, uht & ttfn" 'oooh, that sounds impressive, we could offer you a good discount however, the high cost of this unit would make your car a very attractive target for thieves'

Go for whatever insurance you would normally. When it comes to 'extras' or 'mods' declare your dashcam. My current insurer allows up to 3 mods without affecting the premium... "I have a dashcam" -'ok, what's the value?' "about £50" 'ok, that's no problem'.

In the event of a claim, providing footage is at my discretion.
In fact, in EVERY prang I've had, I've not only provided extended footage (showing events leading up to the event) but I have also taken stills from google earth AND google streetview.If streetview is a bit out of date, it's also worth driving the route at a quieter time, go a bit slower to make sure the cam picks up every detail - road signs, markings etc

trouble with insurance discounts is..

most savvy people use online quotes and you get your quote, pay and there is no facility to get a discount for your dashcams.. the following year the renewal is far more expensive even if you manage to negotiate a discount for dashcams and it pays to just dump your details online again and make a bigger saving with a different company...

The best way to save on insurance is grow old, don't have any "accidents" or convictions ;)

trouble with insurance discounts is..

most savvy people use online quotes and you get your quote, pay and there is no facility to get a discount for your dashcams.. the following year the renewal is far more expensive even if you manage to negotiate a discount for dashcams and it pays to just dump your details online again and make a bigger saving with a different company...

The best way to save on insurance is grow old, don't have any "accidents" or convictions ;)
I would dearly love to know when that 'sweet spot' is. I always thought my premiums would drop once I hit 25 - but no.
Only ever had one prang in my car, totally the other guy's fault - as proven by dashcam footage - yet my premiums still went up for the next few years!
I have since learned that you need to take out legal cover & use it to sue the other driver for uninsured losses.
Now, forgive my ignorance, but how on earth can my premiums increase when I was not at fault? seems the answer is "you made a claim". A non-fault claim is still a claim. You made them do some work on your behalf.
But isn't that covered by fully comp insurance?
?
?
You made them get off their fat backsides and actually do some work.
Even though that 'work' was picking up a phone to the other company and telling them how I have submitted footage proving their guy was 100% to blame.
That's hardly 'work'.
Also, "fully comprehensive" insurance - surely that covers for all eventualities, including future premium increases due to other drivers' stupidity?
Apparently not - so why use the term "fully comp"?
Also, why "fully" comp? Surely 'comprehensive' is an all-encompassing word?

Timing your renewal is important...

best time is a month ish before its due as if you leave it closer to the date they stiff you and don't discount as much for your business..

my insurance has been cheaper for the last five years and am sub £210 each on an expensive motorhome and normal car..

I ve yet to hear of anyone successfully getting an actual real discount on dashcams as I ring after I ve arranged my insurance on line and they always say next year :confused::D

....... am sub £210 each on an expensive motorhome and normal car........

We were able to insure my wife's little commuter/shopping trolley/town runabout car for £160-something with Aviva (dashcam was not a question/option on the application).

When I've done the quote online, I tend to ring up, speak to a human being & haggle to shave a few quid off the price. I then mention my dashcam as an addition.

We were able to insure my wife's little commuter/shopping trolley/town runabout car for £160-something with Aviva (dashcam was not a question/option on the application).

Is that considered a good deal there?

Is that considered a good deal there?

I would say a fairly good deal.
If it's £100-£200 (per year) that's about as good as it gets. Newly-qualified young drivers pay ten to fifteen times that because the risk for any company to insure them is so high.

OHHH. Per year. That IS a good deal.

OHHH. Per year. That IS a good deal.

I only added the 'per year' clarification as an afterthought because most people pay most things monthly nowadays. Monthly often adds a bit to the total cost compared to paying all at once. So £100-£200 per year lump sum payment would probably cost £10-£20 per month.

Here in the US a policy is for every 6 months and you have the option to pay it all or monthly. Paying it all at once for me was only a savings of $1-2 a month.

I can buy 6 or 12 month policies in SC USA, usually not much difference in total cost. Financing adds considerably to the cost so I pay for a full policy every 6 months.

Another stupid SC law for you to go WTF? over: If you ask any agent or company about car insurance rates they will tell you nothing until they get your name, address, and current insurance company name. Then by law they must inform your current company that you inquired even if you don't change. Sometimes your current company will offer a discount to renew if you ask around first, which simply means they are overcharging anybody who doesn't ask around like that :mad: My independent agent represents several companies so he pops in a request to another company to get me that discount every time I renew. Nice folks there, been doing business with them for many decades because nobody beats their rates :cool:

Phil

Back