Interference with FM radio

Darren2331

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to here, hope someone can help or advise. I have a Peugeot 207 61 plate.

I have recently hardwired my dash cam 0801 eprance into my internal fuse box (within the glove box) using the piggyback system. I am getting quite a bit of interference on the FM radio. The interference is not present when I use the standard cigarette lighter connection so the camera is okay. I could not find an earth spot near the fuse box so have managed connect the neutral/earth wire to a bolt in the footwell using a ring crimp.

I fear this could be acting as an antenna. Does any one know where the earth point is as I cannot see it.

New to here, hope someone can help or advise. I have a Peugeot 207 61 plate.

I have recently hardwired my dash cam 0801 eprance into my internal fuse box (within the glove box) using the piggyback system. I am getting quite a bit of interference on the FM radio. The interference is not present when I use the standard cigarette lighter connection so the camera is okay. I could not find an earth spot near the fuse box so have managed connect the neutral/earth wire to a bolt in the footwell using a ring crimp.

I fear this could be acting as an antenna. Does any one know where the earth point is as I cannot see it.
Without knowing a bit more its difficult to be accurate, but here's some idea's/suggestions:
  • Do you use the same PSU for each method
    its not uncommon for PSU's to put out noise, the more load the greater the noise
  • Does the cabling follow the same route
    Maybe you're routing your cable near to the radio antenna cable/amp
  • Are you sure you're using a good solid earth
    Not all these bolts are good earth points, with the camera operating try measuring the voltage between the ring terminal to a known good point such as the battery
I had a similar issue with my car connecting a rear camera. Mine has one of these fin type antennas on the roof, but this is not for the FM signal which is printed on the rear screen. This is connected to an amplifier mounted on the C post behind the trim & when I temporarily routed the cable along the screen side of this trim it ran across the fm cable. Simply rerouting the camera cable a few inches away from this cured the issue.

Back