Intermittent GPS-signal on freeway

jeez123

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR650S-2CH
The other day i drove 1½ hour on the E45 and i noticed that the GPS-signal was missing partially and coming on randomly.

As the wather was good i couldn't figure out what caused this behaviour. I tried different speeds and noted that as long as i drove above 100km/h the GPS would shutoff and lose its lock.

Coming down below 80km/h the GPS went back on for a while and then lose the signal again.

The clip below shows the GPS-signal coming back on at the parkinglot in Krusaa, DK. But please note the speed on the freeway is zero'd until 50sec later..

It happened the same day i did a format of the sdcard.

I drove home a couple of hours later, where the GPS was OK all the way home on freeway. No problems..

Have anyone noticed this behaviour before?

The GPS design isn't all that great. Unlike normal GPSes, you can't see the satellite lock information to see how strong a signal it's seeing. But you're basically hampered by the fact the antenna is inside your car, your windshield may be coated (as many are these days) in a way that inhibits RF penetration, and a less-than-stellar antenna design internally.
I see what you're seeing all the time. It's annoying, but not critical. And it's worse when you lose lock while moving, because GPSes in general have difficulty re-acquiring lock if the antenna is moving.

I think your observation about formatting the card is just a coincidence.

Brad.

Thanks for the response, Brad. I do not mind the missing GPS (in terms of speed-readings) but they are however nice to have at the freeway, due to any incidents that might occur during the drive, in case of insurance claims.

However, i guess the most part of the video would be enough to show (and calculate) the speed of my car (and other cars), in case it should be nessesary to file any claim, some day.

I'll be ignoring this onwards, then. :)

I drive 40 minutes to and from work. One night last week with clear skies on an open freeway my blue GPS light was off more than it was on. It cycled at least 5 times that I noticed. Very frustrating! Having said that, most of the time on that same freeway the GPS is solid. The only intermittent GPS I usually notice is closer to home due to obstructions. I'm not sure why it so bad that one time.:confused:

I drive 40 minutes to and from work. One night last week with clear skies on an open freeway my blue GPS light was off more than it was on. It cycled at least 5 times that I noticed. Very frustrating! Having said that, most of the time on that same freeway the GPS is solid. The only intermittent GPS I usually notice is closer to home due to obstructions. I'm not sure why it so bad that one time.:confused:
At leat i'm not the only one with this wierd GPS-issue.

It seems that we both suffer from "clear sky - no GPS"-issue. ;-)
Weird thing is my GPS-lock usually is pretty good, but that one day, the GPS just went haywire..

My DR650S (1 Ch) does this as well on both freeways I use on my work commute. Even when with clear skies, I'll get random GPS LOS and it's almost never in the same places and not all the time. It's not a big issue in my case or at least it hasn't been so far.

This is getting annoying.(n) Now I am paying more attention to the little blue light and have noticed more intermittent GPS lately. Running around town yesterday it cycled quite a few times. On my 40 minute drive to work last night (clear night, open freeway again) my GPS cycled at least 3 times but was on maybe a total of 8 minutes.:mad:

I'm unsure if the loss of GPS has something to do with heat or it's simply just loss of the GPS-signal from the sky..

Well, i'm learning to ignore this. I did see the missing GPS some times last week but not everyday however.

It will have to lose the GPS position all the time, ANNOY! I've been in connection with the manufacturer. They told me to upgrade the device but it did not help!
SHI.. DEVICE!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M DR650S 7
Back