Intermittent rear camera

Variman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have issues with the rear camera? I updated to the latest firmware per Viofo's suggestion and that worked for a while. A few days ago I checked the display and the rear camera was not working again. I unpluged the rear camera and plugged it back in and it began to work again. I emailed Viofo but have not heard back yet. I am worried that the rear camera will not be working if I need it for evidence.

I am experiencing the same problem. My rear camera often is not detected and I'd have to reconnect the connections. Not sure if this is a firmware issue, or hardware. Please let us know what Viofo says.

They told me to download new firmware yet again.

I guess I will have to say " Hold on road rage guy while I reboot or reflash my camera"

Watching this...... before I spend the money for one. The A129 Pro I had was awful, so I sold it while it still had some value.
Hope you figure this out.

Same issue here -- coupled with the main unit becoming unresponsive whenever the rear camera is connected.

Glad I bought this on Amazon

You destroyed the video cable or the rear camera connector. There is no bug in any firmware which can produce rear camera disconnecting from time to time.

Same issue here -- coupled with the main unit becoming unresponsive whenever the rear camera is connected.

Glad I bought this on Amazon
Usually caused by either a bad cable, rear camera or poor power. Have you been in contact with the seller so they can help you troubleshoot?

You destroyed the video cable or the rear camera connector. There is no bug in any firmware which can produce rear camera disconnecting from time to time.
Impossible to destroy a rear cable that hasn't even been run through the interior. It's either poor qc on the cable or a hardware issue.

Reactions: EGS
I also have this issues. The rear camera is randomly stopped recording. The only way to make it work again is by reconnecting the cable to the rear camera. How to make sure it is the cable that is faulty and not the firmware?

My rear camera worked for several weeks and yesterday it stopped working again. I purchased directly from Viofo. I am going to try the second firmware update.

So Viofo sent me a new rear camera and a new cable. I gently ran the new cable and installed the rear camera. I still have the same issue where the rear camera sometimes does not work. Hopefully Viofo will send a new front camera as this is the only part that has not been changed out. I purchased the cameras directly from Viofo when it was first released. Perhaps the early models had issues?

So Viofo sent me a new rear camera and a new cable. I gently ran the new cable and installed the rear camera. I still have the same issue where the rear camera sometimes does not work. Hopefully Viofo will send a new front camera as this is the only part that has not been changed out. I purchased the cameras directly from Viofo when it was first released. Perhaps the early models had issues?
How are you powering it? Have you tried running the setup inside with a USB wall charger?

How are you powering it? Have you tried running the setup inside with a USB wall charger?
I am powering the rear camera from the front camera's "rear" USB port. The front camera is powered by my car's 12 volt socket. The problem is intermittent so powering the setup by an AC wall charger may not help diagnose the issue. I will take a close up picture of the "rear" USB connector and send back to Viofo along with updating the firmware yet again. I am thinking this is an issue with the front camera's processing being that the rear camera and its cable have been changed along with a few successfully firmware

I am powering the rear camera from the front camera's "rear" USB port. The front camera is powered by my car's 12 volt socket. The problem is intermittent so powering the setup by an AC wall charger may not help diagnose the issue. I will take a close up picture of the "rear" USB connector and send back to Viofo along with updating the firmware yet again. I am thinking this is an issue with the front camera's processing being that the rear camera and its cable have been changed along with a few successfully firmware
Your using the included Viofo 12V car adapter and Viofo USB power cable? Aftermarket components can cause issues.

I have the Plus setup in my car and had an issue with the rear camera connecting and disconnecting recently (after almost a year of no issues). I re-seated the rear camera connections and pressed the hard reset button on the side of the camera and everything seems fine now. Not sure which really helped or if it was simply by chance that things are now OK, but it's worth trying those steps.

I am using the Viofo 12 volt car adapter and Viofo USB cables. I received a second rear cable from Viofo along with a second rear camera which did not solve the issue.

Every time I start the car I check the dashcam display to see if the rear camera is connecting. If the rear camera does not connect, I unplug it and reseat it to get it to work.

I do not see a hard reset but have flashed the firmware several times.

I am using a 256 GB high endurance card that I purchased directly from the manufacture. I format the card in the camera.

The front camera has worked flawlessly except for the connection to the rear camera.

I purchased the cameras when they first came out directly from Viofo. It is a non-eMMC model.

I have tried everything to avoid user error as I depend on this dashcam setup in case of a crash.

Last edited:
I am using the Viofo 12 volt car adapter and Viofo USB cables. I received a second rear cable from Viofo along with a second rear camera which did not solve the issue.

Every time I start the car I check the dashcam display to see if the rear camera is connecting. If the rear camera does not connect, I unplug it and reseat it to get it to work.

I do not see a hard reset but have flashed the firmware several times.

I am using a 256 GB high endurance card that I purchased directly from the manufacture. I format the card in the camera.

The front camera has worked flawlessly except for the connection to the rear camera.

I purchased the cameras when they first came out directly from Viofo. It is a non-eMMC model.

I have tried everything to avoid user error as I depend on this dashcam setup in case of a crash.
Hard reset button is on the side of the camera. Should be pressed for about 5 second after any firmware change.

Viofo sent me a new front camera and I am still having the same issue from time to time where the rear camera is not displaying on the LCD, reseating the cable cures the issue. To recap, the front & rear cameras have been changed, the cable to rear camera has been changed, firmware has been updated several times. I purchase the cameras directly from Viofo. I using a SanDisk 256 High Endurance card.

I suppose the next thing to try is a new 12 volt to USB plug or the front camera cable. I am currently using the Viofo suppled 12 volt adapter.

Last edited:
Viofo sent me a new front camera and I am still having the same issue from time to time where the rear camera is not displaying on the LCD, reseating the cable cures the issue. To recap, the front & rear cameras have been changed, the cable to rear camera has been changed, firmware has been updated several times. I purchase the cameras directly from Viofo. I using a SanDisk 256 High Endurance card.

I suppose the next thing to try is a new 12 volt to USB plug or the front camera cable. I am currently using the Viofo suppled 12 volt adapter.
We suggest you use the supplied car charger to directly power the main unit to have a test.

Did you find out in what kind of situation the rear camera does not record?

Last edited:
We suggest you use the supplied car charger to directly power the main unit to have a test.

Did you find out in what kind of situation the rear camera does not record? Are there any laws?
I am using the Viofo supplied car charger.

The rear camera does not display on the LCD intermittently and randomly. There are no laws against using dashcams in my area.

Back