Intermittent rear camera

did you replace the wire to the rear camera when Viofo sent you a new camera, or was it not a complete new camera, sound like everything but the damn wire have been changed.

Yes, I gently installed the new rear cable.

This is is either a power issue, SD card issue, or a design flaw with the A129+ Duo.

I will purchase a new 12 volt plug first. Anyone have any recommendations? Currently using the Viofo supplied adapter.

If that does not solve the issue, I will purchase a new high endurance card.

If that does not work, I may just buy a A119V3 or similar for the rear.

Last edited:
As for the issues I was having with mine (eMMC version), so far all is working fine for now after trying a few things such as loading the latest firmware suggested by VIOFO and using the embedded memory for about two weeks. Then recently I installed a new samsung pro endurance card I have ordered and so far no issues. I still won't declare it a solved issue since I have seen no issues for longer periods of time and then bam! There it goes again.
Don't know if in your case is worth trying a samsung card to rule out the possibility of a picky camera.

I forgot to mention that I replaced the power adapter as well.

Viofo.
I had a new one from one of the other cameras since I have exchanged them and leaving the old adapter installed.

You can use some USB charger, but you have to make sure they provide plenty of juice, the ones i use / have are 4 and 6 port, where the 4 port one are 2.1 A on all 4 VS the 6 port which claim 2.4 A on 2 of them and just 1 A on the remaining ports.
But as i recall i have never tried to run a 2 channel system on either of those +2 A ports.

you probably have to look for something that are able of spitting out 3 A, and many will probably claim that just fine, but not actually deliver, and thats a problem.
So all i can say is to look for good brand ones, and for feedback on their charge rate.

Too bad you dont live down the road, or i would have a few PSU you could try out

If purchasing a new ciggie-plug PS adapter, I always recommend buying a top level brand like Anker or Scosche. You also need a large (24ga) cable to carry the power well, and those should be all copper cables, not copper-clad aluminum (CCA) which degrades with time. 2.4A should be sufficient but a larger rating won't hurt.

Phil

O yes. I once fell in the too cheap and probably too long USB wire trap, cost me a recording of me getting rear ended, and as my vehicular accidents ( 2 of them and both rear endings ) have been spaced out with 30 years in between them i will probably never get the chance for a recording like that again.

I purchased an Anker Power Drive Speed + 2, 12 volt charger in late August. So far the rear camera has disconnected twice. While this is an improvement, I would like to fix this issue 100 percent of the time.

I read in another thread that Viofo may have updated the rear cable for this camera. Anyone how how to differentiate the old rear cable from the new rear cable? I am not sure if I was sent the revised rear cable around June of 2021.

Last edited:
The new rear cable is slimmer than the old version. There is no other big difference between them.

So my last thing to change is my memory card. If/when I encounter another issues I will purchase another high endurance card, directly from the manufacture, format it with SD formatter.
I also may change the USB cable to the front camera as that is the originally supplied VIOFO cable even though the front camera has always powered up. For now, I will do nothing but wait and see if the rear camera issues happens again with the new 12 volt power adapter.

Last edited:
I am having the same issues with my Viofo A129 Plus Duo. My rear camera malfunctioned, and will cause the front camera to beep and stop recording. Once I disconnect the rear cam, then the front cam continues recording as normal. I only had this dash cam unit for 5 months. I'm sending it back to seller for warranty replacement, but if it occurs again, then I'm replacing this with another dash cam.

Last edited:
I had a similar issues with my a129 pro some time ago, on the lcd it was showing both cameras but it was saying 4K30s instead of 4K+FHD and even though it gave the impression at first glance the rear cam was recording but upon checking the files it hasn't recorded.

Just curious....Is there a pattern where everyone seeing this issue is using a 12V adapter or are people experiencing the issue also using the hardwire kit? Wondering if the problem is a voltage issue / 12V adapter problem. Or an actual issue with the camera and/or rear cable design.

Last edited:
I am using the 12 volt adapter. I had the same issue with the Viofo adapter and a Anker adapter. My car is new so the 12 volt socket is in good shape.

I lost the connection with the rear camera again two days ago, so the issue continues for me.

I am using the 12 volt adapter. I had the same issue with the Viofo adapter and a Anker adapter. My car is new so the 12 volt socket is in good shape.

I lost the connection with the rear camera again two days ago, so the issue continues for me.

My suggestion is try to order the 3 wire hardwire kit and see if the issue persists when hardwiring. Hardwiring eliminates any potential voltage dropouts and is a consistent power source. This will rule out the 12V adapter as being the reason for failure. If hardwiring doesn't resolve the problem, then the issue is either:

1. Firmware Related
2. Rear Cable Flaw / Problem

Update:
So I received a new cable for the rear camera. The dash cam worked for a month, and then the same issue reoccurred (blinking red light and camera stops recording). After wiggling the cable plug that connects to the rear camera, it fixed the issue. I'm sending the rear camera back to the seller for replacement per warranty. They believe the rear camera is broken too.

So you broke the rear camera connector and asking to replace cables by warranty. And they are replacing them even the cables are goos. Good job!

@Variman the only part you didn't changed in almost one year of troubleshooting is the card. You had 2 cameras with the same problems but still using the same card.
Using another power sources will break your warranty so be careful what you do. Better to buy Viofo original parts, they are not expensive.

So you broke the rear camera connector and asking to replace cables by warranty. And they are replacing them even the cables are goos. Good job!

@Variman the only part you didn't changed in almost one year of troubleshooting is the card. You had 2 cameras with the same problems but still using the same card.
Using another power sources will break your warranty so be careful what you do. Better to buy Viofo original parts, they are not expensive.
Since changing to the Anker adapter the rear camera issue has only happened two or three times. Much less frequently so perhaps it is power related. That being said, my plan is to purchase a new card. Perhaps one day hardwire the camera power as well.

Back