Introducing QVIA Z970 Zoom!

Calgary Dash Camera - Robert

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukasdirect.com Street Guardian BulletHD Calgarydashcam.com
Coming Soon the QVIA (Lukas new "sister" company) Z970 Zoom.

Ok first, honestly I thought the idea of optical zoom on a dash cam was kind of dumb.
However after getting my hands on it last October in Hong Kong. I seen the potential.
No longer would you have to trade a higher viewing angle for quality.

Now I have yet to test this guy out in a actual vehicle, and actually feel how much potential value it has.
However this could properly be a real gem of a innovation.

http://shop.lukasdirect.com/lukas-store/dash-cams/z970

The biggest feature of the Z970 WD is the new applied 3x optical zoom. It is a worlds first, the bold design overcomes the limitations of traditional black box dash camera. Traditionally Dash Cameras have suffered from a static wide angle lens. The field of view has a wide view angle and is clear, but the distance is not clear. On the other hand, some dash cameras have a more narrow angle, which provides clear video at a much further distance. But the disadvantage is far narrower viewing angle. This is where the genius of the Z970 Zoom is truly great. The Z970 has ensured that regardless of the designed field of view, it always captures a clear image. By operating the zoom function automatically, the Z970 detects the speed of the vehicle impact or accidents caused by sharp save.

In addition the Z970 WD boasts a quality never seen before in the Dash Camera market. By applying the newly listed 'Sony Exmor R' sensor it can save the picture quality of Full-HD resolution, both front and rear, to condense light effectively captures the best images all day and night.

Meanwhile, this new product, features not only the optical zoom, and a new advanced image sensor. The Z970 also features the 'format free' technique. Storage Management is uncomfortable for most black box. All Dash Camera manufactures recommend to constant cycle format the memory card (once per week). This ensures a long and healthy life of the cameras memory card. However, with the Z970 WD this is no longer such a hassle. It is equipped with a format free feature unique to Qrontech. Using their own technology , it allows the the user to not need to think about managing their cameras memory, while increasing and ensuring long SD card life spand. .

The back of the Z970 has a beautiful and sharp Full 3.5-inch Touch LCD screen. Users can immediately see real-time and recorded video. As well the LCD provides an easy-to-read and intuitive UI to quickly and easily operate all features of the Black Box Dash Camera.

The Wi-Fi feature can be use to view, save and send video through a smart phone or tablet. Using the Lukas Eye application a use can also easily adjust the operating settings.

Attachments

• Lukas-QVIA-Z970-WD-Zoom-Frontside.jpg
    Lukas-QVIA-Z970-WD-Zoom-Frontside.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 26
I have had the Z970 for nearly a week now.
Been far to busy to write up a proper review. So all I am going to say is wow.
This camera really shocked me.
The zoom feature, is a lot more then just a better way to digitally zoom in.
The zoom is intuitive! The camera will zoom in and out depending on what your surroundings are. Ensuring you always have the best shot.

Take the below screen shot for example.
The top camera is the LK-9390 while the bottom one is the Z970
Notice how the Z970 has zoomed in further, and from the same distance the license plate is readable on the Z970 image compared to the image from the LK-9390.
It zoom automatically as vehicles pass you, in a intelligent way unseen before.

QVIA-Z970VS9390-1.jpg

Anyways I will have more details and sample footage soon.
Until then. Feel free to check out the Z970 our new 360 product gallery, where you can interact with the camera (unlike the below gif)
Visit this link to view;
http://lukasdirect.com/learn-explore/360/qvia-z970-360
Z970-360-3.gif

Thanks for posting more details Rob

FYI all Lukas products including the new QVIA Z970 will be listed on both LukasDirect and Pier28 sites as soon as our new advanced backend infrastructure is finished being linked. (Either order will be processed from the same new warehouse in Nevada)

I don't know about this... How long can this mechanical system work before it breaks.
The temperature swings and constant vibrations can't be good for this lens assembly.
I would like to see better quality (fixed focus) lens and higher resolution sensors.

It's obviously far to early to say if the mechanical system will fail. There are many none vehicle cameras with zoom lenses that do not fail. I do not believe this will be a issue. Moreover the reliability of Qrontech products are historically high.

Not sure if you realize that the Z970 also utilizes a improved Sony image sensor. The Sony Exmor R Sensor.

QVIA-Z970-Pre-Order.jpg

The Z970 is now in stock!
Pre Order Special still Available until April 25th 2016
http://shop.lukasdirect.com/lukas-store/qvia/z970

Last edited:
I think this zoom will be of great interest to storm chasers. I recently read an article where this was a feature they were after to compliment the wide angle ones.

Well i am sure extreme vibrations will be no good for the zoom mecanics, but i doubt most of the cars the users in here have will get to that level.
But if you like me strap your ( pocket camera ) to a 660 CCM Yamaha raptor quad and then let it rip, well then the camera will proberly fail soon.
After a fjew minutes of that kind of abuse my samsung pocket camera was no longer able to fold up the lens on its own, or for that matter fold it out when i powered up the camera.

I only saw these yesterday and i would love to play around with one of them for a while thats for sure.

Would be nice to have some raw footage to DL and review close.

i just got this camera and it is one of the coolest things ever. Just one question though. I ordered the CPL filter it came in its own packing. I need to know do i attach it the the lens that is already there or do I take that lens off and just use the CPL all the time?

Any guidance would be appreciated....

i just got this camera and it is one of the coolest things ever. Just one question though. I ordered the CPL filter it came in its own packing. I need to know do i attach it the the lens that is already there or do I take that lens off and just use the CPL all the time?

Any guidance would be appreciated....

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Z970!

Simply screw unscrew the pre attached UV lens filter, then screw on the CPL lens filter.

Sounds interesting. I noticed the OP mentioned picking it up in Hong Kong. I am in HK next week, is there a shop there you could point me to where I can this in the flesh?

once you have removed the UV filter and attached the CPL filter you can then attach the UV filter to the CPL filter hope that helps .....Ipol

Last edited:
I have just sold my Lukas 7900 and I'm interested in this dual system. I don't feel comfortable driving without a dashcam. I don't see many reviews about this model. There is one negative review on Amazon. My plan is to buy through Lukas direct. Any opinions out there before I place my order on memorial day.

@jsl262 I have been running the z970 for best part of a month now ....All seems to be working fine no hiccups ...My problem is the Lukas viewer the playback drops frames and is very jerky, the playback is smooth on VLC and windows media player I am using the Lukas 32gb card Hopefully I can check out the zoom feature in the coming week .....Ipol

Thanks. Sounds like a fixable software issue with the Lukas viewer. I'll wait to you test the zoom feature.

Does anyone know the video bitrate for the front and rear? Also, can you use the Wi-Fi feature to automatically upload daily footage onto a network share once in the home garage?

Back