Introduction to Drivewatch

Drivewatch

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

My name is Michael, and I'm the owner of Drivewatch, a new dash cam retailer that sources the best dash cams to offer direct to customers. I'm aiming for my company to provide the best pricing and customer service for the dash cam community. We're launching with the Drivewatch 380G, which is manufactured by the same company that manufacturers some of the StreetGuardian and Panorama models.

This camera features integrated GPS, a Sony Exmor image sensor, and captures excellent 1080p video. I have lots more information available on our website, and look forward to serving the community here on Dash Cam Talk!

Last edited:
Welcome!
Panorama and street guardian have great feedback here on DCT.
Hopefully, drivewatch also lives up to their standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site :)

Are you using the standard Matego firmware with 12Mbps recording or is it a custom one for Drivewatch?

Last edited:
Hi Reverend - thank you for the welcome! The firmware that we're using has a bitrate of 15 Mbps. I went ahead and pulled these video specs right off a raw file straight out of the camera. We're working directly with the manufacturer to make some other updates to the firmware (which we'll make available to existing owners, of course!).

kSO5UGF.png

Nice - they do run cleaner like that and good to see it's being used more to full advantage!

All the best with the new venture :)

Last edited:
Hi Drivewatch! Is there a hardwire kit that you recommend to use so I can hook it up to the fuse box of the car?

Thanks!

Hi Drivewatch! Is there a hardwire kit that you recommend to use so I can hook it up to the fuse box of the car?

Thanks!
Welcome! While we don't officially offer support for hard wire installations (because of the sheer amount of unique cars on the road), I would suggest this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JFUU87G.

Otherwise, if you go to a Autozone/O'Reilly/NAPA/Advance auto parts store, and ask for a kit to add a cigarette lighter socket in your car, they will have what you need!

Thanks Drivewatch! What's the operating temp range for the capacitor? I ask is because I live in TX and it gets quite hot here.

I noticed in the comment above that your firmware that you're using has a bitrate of 15mb vs the 12. Is there anything else that separates your product apart from the Street Guardian SGZC12SG and the Matego 380G other than price?

Thanks!

Thanks Drivewatch! What's the operating temp range for the capacitor? I ask is because I live in TX and it gets quite hot here.

I noticed in the comment above that your firmware that you're using has a bitrate of 15mb vs the 12. Is there anything else that separates your product apart from the Street Guardian SGZC12SG and the Matego 380G other than price?

Thanks!

The operating temperature for the capacitor is listed at 70C; you shouldn't have any problems in a parked car. Our full tech specs are available here: http://drivewatchcamera.com/tech-specs/

Regarding the differences between our product and the SGZC12SG/Matego380G - we have some minor firmware differences (branding, etc). Our exterior case is also slightly different than the Streetguardian model; we have a premium lens housing and no logo on the front of the camera so it's less noticeable. Otherwise the cameras are very similar.

Hope this helps!

The operating temperature for the capacitor is listed at 70C; you shouldn't have any problems in a parked car. Our full tech specs are available here: http://drivewatchcamera.com/tech-specs/

Regarding the differences between our product and the SGZC12SG/Matego380G - we have some minor firmware differences (branding, etc). Our exterior case is also slightly different than the Streetguardian model; we have a premium lens housing and no logo on the front of the camera so it's less noticeable. Otherwise the cameras are very similar.

Hope this helps!
70 Celsius is 158 Fahrenheit so it should be okay for most part but sometimes temperature inside vehicle can go higher in Texas and other hot areas.
But I guess most dashcams still are in that max range so it's not specific to one manufacturer.

"Results showed that a parked car without the use of a sunshade experienced extreme heat with the dashboard heating up to 192°F, high enough to cook a chicken and the steering wheel topping out at 191°F, high enough to grill a hamburger. In fact, a car parked in direct sunlight with closed windows can heat up to alarming temperatures in just minutes. The average temperature on the dashboard in a car without a sunshade, after fifteen minutes, reached 149°F. The testing further revealed that, in the same extreme conditions, a car using an accordion style sunshade in the windshield was able to keep the dashboard surfaces an average of 43° F cooler.

Source: http://www.auto-expressions.net/pr_sun_protect.htm

This pic is from Amazon.
What lens logo did you remove or you mean the label is different?
51wtPfY1anL._SL1000_.jpg

The generic versions don't have the Matego logo mate, other than that one logo they're the same on the exterior

The generic versions don't have the Matego logo mate, other than that one logo they're the same on the exterior

Correct, ours does not have the Matego logo. We had asked for the "1080P Full HD" text to get left off as well, but our shells were stamped anyways. Our next batch will not have that text on there.

70 Celsius is 158 Fahrenheit so it should be okay for most part but sometimes temperature inside vehicle can go higher in Texas and other hot areas.
But I guess most dashcams still are in that max range so it's not specific to one manufacturer.

The 70C testing is just what the manufacturer is willing to certify. On a recent trip to Florida this summer, the temperature in the car got up to about 175 (burned my hand on the seatbelt clip and again on the shifter) and the camera performed flawlessly. I'm confident that there won't be any trouble, but can't advertise past 70C because that's what the camera is rated at.

Last edited:
Michael, which mounts are included?
Amazon listing says only suction cup, answered questions at Amazon - adhesive mount is included as well.
If this is the case - what kind of adhesive mount - regular or low-profile (I guess like http://thedashcamstore.com/compact-adhesive-windshield-mount/)

Also, does the dashcam include warranty?

Thank you

I read on a review that the only speed units that are recorded are KMH. Is this true? Can you not switch to MPH?

Hey BigMike7801 - right now speed units are recorded in KPH. We will be releasing a firmware update this spring that will allow you to switch units to MPH on the camera.

Back