IR Interior & Rear Camera Mounting Locations & POV’s

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
Hey guys,
I guess I will post this thread in the A139 section as well since it has to do with the IR interior & rear cameras.

I just installed the A139 Pro’s IR interior camera. The traditional mounting location of center & top of the windshield was presenting a challenge due to lack of space. So I decided to mount the IR interior camera at the top of the passenger side A-pillar, (US right side).

Ever since I saw @rcg530 review of the new Thinkware Multiplexer I really like the external side view camera’s POV. I wanted to see how close I could emulate that with the A139 Pro’s IR interior & rear cameras. So I started with the IR interior camera by mounting it on a standard ¼ ball mount so it can be easily swiveled outboard to capture some side view action.

So far I think I like it, and will do the same on the driver side with the rear camera.
I’ve attached some screenshots of the POV’s under the various lighting conditions in my garage.
1.) Garage Lights + Dome Light
2.) Dome Light Only
3.) Garage Lights + Dome Light + IR Enabled
4.) Dome Light + IR Enabled
5.) IR Enabled Only
6.) Rearward Side View
7.) RCG530 Thinkware Multiplexer
-Chuck

Attachments

• 4.) Dome Light + IR Enabled .png
    4.) Dome Light + IR Enabled .png
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 5.) IR Enabled Only .png
    5.) IR Enabled Only .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 6.) Rearward Side View .png
    6.) Rearward Side View .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 7.) RCG530 Thinkware Multiplexer .jpg
    7.) RCG530 Thinkware Multiplexer .jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.) Garage Lights + Dome Light + IR Enabled .png
    3.) Garage Lights + Dome Light + IR Enabled .png
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 1.) Garage Lights + Dome Light .png
    1.) Garage Lights + Dome Light .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 2.) Dome Light Only .png
    2.) Dome Light Only .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
The install at / on the passenger side A pillar are something i have considered to be a good place if nothing else exist, but i am only thinking of recording the driver as i do not do ride share.
But it seem you still get a lot of the cabin too.

If you place the interior cam from say the front of a compact car such as a Honda Civic sedan - on the dash, point it straight back to the rear of the car, will the cam's FOV cover both sides of the windows since it is 170* FOV?

If you place the interior cam from say the front of a compact car such as a Honda Civic sedan - on the dash, point it straight back to the rear of the car, will the cam's FOV cover both sides of the windows since it is 170* FOV?
It’s possible.
It depends on how far forward you mount the camera on the dash.
It may cut off the front windows.

Here are some screenshots of two cameras mounted on the center of my rear window. The A229 rear camera is 160° FOV and it cuts off the rear fixed windows.
The other camera is a Sony Action Cam with 170° FOV and it gets the fixed rear windows.

Here is the videos;

Attachments

• 160 FOV .png
    160 FOV .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 170 FOV .png
    170 FOV .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
It’s possible.
It depends on how far forward you mount the camera on the dash.
It may cut off the front windows.

Here are some screenshots of two cameras mounted on the center of my rear window. The A229 rear camera is 160° FOV and it cuts off the rear fixed windows.
The other camera is a Sony Action Cam with 170° FOV and it gets the fixed rear windows.

Here is the videos;
Thanks for posting these.

I finally got around to installing the "REAR" remote camera for the A139 Pro at the top of my driver side A pillar.
I started by mounting the "INTERIOR IR" camera at the same location on the passenger side.
Shoutout, and big thanks to Alex from Viofo for sending out a 1M "short" cable, because I was not crazy about stuffing the included 6M cable in my headliner.
So far I really like the POV's of these remote cameras.
If I had a convertible sports car, (no rear window) I think I would prefer this set up in lieu of installing an external waterproof camera on the rear trunk lid.

Back in 2020 I made a 4-Channel set up with two A129 Plus units by installing the remote cameras on two fixed rear windows.
I really like the POV's of the remote cameras, but this time I wanted to try something different ever since I saw @rcg530 review of the new Thinkware Multiplexer with the external side view cameras.
So far I think the angle of the driver side camera will be useful for capturing merging onto the freeway, and lane changes.
This would have been a lot easier if I could have stuck the remote cameras to my windshield with the included 3M adhesive tabs, but I couldn't figure out how to get the angle of adjustment right, so I resorted to using two old 1/4 ball mounts.

Oh yeah, I think these POV's would also be helpful capturing potential traffic stops by law enforcement, because in my area city police officers usually approach from the driver side. And highway patrol officers usually approach from the passenger side.
As soon as the sun gets a little higher in the sky I'll go out and get some test footage.
-Chuck

Attachments

• 10 .jpg
    10 .jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 9 .jpg
    9 .jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 8 .jpg
    8 .jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 7 .jpg
    7 .jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 6 .png
    6 .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 5 .png
    5 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 4 .png
    4 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 3 .jpg
    3 .jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1 .jpg
    1 .jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 7
@viofo A139 Pro “REAR & INTERIOR” alternative POV test footage.
Skip to 0:46 Driver Side
Skip to 1:44 Passenger Side
Skip to 4:38 Passenger Side
Skip to 5:28 Driver Side

Attachments

• Driver Side .png
    Driver Side .png
  • Passenger Side .png
    Passenger Side .png
I previously made a video testing the A139 Pro's IR & Rear cameras mounted on my A-Pillars looking outward, of the front windows toward the rear.
This time I adjusted the cameras so they are looking inward.
I think I like this POV better.
Skip to 1:18 in the video to see.

Back