Is 4K really a big deal?

If it is a real 4K camera, then it has 4x the number of pixels of 1080, which should mean 4x the detail, and that does make a big difference in good lighting or when stationary.

Most 4K cameras do not use 4x the bitrate so the improvement is rather less, some only use 1080 bitrates and then you only get 4x the detail if there is not much movement in the image, drive under trees and they only produce 1080 detail.

So the answer is, it depends on the quality of the camera, not so much on the resolution, and you need to check out the actual image quality before deciding on a specific camera.

For most people 2K is adequate for a dashcam, 1080 is a minimum, 4K is more than adequate.

The 4K cameras also tend to come with better sensors and processors, if I want to make a movie then I will always choose the footage from my 4K Viofo A129 Pro, but as an accident camera for all conditions, on average the 2K A119 V3 is the better camera.

Difference in resolution between Viofo A129 Duo (1080), A119 V3 (2K) & A129 Pro (4K), also shows the field of view differences:

y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

y4mD1Sle3zk-0glh527dp4-elGSlYSM3gtGuYS3rkkjS_6I_O9NwCr5zRg5ghQrvG-Z5SVjHpUjIpF3iobUChNYgR0Tj2B_eNBHRtgkiKVF0LhL_CWY6avGIfTkJMv371ceqPkl9iAompaavDKMrST9ph1qQ9Qt8zHynnSe5iByCblj-3hc6tOtJJRvLn6-_Qh1

y4mRvnwQsWwG57W82rrmkpLUZbhRK-otqbLJ9Hr8pHiJHJqikT0_47cGUAHo8sKcs9Hei3smWif5gkPqRuON39Yk2_dj9jtmyN7OrhBqQmfEetfi0OO4K49RWK0iOLGqNQJhRkgZGJXvOYgtaDsVy1NgBVpS9nY8arihmY1cjy-aJKzbehtd2MHpGMdKhgzBH0h

4K is slightly better in our devices but it doesn't yet fulfill all it's potential- that is still probably a couple years away. As I see it, the biggest problem is that to reach it's potential will require higher bitrates than the current crop of processors and common SD cards are capable of. Some of the best 4K cams of today do well enough if you can live with their limitations and faults, and those differ from cam to cam. For now, the 'sweet spot' seems to be 2K where it's capabilities can be better and more fully used given the processor and card limitations we have. 1080p has the advantage of being more fully developed and thus can give us all it's potential, especially in multi-channel cams. For most people it does well enough.

There is no advancement if someone does not try to achieve it, so these 'early' 4K efforts are good for us and will lead to greater things. Whether it's good enough now you have to decide for yourself.

Phil

Those giant EU plates will look good in any resolution :)

Those giant EU plates will look good in any resolution :)

And having 2 of them even better if you have a 2 channel system, as you get 2 X the chance of a capture.
Some countries i wonder why the bother to have plates on the cars in the first place.

Some countries i wonder why the bother to have plates on the cars in the first place.
It's an easy way of checking that you've paid the appropriate taxes. :rolleyes:

Very few here are not happy about the ANPG cameras on select Danish roads, a few cameras have been torched.
But the general Dane have already handed over all but breathing and going to the toilet to the government so they dont care one bit, it is pretty sad i think even on the most basic parameters.
I will take freedom over any protection or service some one offer or force upon me, and i would rather die at the hands of some religious nutcase than live a life under the rule i live under now. ( Thats the little Texan inside me speaking )

There are talks here that people infected with corona and apparently not self isolating are to be equipped with a ankle brace or even forcefully isolated.
Both things ( that people done isolate when they have been found infected, and some one can even come up with the idea of fitting people with GPS trackers or forcefully intern then ) are just out of this world in my ears.

There are talks here that people infected with corona and apparently not self isolating are to be equipped with a ankle brace or even forcefully isolated.
Both things ( that people done isolate when they have been found infected, and some one can even come up with the idea of fitting people with GPS trackers or forcefully intern then ) are just out of this world in my ears.
In the USA you can get ankle braces just for refusing to sign a covid document:

Yeah and i sort of get that too, Typhoid Mary / Mary Mallon was warned too and she dident listen, she spent the rest of her life locked up,,,,,,, and i cant say that is unfair.
I should probably also mention the problematic people causing this to be a issue, well they are not Danish generations back, probably pretty new to the country, and a country they are just here to get the best out off, even if they never leave again.

It is sad we Danes are at a place where some official have to dictate everything, personally i would rather risk getting the stuff by violently confronting a infected person i know should be at home, but i meet in some public place.
Not least since for people not able to isolate, due to living conditions or like me not really have anyone to say do shopping for me, well there is help for that, for instance isolating people in a hotel where they will get cared for and just have to stay away from other people.
This is done in the UK too i think i recall, some Dane getting "locked" up on a hotel, among other things also with homeless people, CUZ you can of course not isolate when you live on the street.

Our weakness and stupidity force government to react like that, thats the sad part, but also sad government dont see / know this is a result of their pampering tendencies.

People can think for them self most often, and do the right thing, you just need to make sure they have facts and the truth to make a judgement call upon.
And with not catering / pampering the weak, there should be less of them to endanger the rest of the population.

"Nigel, post: 522298, member: 7825"] In the USA you can get ankle braces just for refusing to sign a covid document

Maybe some places- remember each State here has it's own laws ;) Not sure the process here, but every State does have the power and obligation to try to protect the general public in a disaster or emergency as best as it can reasonably do, yet they have legal immunity for such actions or a lack thereof :rolleyes:

But actually the Federal government could probably get involved if they wanted to. There is a Supreme Court ruling regards someone who refused a vaccination in a Typhoid epidemic which ruled that in such emergency circumstances, a State can force you to take a vaccine or subject you to strict quarantine for the public good until you do, or until the emergency subsides, and as far as I know that ruling still stands.

But let's keep this discussion over in the Covid-19 thread please :)

Phil

Does 4K resolution really make a difference or it's not worth the hype?

Lots of faked upscaled 4K cameras out there. So it really depends. There's a large section here on cameras not offering true 4k. True 4K will without a doubt offer superior daytime video to 1080P. Night time video will suffer since the smaller pixels let in less light for the light sensors to process. In this respect, 1080P on a good camera is superior to 4K. How much, I'm not sure, but I imagine there's no uniform answer.

If it is a real 4K camera, then it has 4x the number of pixels of 1080, which should mean 4x the detail, and that does make a big difference in good lighting or when stationary.

Most 4K cameras do not use 4x the bitrate so the improvement is rather less, some only use 1080 bitrates and then you only get 4x the detail if there is not much movement in the image, drive under trees and they only produce 1080 detail.

So the answer is, it depends on the quality of the camera, not so much on the resolution, and you need to check out the actual image quality before deciding on a specific camera.

For most people 2K is adequate for a dashcam, 1080 is a minimum, 4K is more than adequate.

The 4K cameras also tend to come with better sensors and processors, if I want to make a movie then I will always choose the footage from my 4K Viofo A129 Pro, but as an accident camera for all conditions, on average the 2K A119 V3 is the better camera.

Difference in resolution between Viofo A129 Duo (1080), A119 V3 (2K) & A129 Pro (4K), also shows the field of view differences:

y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

y4mD1Sle3zk-0glh527dp4-elGSlYSM3gtGuYS3rkkjS_6I_O9NwCr5zRg5ghQrvG-Z5SVjHpUjIpF3iobUChNYgR0Tj2B_eNBHRtgkiKVF0LhL_CWY6avGIfTkJMv371ceqPkl9iAompaavDKMrST9ph1qQ9Qt8zHynnSe5iByCblj-3hc6tOtJJRvLn6-_Qh1

y4mRvnwQsWwG57W82rrmkpLUZbhRK-otqbLJ9Hr8pHiJHJqikT0_47cGUAHo8sKcs9Hei3smWif5gkPqRuON39Yk2_dj9jtmyN7OrhBqQmfEetfi0OO4K49RWK0iOLGqNQJhRkgZGJXvOYgtaDsVy1NgBVpS9nY8arihmY1cjy-aJKzbehtd2MHpGMdKhgzBH0h
Wow. Thank you sir for the professional explanation. I've learnt so much!

4K is slightly better in our devices but it doesn't yet fulfill all it's potential- that is still probably a couple years away. As I see it, the biggest problem is that to reach it's potential will require higher bitrates than the current crop of processors and common SD cards are capable of. Some of the best 4K cams of today do well enough if you can live with their limitations and faults, and those differ from cam to cam. For now, the 'sweet spot' seems to be 2K where it's capabilities can be better and more fully used given the processor and card limitations we have. 1080p has the advantage of being more fully developed and thus can give us all it's potential, especially in multi-channel cams. For most people it does well enough.

There is no advancement if someone does not try to achieve it, so these 'early' 4K efforts are good for us and will lead to greater things. Whether it's good enough now you have to decide for yourself.

Phil
Well said, sir. I think 4K is bit too early for me

Lots of faked upscaled 4K cameras out there. So it really depends. There's a large section here on cameras not offering true 4k. True 4K will without a doubt offer superior daytime video to 1080P. Night time video will suffer since the smaller pixels let in less light for the light sensors to process. In this respect, 1080P on a good camera is superior to 4K. How much, I'm not sure, but I imagine there's no uniform answer.
You made a good point on the smaller pixels. That's actually one of my conerns about 4K too

You made a good point on the smaller pixels. That's actually one of my conerns about 4K too

Even with 1080p sensors, there's a wide difference. Check out my thread here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mygekogear-orbit-950-review.42796/#post-520361

I compared a Viofo A129 duo to the myGeckogear Orbit 950. Both offering 1080p and both Front + Rear Cameras. Look at the night video between each, So hardware differences make it difficult to make blanket assumptions. But 4K (not tested both are 1080p) will indeed suffer some at night

I do have a 4K camera to test, just haven't installed yet.

Back