Is 90 wide enough?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
I see innov c3 version comes with 90 degree lens.
Is it enough?
I've always used at least 120 degree and more.
Still wish wider.
What say you? :confused:

The C3 has the choice of a 120 degree lens. My first one came with a 90 because I bought it from SpyTec and that was all they had, but the second one I bought direct from Innovv and got the 120 degree lens.

It is nice to have the choice. On my hat the 90 degree is okay, and for the bumper cam install it was okay. There might be some RC applications where 90 would be okay as well. but I would use the 120 for regular DashCam use

Depends on how much of a view you want to capture of course. Of the cameras that I have, my favourite is the 90 degree Innovv C3.

I find that this is wide enough to capture what I want, should I be involved in an accident, and the detail is super. I might miss the guy falling off the roof a couple of blocks away but I didn't buy it for that anyway.

I see innov c3 version comes with 90 degree lens.
Is it enough?
I've always used at least 120 degree and more.
Still wish wider.
What say you? :confused:
you can buy both the 90 degree lens or the 120 degree lens separately quite cheap direct from Rock at INNOVV so which ever you you go you are not stuck with buying a whole new unit if you want to swap lens in the future. On a bike I think 90 degree is sufficient but in a car i would lean towards 120 degree.

http://www.innovv.com/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/members/rockthinking.1412/

Last edited by a moderator:
This DIY shared by one customer, he is skilled.
We sent one more free samples to support him.
So far, no plan to install 70 degree lens, as no suit able size.

Look at below photo, find what is different.

17%2B-%2BJob%2BDone.jpg

The answer is from below blog, that is what he did.
http://innovvactioncam.blogspot.com/2015/04/innovv-c3-external-microphone-mod.html

Hi all,

I'm a regular visitor to this forum (a mine of useful info!), but this is my first post on here. I'm the guy experimenting with the 70 degree lens and the external mic socket mods, and the results are looking very encouraging. Unfortunately, when I unscrewed the rear of the lens module the cable twisted with it and some of the connections to the internal sensor plug broke. I cut the cable back and resoldered all 14 connections, which was a pig of a job - especially the outer screen which is aluminum (aluminium to us Brits!) - and was then able to take some test videos. But then the cable packed up on me again, which brought my testing to an abrupt halt. So lesson #1 - when unscrewing the lens case ensure the cable itself doesn't twist with it!

My interest in the C3 is as an onboard camera for my AC Cobra replica to capture my annual trips from the UK to drive mountain passes throughout Europe. Having tried various camcorders and action cams over the years, I discovered the C3 via this forum and Mat's excellent Techmoan.com site. It's the closest match I've yet found to my requirements:
  • a separate lens that can be easily installed and safely left on an open-topped car
  • automatic continuous recording with ignition on
  • support for an external microphone to capture the glorious sound of a 6.3 litre V8 through open sidepipes, but avoiding the annoying wind noise which blights so many Youtube videos.
However, I'm not a fan of the wide-angle lens fish eye effect, and I wanted to have a choice of external mics and also to automatically cut out the internal mic - hence these mods, which will make the C3 absolutely perfect for my planned usage.

The support I've had from Rock has been fantastic - thanks to him I now have everything I need to make some side-by-side lens and microphone comparison videos, and I'll be posting links to them on this forum when I have them. I need to complete some other work on my Cobra beforehand, but hopefully this won't take too much longer. The lens I'm using at present is the Sunex DSL355, but I'm also considering experimenting with another Sunex lens.

My thanks again to Rock - it's great to find a company that not only listens to its customers but actively invites and supports their input - a very refreshing change!

Welcome to DCT, @Conrod. Looking forward to your completed project videos. My interest has been piqued by your 70 degree lens mod, might be ideal for inside the car use.

Hi all,

I'm a regular visitor to this forum (a mine of useful info!), but this is my first post on here. I'm the guy experimenting with the 70 degree lens and the external mic socket mods, and the results are looking very encouraging. Unfortunately, when I unscrewed the rear of the lens module the cable twisted with it and some of the connections to the internal sensor plug broke. I cut the cable back and resoldered all 14 connections, which was a pig of a job - especially the outer screen which is aluminum (aluminium to us Brits!) - and was then able to take some test videos. But then the cable packed up on me again, which brought my testing to an abrupt halt. So lesson #1 - when unscrewing the lens case ensure the cable itself doesn't twist with it!

My interest in the C3 is as an onboard camera for my AC Cobra replica to capture my annual trips from the UK to drive mountain passes throughout Europe. Having tried various camcorders and action cams over the years, I discovered the C3 via this forum and Mat's excellent Techmoan.com site. It's the closest match I've yet found to my requirements:
  • a separate lens that can be easily installed and safely left on an open-topped car
  • automatic continuous recording with ignition on
  • support for an external microphone to capture the glorious sound of a 6.3 litre V8 through open sidepipes, but avoiding the annoying wind noise which blights so many Youtube videos.
However, I'm not a fan of the wide-angle lens fish eye effect, and I wanted to have a choice of external mics and also to automatically cut out the internal mic - hence these mods, which will make the C3 absolutely perfect for my planned usage.

The support I've had from Rock has been fantastic - thanks to him I now have everything I need to make some side-by-side lens and microphone comparison videos, and I'll be posting links to them on this forum when I have them. I need to complete some other work on my Cobra beforehand, but hopefully this won't take too much longer. The lens I'm using at present is the Sunex DSL355, but I'm also considering experimenting with another Sunex lens.

My thanks again to Rock - it's great to find a company that not only listens to its customers but actively invites and supports their input - a very refreshing change!
Hi Conrod,
Welcome to the forum and nice handy work with he C3. Bit off topic but can you post a pic of your cobra....6.3 litre in a cobra ....awesome power to weight ratio...sounds like one hell of a car.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome! And as requested, here's a photo of me and my Cobra on last year's trip to Saint Tropez:

Riviera 2.jpg

The grin on my face is a permanent feature when driving this car! That's my touring buddy Rob behind me - in September we're both off to Barcelona.

I see you're from down under. On the 2013 trip to Germany/Austria we teamed up with a pair of Aussies. Great company - you guys share our sense of humour!

Alan

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome! And as requested, here's a photo of me and my Cobra on last year's trip to Saint Tropez:

View attachment 12999

The grin on my face is a permanent feature when driving this car! That's my touring buddy Rob behind me - in September we're both off to Barcelona.

I see you're from down under. On the 2013 trip to Germany/Austria we teamed up with a pair of Aussies. Great company - you guys share our sense of humour!

Alan
Thanks for the post...
Yes ..as I suspected....that sure is a nice set of wheels. Rob's Cobra with the more traditional paint looks to be very well put together also...I can see why it would put a smile on your face.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
niko C3 589
Back