Is a dashcam with built in memory instead of a SD card a good or bad idea?

country_hick

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just saw this dashcam for sale with a built in EMMC 5.1 chip.

DDPai Dash Cam Mini5 4K 2160P UHD DVR Car Camera Android 5GHz Wifi Auto Drive Vehicle Video Recorder GPS Tracker Built-in 64GB

I present a beginning list of items for discussion.

Lets debate the pluses and minuses of a camera with a built in memory chip.

1. Sd card failures will be impossible with a built in memory chip.
2. If the camera fails with a built in chip your recording will be irretrievable.
3. You are less likely to have a built in memory chip fail compared to a sd card.
4. Although the built in memory lasts longer than a sd card one day the camera will be junk when the memory does fail.
5. You can not just remove the sd card to quickly and easily download your videos.
7. Internal memory never flies out and gets lost under your car seat.
8. You never forget to reinstall Internal memory.
9. You can not upgrade to have more memory when the memory is built in.
10. Removing the camera from your vehicle to download your footage could result in a broken mount or camera.
11. Downloading 64 GB using USB, wifi, or bluetooth would take a very long time.
12. Warranty issues could not be blamed on the sd card for a dashcam with internal memory.

What does everyone think? Is internal memory overall a good or bad idea? I am not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
What does everyone think? Is internal memory overall a good or bad idea? I am not sure.
if the camera also has a card slot and can user either (or better still both) then I think it's a positive, if it's onboard memory only though I'm not a fan

Not a fan of build in / permanent memory, this folly are also not uncommon in Laptops.

I don't see the SD card being a problem if quality high endurance one is used.
If I could have a wish, maybe a support for USB mass storage or a regular sized SD card would be better.

I could like it if the built-in memory was used side-by-side with the card for redundancy, or if it could be used alone. That would (hopefully) end the tales of woe we occasionally get of lost or corrupted crash video, while still allowing you to pull a card instead of the whole cam for viewing. I would not like it without having a card option.

For dashcams, reliability is Job #1 and anything that helps with that is a good thing ;)

Phil

Current price is US $199.98 - 219.98. But just a few hours ago the price was much lower. Just keep it in mind.

chart.jpeg

For dash cam use Hislicon chipset, it may have loop recording issue for long-term use, that's why some manufactures switch to eMMC solution.

I'm excited that this dashcam is marketed in China with an optional 4G mount to enable cloud features like GPS tracking, geofencing, remote footage viewing. Now if only we can get hold of that mount support bands 1,3,5,7,8,20 it would be a very exciting proposition for that price point because currently the camera is sold at ~US$145 here in Malaysia.

Now on the topic of built-in memory. If the DDPai learnt from Apple and let us have 64GB and 256GB options at cost, maybe it could work. Larger storage means it takes longer before each cell has to be erased, leading to longer lifespan.

Also, if one of those large wedge formats dashcams could support M.2 2240 (be it SATA or NVMe interface) storage, it would be a real dream. User servicable high performance memory that is still somewhat available in the market.

FCC teardown indicates single eMMC chip holding 64GB.

3D NAND doesn't bode well for durability? But then again there's no specifications published on this.

3D NAND doesn't bode well for durability?
Depends, you need to know the write cycle specification for the device.

It is possible to get 3D NAND with MLC or TLC cells, also it can have a lot of spare cells to replace worn ones and extend the life. If a 16GB unit was made using 256GB of cells then the life could be extended x16! They don't normally say how they are constructed, just give the write cycle specification.

Can it be 3D NAND and MLC at the same thing? I had the impression that MLC and TLC were 2D layouts.

Not everybody defines MLC and TLC in the same way, but normally it refers to how many bits each cell can store MLC being 2 bits and TLC being 3 bits. 3D NAND refers to stacking of the cells vertically to fit more into the same 2D area and it can be done with both types. MLC typically gives over 2x the lifespan, that applies to the 3D versions too.

You are right! New things to learn each day! Thank you sir.

There are no user information / experience out there regarding build in memory, so not really possible to say.
But i think i would prefer the conventional way with memory cards or at least some form of removable storage.

There are no user information / experience out there regarding build in memory, so not really possible to say.
But i think i would prefer the conventional way with memory cards or at least some form of removable storage.

I've got a Mini One to be installed in a friend's car, another on the way to Perth for my sister. Will keep a tab on how many years they run. Also, I've got the Mini 5 in my shopping cart waiting for 11.11 and see if the deal is attractive. If I snag the camera, I intend to get the LTE mount off Taobao China and see if it'll work with bands 1,3,5,7,8,20. It would be interesting if the dashcam also doubles as a locator, live cam feed, etc.

I'm excited that this dashcam is marketed in China with an optional 4G mount to enable cloud features like GPS tracking, geofencing, remote footage viewing. Now if only we can get hold of that mount support bands 1,3,5,7,8,20 it would be a very exciting proposition for that price point because currently the camera is sold at ~US$145 here in Malaysia.

Now on the topic of built-in memory. If the DDPai learnt from Apple and let us have 64GB and 256GB options at cost, maybe it could work. Larger storage means it takes longer before each cell has to be erased, leading to longer lifespan.

Also, if one of those large wedge formats dashcams could support M.2 2240 (be it SATA or NVMe interface) storage, it would be a real dream. User servicable high performance memory that is still somewhat available in the market.
Have you used the 4G mount? I need it.
Where can i find it ? Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W mini5 2
Back