Is a power bank workable for A129 under my conditions?

yangren13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I am new here learning and planning my next dash cam to replace my current Roav C2 pro. I am pretty interested in the parking mode based on my previous experience that been hit-n-run. My car usually parking in company parking lot during day time and apartment park lot during night. Both of the parking lots are equip well CCTV. So the parking mode is only needed when parking in a crowed supermarket lot or occasional along the street. I am wondering if the A129 battery (capacitor) can hold the parking mode for around 2 hours while I am shopping in supermarket, and could I manually connect my 10k mAh power bank to the USB power cable when I rarely need an overnight street parking. I had read a lot about the hard wire cord and OBD II power cord, but I don't think it so much worth (either too much work for hard wire kit or too risky for OBD II power cord) for the low demanding like my situation.

The dashcam doesn't work without an external power source as the capacitor only helps when the power drops for a short period or for saving the current file when the cam losses its power altogether.
A powerbank will work fine.

While the power bank idea will work, I'd not be recommending it.

There will come a time when you forget to switch it back to being powered by the car, and it won't record.

There are a few hard wire kits which allow you to set different voltages and running time to help protect your car battery. Some have the ability to switch them off, allowing you to manually control when the camera operates with the ignition off, but powering up automatically when you turn on the car.

Installing a hard wire kit is generally pretty easy. The hardest part, especially with new cars, is finding appropriate fuses to power the device.

As far as I am concerned the newer Firmwares support Parking Mode with Powerbanks. It will turn on automatically after 5 minutes.

Back