Is anybody running a permanent hot spot in there car ?

Bollos

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As per the title is anyone running a permanent hot spot in there car for cloud access ?

Last edited:
thinking if i can put an old mobile in the car with a data only sim & run the camera off the hot spot ???

thinking if i can put an old mobile in the car with a data only sim & run the camera off the hot spot ???

phones generally have the connection go to sleep if no active need for data, the camera is probably not going to wake it up correctly from that state , cost you nothing to try if you have a spare handset

ok i do have an old handset but i also have a telstra 4g wifi device but there wifi not hotspot will it work on that & still connect to my phone if i need it ? or would i just use cloud ? prob a silly question but i only got my cameras this week

not sure, try it and see I guess, the hotspots go to sleep also, phones and PC's can wake them from that state ok but not sure about the camera, if you work it out would be good if you post back with what you find as it may be helpful for others

Verizon has a little tiny one for $5/mo addition to an existing plan. It plugs into your OBDII port. Definitely the cheapest option for permanent installed. Unknown if the power is available 24/7. I did a permanent install in mine. You can see some parts of it from a post linked off my profile page. I think I will go to a Cradlepoint router though as they have better reliability than the USB modem I am using at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m using the netgear nighthawk from AT&T.
I’m running 2 powermagic pros. One handling the dashcam set at 11.5v. And the other is set at 12 handling the hotspot. When the hotspots powermagic turns off. It’s battery keeeps it running. My drive to work is only about 20 min. So that’s why I didn’t get one of the external batteries.
Most if not all hotspot have a serting to disable the sleep mode. I had to do this. Because the camera wouldn’t wake it up.
Also tried a cellphone. But it had the same problem of not waking up.

I'm using the Verizon jetpack.
It has a tendency to shut down when it gets too hot.

That damn common thread with these devices and heat [emoji91][emoji22]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Personally ... I just dislike Verizon.. they have always been about limiting their users.. unless you pay. What used to be Verizon?... look them up... GTE.. first pacific bell... put them to the side... and than AT&T happened.. and eventually .. well.. you know the rest...

ok i am in Australia & i have a telstra 4g wifi device works in my car & my phone but the 900s won't recognize it , taking it back to the dealer this week

I picked up a Blackview BV6000S android phone recently I've been playing with, and it has a setting I've not seen before. 'Keep Wifi Hotspot always on'. Android 7.0 (Don't see it on my other phones with 7.1.1. Not sure if it is unique to 7.0. or ???)

I'm not a big fan of Verizon either. In fact, our family plan is with att.

Att was too pricey for me.

My cheapest option for mobile Wi-Fi was the jetpack ac791l. Device was $99, with a one time $40 connection fee and $15 month for 1gb.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If they don’t get you one way they get you in another. The nighthawk was 200 bucks. And I pay them 20 bucks for 10 gigs.

Reactions: Tfp
I had an old Virgin Mobile pre-paid which didn't go to sleep and connected well with any network but the airtime cost was enough to cause cardiac arrest. After a few years inactivity it died while in my desk drawer. I was given a newer one but haven't tried it yet, much more other stuff to attend to than it.

Phil

Hi all thanks for the input got it sorted on my wifi device i had it named Arteon WiFi & apparently the DR900s doesn't like more then 1 work for the SSID quick change & it now works , tech support form Blackvue where great via FB post

I just picked up Verizon jetpack 7730L and found that just having the camera connected with no activity will still drain about 75% of the 4400 mAh battery.

Are you all seeing similar drain? Are you having to charge your hotspots daily?

i leave mine in the car as soon as the car starts it turns on & charges through a usb port no probs so far cloud always connects & i am finding the hotspot battery will stay on longer then the camera , although i do plan to get the blackvue b124 at some point

How long is your commute and how long does your dash cam stay on?

Also the duration I mentioned yesterday was about 12 hours where the camera was on and connected to the hotspot

i only drive my car a few times a week it sitting under the car port most of the time but my hotspot turns off after 10 minutes if there is no activity

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 8
Back