Is anyone else seeing GPS glitches on the video stamps?

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
I accidentally spotted this while checking footage earlier:

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 17.02.24.png

The latitude is fine but longitude shows as 33.300000 for a second - I've seen this before on the A129 Pro footage but couldn't find the video.

I was out on the open roads and the GPS lock seems fine the second prior and afterwards, I just wondered if anyone else is seeing this as seems something is getting confused in the code somewhere.

The speed dips as well when this happens, the second before it was 36, then 12 as in this screenshot, then the next second shows 38. As much as I'd like a Tesla in insanity mode this is just a dirty diesel so not fast enough to pull that off :)

My GPS spoofing hardware was in the house at the time 15 miles away so certainly not that either :D

Last edited:
I need to pay attention to that and see if I can spot that issue on mine.

I accidentally spotted this while checking footage earlier:

View attachment 49565

The longitude is fine but latitude shows as 33.300000 for a second - I've seen this before on the A129 Pro footage but couldn't find the video.

I was out on the open roads and the GPS lock seems fine the second prior and afterwards, I just wondered if anyone else is seeing this as seems something is getting confused in the code somewhere.

The speed dips as well when this happens, the second before it was 36, then 12 as in this screenshot, then the next second shows 38. As much as I'd like a Tesla in insanity mode this is just a dirty diesel so not fast enough to pull that off :)

My GPS spoofing hardware was in the house at the time 15 miles away so certainly not that either :D
best to upload the file and send a link to Bill so their engineer can have a look at it

best to upload the file and send a link to Bill so their engineer can have a look at it
Already in the process of that mate, I just wanted to see if maybe it's a fault unique here or more widespread maybe.

Unfortunately this particular video clip is full of my Tourette's kicking in so wanted to find more files as I don't want to be responsible for teaching the Viofo engineers new swear words ;)

It doesn't happen often which is why I'm wondering if it's something specific here as I do seem to see more issues than most people for some reason.

I'm just in the process of exporting all the text stamp data from the video files and OCRing it to see how many times it's happened.

I've extracted just the bottom text region from all 400GB of video data I have, one frame exported per second to match the stamp update frequency, and currently OCring 127,000 image files (>35 hours of video).

It's working and already found more clips which are swear free (y) :ROFLMAO:

Here's an example - when it's finished batch processing the lot I'll tidy the data but luckily it highlights the bits with issues. such as this one below.

Screenshot 2019-11-15 at 07.47.01.png

It could just be it's outputting whatever it's receiving over the UART connection from the GPS chipset - hopefully I can find enough clips to help the engineers squash this one.

OK blimey the scripts have shown it's happening a lot more than I realised so I've got a good few clips now.

It seems to happen in parking mode quite frequently too and always just the longitude showing a complete wrong value and the speed is wrong too when it happens. Whether it's coming from the GPS chipset or it's happening in camera I don't know.

Heck it could even be a ground problem causing garbled data on the GPS stream.

I've got evidence of it on firmware 1015 and 1025 here - in parking mode it seems the corruptions are at file cutover (I had wondered previously if this corruption was confusing the file logic and causing the beeps although it still seems there are multiple reasons for the beeps).

I've got 10 raw files uploading so that should be enough for the engineers for now.

Last edited:
Back