Is it actually recording? 512gw with rear cam

Jacko956

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 512gw, 512 rear
When i turn on the ignition the camera will normally turn on and start recording but on a number of occasions there's problems. All i get in the display is the front view, no rear view and none of the buttons respond. I have disconnect/reconnect the power at the 12v to get it working. Or the display will 'wobble', like it can't fix the aspect ratio. Again, power off and on at the 12v socket fixes it. Another time i have to choose a rear cam display option, left or right of the screen. Don't seem to have these problems when the rear cam is disconnected. I'm using a Samsung 128gb evo+ but don't think that's an issue. Im thinking it would have been better to have two independent cams for front and rear. Its just that the rear is so small and discrete. Then there's the drop in quality with the rear cam connected, as reported elsewhere on this forum. I hope these issues can be fixed with updates.

What firmware version are you running?

The resolution will not be fixed under any firmware update the camera can't do any higher resolution than 1080p with the rear camera set up only 1440p as a standalone camera.

What firmware version are you running?

The resolution will not be fixed under any firmware update the camera can't do any higher resolution than 1080p with the rear camera set up only 1440p as a standalone camera.
Firmware 21.6

Not normal. Loose connection that stops stuff powering up properly.

This issue seems to happen when the unit is in parking mode and the battery is low. Opening the door sets off the parking mode, the camera displays the low battery message, ignition is turned on, the display shows only the front view with the red record symbol but the 3min timer symbol stays on 0 and the rear camera fails to connect. Was going to hard wire it. Think I'll wait for an update.

There's a firmware update 22.5

Th

Thank you. Not had any start up issues. Will report back.
Oh dear. Parking mode on, ignition turned on battery low message and drove a couple of miles before I realised the screen was only showing the front camera and it wasn't recording!

Does 22.5 resolve it @Jacko956
With parking mode and announcements on, ignition turned on, battery low message appears, screen was only showing the front camera and it appeared to be recording but nothing on the sd card. Seems to be a low or flat battery issue.

I have seen some strange behavior when the battery is low. In my case rear cam image was frozen. My car gets used infrequently so sometimes battery ends up quite low. Charge up in house and its OK for 2-3 weeks or all the time if I use the car more often. Got to say this wasn't an issue I saw before adding the rear cam.

With parking mode and announcements on, ignition turned on, battery low message appears, screen was only showing the front camera and it appeared to be recording but nothing on the sd card. Seems to be a low or flat battery issue.
Start the engine to get rid of a low battery. On charge, the battery will be about 14V

I have seen some strange behavior when the battery is low. In my case rear cam image was frozen. My car gets used infrequently so sometimes battery ends up quite low. Charge up in house and its OK for 2-3 weeks or all the time if I use the car more often. Got to say this wasn't an issue I saw before adding the rear cam.
I think the battery isn't enough to power 2 cameras, amps may drop to a point where it can barely power one camera. And if parking mode is on then the camera will power up and freeze or have weird issues and turning on the ignition doesn't seem to help. If this is the case then the unit should power off completely. I'm sure the engineers must be aware of the issues though.

Start the engine to get rid of a low battery. On charge, the battery will be about 14V
Yes, just have to be more aware. Shouldn't have to though. It should just work.

Back