Is It Dead? (900s-2ch)

ChappyEight

Reaction score
Country
United States
I realized the last couple days my camera wasn't speaking to me when it powered up. Upon review this evening, I found that the camera is unresponsive altogether (no lights, no sound, wifi not showing up). The front camera is emitting a high pitched (but quiet) electrical noise when power is applied. I installed this in August 2018 and have been trouble-free since that time.

If it matters, the camera is hardwired from a Blackvue battery. The battery works fine and is still visible in the battery app. It's the camera(s) that are not booting. I reformatted the SD card in hopes it would correct the problem but it did not.

Did my camera(s) die just shy of 3 years?

Thanks for any help,
Chappy

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
Did my camera(s) die just shy of 3 years?
Welcome to DCT @ChappyEight :)

It's possible the cam has died, but before giving up, try disconnecting the rear cam and see if it then boots up; if so it's a rear cam or cable problem. If not, they try booting the cam without a card and see what happens- it that gets it responsive you need a new card. If we're still getting no response there should be a "hard reset" procedure for the cam which needs to be tried first. If the owner's manual doesn't cover the procedure, then a message to your seller or Blackvue's tech support people should do the trick.

If that doesn't work then Blackvue tech support may have something more they can do. IIRC Blackvue offers a repair service, or used to, which might get you going again at a lower cost than replacing the cam. Again IIRC that may take awhile. Cams usually last longer than this, but with any mass-produced item there will be a small percentage that don't- it's the luck if the draw sometimes.

Phil

BlackboxMyCar

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Thinkware, BlackVue, IROAD, Viofo, BlackSys
The high pitched noise almost always indicates a bricked camera, unfortunately, but here are some more things to try:

1. Power on the dash cam via the vehicle's 12V socket and see if anything changes (AKA bypass battery pack)
2. Do a firmware reflash by following the instructions here www.blackvue.com/downloads