Is It Dead? (900s-2ch)

ChappyEight

Reaction score
Country
United States
I realized the last couple days my camera wasn't speaking to me when it powered up. Upon review this evening, I found that the camera is unresponsive altogether (no lights, no sound, wifi not showing up). The front camera is emitting a high pitched (but quiet) electrical noise when power is applied. I installed this in August 2018 and have been trouble-free since that time.

If it matters, the camera is hardwired from a Blackvue battery. The battery works fine and is still visible in the battery app. It's the camera(s) that are not booting. I reformatted the SD card in hopes it would correct the problem but it did not.

Did my camera(s) die just shy of 3 years?

Thanks for any help,
Chappy

Did my camera(s) die just shy of 3 years?
Welcome to DCT @ChappyEight :)

It's possible the cam has died, but before giving up, try disconnecting the rear cam and see if it then boots up; if so it's a rear cam or cable problem. If not, they try booting the cam without a card and see what happens- it that gets it responsive you need a new card. If we're still getting no response there should be a "hard reset" procedure for the cam which needs to be tried first. If the owner's manual doesn't cover the procedure, then a message to your seller or Blackvue's tech support people should do the trick.

If that doesn't work then Blackvue tech support may have something more they can do. IIRC Blackvue offers a repair service, or used to, which might get you going again at a lower cost than replacing the cam. Again IIRC that may take awhile. Cams usually last longer than this, but with any mass-produced item there will be a small percentage that don't- it's the luck if the draw sometimes.

Phil

The high pitched noise almost always indicates a bricked camera, unfortunately, but here are some more things to try:

1. Power on the dash cam via the vehicle's 12V socket and see if anything changes (AKA bypass battery pack)
2. Do a firmware reflash by following the instructions here www.blackvue.com/downloads

I think I'm in a similar boat with my 900s-2ch. Happened just last night. In terms of replacements, what are my options? I have a 750s-2ch front and rear mounts with a 750s-2ch rear camera and cables.

The front and rear mounts, front/rear cable, and power cables are interchangeable between the DR900S and DR750S.

The front and rear mounts, front/rear cable, and power cables are interchangeable between the DR900S and DR750S.
How about the 900X? Just curious for future reference if anything goes TU with my install.

How about the 900X? Just curious for future reference if anything goes TU with my install.

Mounts and front/rear cable are the same, but the power cable is different (including hardwire kit).

I filed a repair request with Blackvue for $75 and they replaced my broken 900S-2CH with a 900X-2CH instead of fixing the broken camera.

replaced my broken 900S-2CH with a 900X-2CH
That says it all, the 900S is dead to Blackvue/Pittasoft.

Add to that the release of the 900X-Plus, their 3rd iteration of the 900 series, they seem to want us to forget the 900S ever existed. But funnily enough, I agree with that.

Now Pittasoft, please release the 900X-Plus to the Australian distributor. Please.

That says it all, the 900S is dead to Blackvue/Pittasoft.

Add to that the release of the 900X-Plus, their 3rd iteration of the 900 series, they seem to want us to forget the 900S ever existed. But funnily enough, I agree with that.

Now Pittasoft, please release the 900X-Plus to the Australian distributor. Please.

It's more that so that the DR900S is discontinued since it's an older unit.

We can supply to Australia, just email us.

Last edited:
I must be a rarity, I purchased my 900S-2CH three years ago and I've never had a single problem with mine. It's still going strong and working just fine.

I have the exact same problem. Dr900s 2ch has just stopped turning on.
Have tried hard reset and direct connections to 12v. No luck!
Can't be bothered to recable my car to dr900x so will just rebuy a new 900s

Could be wire problems, that is a frequent thing with rear cameras acting up, at least to my memory it seem much more frequent than the rear camera actually dying, or that channel in the main camera.

its the front camera that has stopped responding

Hello. I had the same brick problem with the 900s. High pitch and all.

I changed the camera to a 900X plus, I read just now about the repair service but too late, got powercord changed but parking mode stopped working since it powers down and doesn't recognize my Cellink Pro battery, I guess it has something to do with the hardwiring 3 cable thing which was not upgraded. It's getting really frustrating. They made it so you have to redo all the things.

I will try to update if I get this parking mode thing gets fixed and how I done it, but bleh, after the expensive 900s dies and having to redo all this ****t

Hello. I had the same brick problem with the 900s. High pitch and all.

I changed the camera to a 900X plus, I read just now about the repair service but too late, got powercord changed but parking mode stopped working since it powers down and doesn't recognize my Cellink Pro battery, I guess it has something to do with the hardwiring 3 cable thing which was not upgraded. It's getting really frustrating. They made it so you have to redo all the things.

I will try to update if I get this parking mode thing gets fixed and how I done it, but bleh, after the expensive 900s dies and having to redo all this ****t

Assuming the 3-wire hardwiring harness was installed correctly, you might want to check a firmware setting.

The firmware setting System / Battery Protection must be enabled to have the DR900X-2CH Plus go into parking mode. If the "Battery Protection" setting is disabled, the dash cam will shutdown when the accessory power is removed. With the "Battery Protection" setting enabled, you should also make sure the "Low voltage cut-off" setting is set to an appropriate value. Using a dash cam battery pack, you could set the "Passenger vehicle" setting to 11.8 volts.

Back